Football Commentators Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    Al Jazeera Sport +3 12:00-20:30

Arsenal v Blackburn - Ben Andrews

9 minutes in. Not sure i'll be able to last another 81. This is AWFUL.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    Wrexham V Gainsborough Trinity (FA Trophy Semi Final 1st leg)

S4C - Dylan Ebenezer hosting from the Glyndŵr University Racecourse Stadium with Dai Davies and John Hartson.

Port Talbot Town V Bangor City (Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League)

Dai Davies has left, but Dylan Ebenzer and John Hartson are still at the Glyndŵr University Racecourse Stadium.

Commentary is from Mike Davies and Tommi Morgan

I didn't notice this, but S4C will also be showing a live Welsh Premier League game should they play on a Friday, live through the Sgorio website. Bryn Tomos did Prestatyn Town V Airbus UK Broughton last night.
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »

He not very good is he. I suppose its who you know and not how good you are that gets you the work these days!!
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    Personally, I think Keys would have done great with Gary Neville too and I could easily see them having more Banter.

Why has everything got to be about "banter" these days?

I want a presenter to have some level of gravitas, be able to read an autocue, and be able to engage their guests in discussion, particularly those guests who lack TV experience and thus need a bit more coaxing. I'm not really that fussed if they're not cracking jokes with people.

In fact, as far as the concept of "banter" is concerned, I'd rather see and hear as little as possible on football broadcasts.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Was the ill fated Luton v Millwall game in 1985 shown live?
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »

His goal just a minute ago was laughable. He never knew straight away he had even gone in!! JOKE
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Was the ill fated Luton v Millwall game in 1985 shown live?

No it wasn't. It was just on 'Sportsnight' with John Motson doing the commentary!!
    Forum Member
    Chievo v Palermo

World Feed - Paul Visca
    Forum Member
    Malaga v Athletic Bilbao

World Feed - Nick Simons
    Forum Member
    For the ITV highlights tonight:

MK Dons v Barnsley - Joe Speight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    All in all its a very good package and i for one glad i have it, although its a shame out 15 Sports channels they have, only 3 are HD.
    Do you have the other Arabic channel that shows Premier League as well? Abu Dhabi Sports I think it's called.
    Forum Member
    sigmundv wrote: »
    Do you have the other Arabic channel that shows Premier League as well? Abu Dhabi Sports I think it's called.

You cant pick that up in the UK. Its out of our range, although their are other ways to get their channels!!
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dickov in the studio a week after his departure from Oldham.

Slightly akward!
  • Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Aberdeen v Dundee- Alasdair Lamont
    Forum Member
    FC Twente v Willem II

World Feed - Steve Bower
  • Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »

I want a presenter to have some level of gravitas, be able to read an autocue, and be able to engage their guests in discussion, particularly those guests who lack TV experience and thus need a bit more coaxing. I'm not really that fussed if they're not cracking jokes with people.

In fact, as far as the concept of "banter" is concerned, I'd rather see and hear as little as possible on football broadcasts.

These days?
    Saint and Greavsie used to have banter
    Jimmy Hill and Terry Venables used to have banter during Italia 90
    The Sky "20 years montage" showed banter which humanised the people, such as when Ian Darke mentioned something about maths

In life, if you don't crack a joke it can make people nervous. "you could cut the atmosphere with a knife" and then with a little joke here, the atmosphere goes and everyones at ease and comfortable.
    For all this talk of banter, Richard Keys is professionalism personified. Obviously behind the camera he's more 'normal' and rightfully so, hence why it's not broadcast live.

But Football in particular lends itself to banter but it's even there in shows. Ant and Dec have banter otherwise it would be pretty boring. The Cricket guys on Sky have banter, even the beloved Gary Neville has banter with Martin Tyler and comes out with funny comments.

Banter humanises people. If two channels are showing the same thing then most people will turn to the channel that's informative and relaxed with a joke here and there.

Anyways, banter is not a new thing. Infact it's a very old thing if you watch old episodes of Match of the Day or The Big Match on ITV. Plus Football lends itself to banter unless you want the game to become even more po faced and serious than it already is.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »

you aren't Roy Keane by any chance? ;)
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Clive & Andy at Oldham

Who was at Luton earlier for ESPN?

EDIT: There's light hearted moments which are needed between presenters/commentators/pundits.

What isn't needed is sexual harassment & bullying which Keys & Gray were accused of
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    It's Clive & Andy at Oldham

Who was at Luton earlier for ESPN?

Jon & Craig!!! ;)
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presenters wiser I meant :D
    Forum Member

In that case, i havent a clue as was watching Al Jazeera's coverage and i still am!! :D
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't know about pundits, but Rebecca Lowe was presenting - I got that from this post in the "Rebecca Lowe" thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64284377&postcount=14
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca Lowe presented with Steve McManaman and a guy whose name I can't remember (I think he had some former affiliation to Luton) as pundits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sigmundv wrote: »
    Rebecca Lowe presented with Steve McManaman and a guy whose name I can't remember (I think he had some former affiliation to Luton) as pundits.

It was Brian Stein who played for Luton for a number of years and scored the winning goal in the League Cup final against Arsenal in 1988.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dortmund v Frankfurt - Bundesliga (ESPN HD)

Commentators:
    Jim Proudfoot & Stewart Robson
This discussion has been closed.