The Truth About Sugar, 9pm, BBC1

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
Disappointing and boring so far.

They are making mistakes by not distinguishing between sugar and added sugar. Like saying ketchup has high sugar but most of that sugar is from the tomatoes.

Comments

• clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I find Fiona Phillips intolerable.

And is it really surprising that sweet & sour sauce and fizzy drinks are high in sugar?
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »

And is it really surprising that sweet & sour sauce and fizzy drinks are high in sugar?

Exactly. I wonder how much she was paid for just stating the blinking obvious.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw the thread title I was hoping it might be the Truth About Lord Sugar. Disappointing indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    When I saw the thread title I was hoping it might be the Truth About Lord Sugar. Disappointing indeed.

Now that would have been more interesting! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fiona's getting to look a bit like Gillian McKeith. :)
    Forum Member
    This doesn't strike me as particularly scientific, the team that ate more might just have had a bit of a guts on it, or had people on it that had gone longer without food
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what I thought as well.:D
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    This doesn't strike me as particularly scientific, the team that ate more might just have had a bit of a guts on it, or had people on it that had gone longer without food

I agree, this has been a bit of a shambles, could have been interesting :cry:
  • BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    This is a really lazy programme, not all sugars are the same as this programme is suggesting...for crying out loud I am scared to drink orange juice tomorrow haha...and no mention of the fact that most natural sugars are quite healthy in balance with a fairly average active lifestyle so far
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A programme truly worthy of being on itv
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha! Bloody sugar companies have been spreading scare stories about artificial sweeteners for years
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, what a boring programme. Does Fiona practice what she preaches ? She doesn't exactly look a picture of health to me.
    Forum Member
    God, what a boring programme. Does Fiona practice what she preaches ? She doesn't exactly look a picture of health to me.

A sure sign that she's probably on every trendy fad 'healthy' diet going.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What age is she ? She seems to have aged very badly ?
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh look, let's make yet another tv programme about sugar, call it "the TRUTH about sugar", yet tell us everything we already know plus some lazy unscientific 'facts', and get some mouthy, preachy has-been tv presenter to front it. Waste of time
    Forum Member
    In defiance of the nonsense I've just watched I'm going to have an extra spoonful of sugar on my sugar puffs tomorrow morning and wash it down with an extra sugary coffee
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ditto. Potentially interesting programme unwatched on my part due to her involvement.
  • BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    In defiance of the nonsense I've just watched I'm going to have an extra spoonful of sugar on my sugar puffs tomorrow morning and wash it down with an extra sugary coffee

I'd press like to ur comment if there was that button on ds haha...bloody rubbish programme wasted last hour of me life lol
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    Fi Phillips looks haggared
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    I though Fi and her hubby bought a pub...............surely loads of sugar there
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same. I was expecting quite the shocking exposé.

What is the truth about sugar, then?
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Similar but (ironically) light version of other recent programmes on the same sublect.

HOWEVER - with the netball teams - there were 9 women on the Red (Sugar) team at the end - but only 7 in the blue team stood next to the table of food.

So obviously there would be more eaten off the red table if there were 2 more people !!

I cannot be bothered to watch on i-player - but if someone is going to watch or watch again - please count the netball players at the start of the segment on each team, and let us know if they were fiddling it.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show made my blood boil

A week after Comic Relief and the BBC fill a room with tables of food to tell us "Sugar is bad".. a scientist fills 5 bowls with sugar, Syrup & Honey to say "They`re all the same thing"

Fiona gets people to guess the amount of sugar in a drink by putting spoons of sugar in a bowl.. why didn`t she just ask them to tell her how many. >:(

Anyway, this must be the 50th program to tell us about the dangers of sugar
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sugar is not inherently bad. Added sugar is, because it is unnecessary calories and generally no nutrients.

Sugar also does not cause type 2 diabetes, fat does. Fatty blood stops insulin being able to transport glucose from the blood into cells (almost all of which are fuelled by glucose) and so the sugar builds up in the blood.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any TV programme with 'The Truth About...' in front of the title immediately makes me skeptical about how much truth it's going to contain.