Code to use bypass Talktalk and use BT line

Hello!

Was wondering if someone could help me... I need to send an important fax to Bangladesh, but the line quality using 18418 is AWFUL on talktalk... resulting in the fax not being sent correctly... also talktalk won't let me dial the number directly.

I read that there is a code that you can dial (a 4 digit code??) before the international number that allows a call to be routed through the BT network instead of TalkTalk's? I remember when I was with BT it used to be perfect a line to Bangladesh...

Does anyone know what this code is??

THANKS!!

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    If you have a BT line, the code is 1280.

If, however, you have signed your line over to Talk Talk too (i.e. you no longer pay BT for line rental - as appears to be the case from your profile), that won't work.

If you have a Talk Talk landline and Talk Talk's line is too noisy, your best bet is to dial via a gateway provider.

For 3p/minute:

0844calls - 0844 439 9898
    Bestminutes - 0844 439 2424
    DiscountDial - 0844 439 9494

BTW, the BT price for a call to Bangladesh on a weekday is 25p/minute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    FANTASTIC!!! i managed to send the fax using one of the gateway providers you mentioned! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...<wonders how it is possible that talktalk has worse quality international lines than cheap access providers!>
    Forum Member
    It's interesting too that Talk Talk's rate to Bangladesh appears to be 6p/minute but, using the gateway provider, you paid 3p/minute!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    still cheaper than BT though, and you also have to consider that you have to pay for that 0844 call also
    Forum Member
    pavvi wrote:
    still cheaper than BT though, and you also have to consider that you have to pay for that 0844 call also
    I think you mean instead.

For the call in question, TT's poor line quality meant the call could not be made via them so, instead of 6p/minute for an unintelligible line, use of an 0844 gateway provider resulted in use of an intelligible line - for 3p/minute.