Argo - starring & directed by Ben Affleck

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Yes I thought it was good and built genuine tension for the end, but I would not have been surprised if it had been a made for tv film as opposed to winning the biggest accolade there is.

Am I the only one not to be moved by the so called "tension" at the end??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the film but it annoys me that 'historical facts' have been altered. And for me, this detracts from it as there is no overt message to say that they have done this.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one not to be moved by the so called "tension" at the end??

I wasn't particularly moved as it was obvious what was going to happen but I still enjoyed the film and could watch it over and over again. The chemistry of the cast was perfect.

I noticed the actors who played joke and kathy Stafford were particularly strong, Kerry bishe and scoot mcnairy are the actors I believe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the film but it annoys me that 'historical facts' have been altered. And for me, this detracts from it as there is no overt message to say that they have done this.

I was fine with them changing/ignoring/saying the opposite of the 'historical facts' for the film. But the fact they didn't correct themselves during the text before the end credits, it's unforgivable. The film itself is a work of fictions, things need to be changed for it to work. But the end text was presented in a manner that implied it was the whole truth, even though it was not, which is lying to the audience and treating them with contempt.

(And I'm tempted to argue that this was racist of the producers/Affleck, cos there's no way in hell they'd have completely wiped out America from a historical film (infact they tend to overplay America's role in everything), and if it was China or Korea they'd have re-editted the film to avoid offending people, But because it's Britain and New Zealand, they don't give a shit.)

That said I really enjoyed the film...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Its one of those film that will be forgotten with time, we'll look back at Argo like we do for Crash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was fine with them changing/ignoring/saying the opposite of the 'historical facts' for the film. But the fact they didn't correct themselves during the text before the end credits, it's unforgivable. The film itself is a work of fictions, things need to be changed for it to work. But the end text was presented in a manner that implied it was the whole truth, even though it was not, which is lying to the audience and treating them with contempt.

(And I'm tempted to argue that this was racist of the producers/Affleck, cos there's no way in hell they'd have completely wiped out America from a historical film (infact they tend to overplay America's role in everything), and if it was China or Korea they'd have re-editted the film to avoid offending people, But because it's Britain and New Zealand, they don't give a shit.)

That said I really enjoyed the film...

I completely agree.

But hopefully jalal is right and most people will forget it in awhile.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    While I enjoyed the film, and I can forgive altering the story for dramatic effect, there is a point in the film where the CIA boss says "the Brits and the New Zealanders are of no help". This is a blatant lie and is altering historical facts. The 6 Americans were actually housed at the British Embassy for several days and it was the New Zealanders who drove them across Tehran to the Canadian Embassy (a very dangerous thing to do, given the circumstances). So while I agree with condencing history to move the plot along, I don't agree with out and out altering of history, that part in the film should have just been left out!
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    Its one of those film that will be forgotten with time, we'll look back at Argo like we do for Crash.

I wold hardly call Crash forgotten - everyone talks about it as the film that beat Brokeback Mountain to the Oscar.

I think this will be remembered similarly, for Affleck's Best Director snub more than anything else.

Which is a shame, because I think both this and Crash are great movies, regardless of the actual politics.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I enjoyed the film, and I can forgive altering the story for dramatic effect, there is a point in the film where the CIA boss says "the Brits and the New Zealanders are of no help". This is a blatant lie and is altering historical facts. The 6 Americans were actually housed at the British Embassy for several days and it was the New Zealanders who drove them across Tehran to the Canadian Embassy (a very dangerous thing to do, given the circumstances). So while I agree with condencing history to move the plot along, I don't agree with out and out altering of history, that part in the film should have just been left out!

Yes, I was disappointed when I heard that. I remembered that line.

Has anyone got the Blu-Ray/DVD and know which scenes are added in the Extended Cut??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Has anyone got the Blu-Ray/DVD and know which scenes are added in the Extended Cut??

Primarily family background stuff (nothing major), but you can read a full comparison here: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=566268
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoyed the film, but fully agree with that.

I can understand not showing any of the Brit or NZ involvement due to time constraints and moving the story along. But to actually add in a bit that derides the people who risked their lives for the Americans is quite out of order IMO.