Downloaded free malware yesterday asking for fee today

wsgwsg Posts: 185
Forum Member
I downloaded the free version of malware yesterday and this morning I had an on screen message saying my free trial had ended and asked me for a renewal free I thought malware was free for any length of time?

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we talking malwarebytes? My money is on at some point during download/installation it asked you if you wanted to trial the paid for version and you said yes. 24 hours is a short trial, though.
    Try uninstalling it and installing the actual free version, maybe.
  • wsgwsg Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I asked for the malwarebytes free version
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..............and make sure you get it from a reliable source!
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan F wrote: »
    ..............and make sure you get it from a reliable source!
    Indeed. It sounds as though you did download malware as opposed to malwarebytes as you say in your OP!

Only download from www.malwarebytes.org,

And don't forget rule #1: Type in that address - don't click on a link from a poster you don't know! Unless your browser shows you it's genuine when you hover over it.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wsg wrote: »

There's only the one version that downloads, and there's a tick box during the install that asks if you want to try the pro version for free for 14 days.
    It's ticked by default (if I remember right), so you have to untick it to use the free version.

Even if you run the trial version by mistake it's only the live scanning part that finishes after 14 days, you can use and update the on-demand scanner for ever more. It does keep giving you annoying pop-ups about the trial being finished though. :o:D
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Moral of the story: always read carefully what is displayed on the screen.

As above, there is a little box you have to untick on the last stage of the installation.
  • MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just uninstall the thing
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, don't just click Next> yes> yes> default> install but read those options....Malwarebytes will install the Pro version as a trial unless you untick the option during installation regardless of the fact you clicked and downloaded the free version.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice guys I will uninstall and start again
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Moral of the story: always read carefully what is displayed on the screen.

As above, there is a little box you have to untick on the last stage of the installation.

Which is often not easy! I regularly service a friend's computer. He does not look properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is often not easy! I regularly service a friend's computer. He does not look properly.

It IS easy if folk DO look and read through stuff properly...
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »

Learning disabilities don't help either. Not everyone can read or read efficiently.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

Yep. A lot of people tend to just hit the next button without properly looking at what's above the next button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learning disabilities don't help either. Not everyone can read or read efficiently.

Not meaning to be funny but if they can't read, what are they doing installing software on a computer/laptop? They could be installing anything on it.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Not meaning to be funny but if they can't read, what are they doing installing software on a computer/laptop? They could be installing anything on it.

Exactly. The result is often nasty and my friend goes into a panic.

I was woken up at 2am by an anxious phone call.

https://support.google.com/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1386831

"What does this mean? Can you come round. I will pay you £10 for the inconvenience."
    Forum Member
    I tried again and clicked on FREE and what I got was ARO 2013 it said nothing about malwarebytes?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried again and clicked on FREE and what I got was ARO 2013 it said nothing about malwarebytes?
    Just precisely what website did you go to and what buttons did you click on?

As an experiment I went to malwarebytes.org then clicked on the white "Free Download" button which took me to the Download.com website which has a big green "Download Now" button on it. Clicked that and it opens a new page with various other bits of software advertised on it but after a couple of seconds a box pops up asking if I want to save the file or run it.

Definitely the correct installer going by the file name. Didn't bother to download it as I'm on a Mac at the moment so not much point :)
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:rolleyes:

This is an absolute direct link to the file CLICK HERE

And It will download the installer for malware bytes. Follow the instructions carefully during setup.

I get no adverts extras or options to switch to non-free version when I tried it and I went up to the install part.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is likely that you went to, or were redirected to, the CNET website in order to download Malwarebytes.

The following Malwarebytes forum post suggests a similar issue caused when someone has hit the wrong download button:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=122127&p=643041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they don't get it after clicking on the above link, something funny's going on.
    Forum Member
    Chrisr I used your suggestion megabytes.org and got ARO 2013 and primalice if I click on your suggestion the free download still says ARO 2013.?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chrisr I used your suggestion megabytes.org and got ARO 2013 and primalice if I click on your suggestion the free download still says ARO 2013.?
    Does the filename that you are asked to save in the download say mbam-setup-1.75.0.1300.exe?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

This is an absolute direct link to the file {LINK REMOVED}
    And It will download the installer for malware bytes. Follow the instructions carefully during setup.

I get no adverts extras or options to switch to non-free version when I tried it and I went up to the install part.
    For all I know that could well be a malicious post. Just hover over the CLICK HERE link in the original and see what comes up in the bottom line of your browser. As I warned in my own post #5, only download from the official malwarebytes site, and never, ever, click on a link where you can't see what it's pointing to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

malwarebytes.org not megabytes.org...

I'll err on the side of caution and say you've already got some malware that is preventing malwarebytes from downloading and installing...
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That links directly to the file. So what exactly says ARO 2013? Thw webpage? The file you are asked to download? The installer program?

I have searched for this problem and there are a few references to Aero 2013. I have provided a mirror link below in case cnet is up to no good.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/dl/7/?1

Again this is a direct link to the setup file.

I don't quite know whats going on but I have some nasty suspicions.