What price ITV Kids going on air January 1st? :D
  • steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In full:

ITV News Channel to close before Christmas

Jason Deans, broadcasting editor
    Monday December 19, 2005

The ITV News Channel is to cease broadcasting on Friday, more than a month earlier than expected.

ITV said it had brought forward the closure date for the rolling news service to December 23, following talks with ITV News Channel staff and suppliers.

Full Article: www.mediaguardian.co.uk

*admin edit* please do not post full articles to which you do not hold the copyright. Instead, please provide a link to the article and a brief description as you see fit.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tsk tsk, steviem.

By all means quote a bit (and put the link to the full article) but you shouldn't quote the whole thing on DS...

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any one know an time for coming off air, that should be an interesting watch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,364
    Forum Member
    MH1 wrote:
    any one know an time for coming off air, that should be an interesting watch

At a guess 6pm?

Although they could try and hide it by doing it when no one is watching. Say once they start repeating the late news overnight it just dissapears?
  • GarethHarrisonGarethHarrison Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What price ITV Kids going on air January 1st? :D

Doubt it, they've still been doing interviews for jobs there this last week. Can't see they'd have all the staff in place to launch any earlier.
  • iain_smithiain_smith Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is unbeleivable.Why is parliament not debating this ?I am organising a demonstration for this friday outside ITV HQ im so angry :mad:
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,476
    Forum Member
    iain_smith wrote:
    This is unbeleivable.Why is parliament not debating this ?I am organising a demonstration for this friday outside ITV HQ im so angry :mad:

Hmmm, commercial company starts doing something and then stops doing it because it can't afford it.... happens all the time, why should officialdom be interested?
  • OrnsackOrnsack Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad, but I'm 97% sure we'll all get over it :)
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
    Forum Member
    Yet another ITV Shambles, who is running the company?, Laurel & Hardy?.
  • Alpha-Sun2Alpha-Sun2 Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THIS friday? just a weeks notice?? it was only last week that the news came up about it.
  • Malcolm AJMalcolm AJ Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's closing - get over it!
    KennyT wrote:
    Tsk tsk, steviem.

By all means quote a bit (and put the link to the full article) but you shouldn't quote the whole thing on DS...

K

And why not? What's your point?
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malcolm AJ wrote:
    ...And why not? What's your point?

Because intellectual/copyright laws mean that it's not allowed. Original source websites (apart from BBC) are funded by people visiting it and seeing adverts. If you post the entire contents of an article on DS, then you are removing a set of potential visitors to the source website. Also, check item 2.2 of the Ts&Cs of posting on DS forums...

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By closing this Friday it means their wage bill is not increased because they do not have to pay anyone Christmas rate wages.
  • most_hauntedmost_haunted Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been a fan of ITV NC for a while now, and so will be a bit sad to see it go, but I'll watch Sky News instead. It will be great to see the last mintues of the channel and see it closing down... I never saw Plus or any other channel close down before!

If anyone gets the time it will close can they please post it on here? Thanks!
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should we all start placing bets on how long it is before the other shareholders of ITN give in and sell out to allow ITV to own ITN outright ?

I think it wont be too long , and I wouldn't mind betting something else as well. When they do own ITN outright , as if by magic ITV News Channel will make a hasty return to our screens.

Just my little prediction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote:
    Should we all start placing bets on how long it is before the other shareholders of ITN give in and sell out to allow ITV to own ITN outright ?

I think it wont be too long , and I wouldn't mind betting something else as well. When they do own ITN outright , as if by magic ITV News Channel will make a hasty return to our screens.

Just my little prediction.
    Why waste money buying out other shareholders when you can start up your own wholly owned subsidiary?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been a fan of ITV NC for a while now, and so will be a bit sad to see it go, but I'll watch Sky News instead. It will be great to see the last mintues of the channel and see it closing down... I never saw Plus or any other channel close down before!

If anyone gets the time it will close can they please post it on here? Thanks!

What was Plus?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote:

Well...perhaps ITV will get out of news altogether.... :)

Imagine ITV sub contracting news out to an independant contractor, all regional news bulletins coming from a London News centre...

Mobile news teams the length of the UK would gather news and send it in electronically to the London HQ, regional news programmes then being produced using a 'pool' of core presenters.

The current ITV production centres could then close, saving ooodles of money!

Remember where you heard it first!

;)
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craigr98 wrote:
    By closing this Friday it means their wage bill is not increased because they do not have to pay anyone Christmas rate wages.

Actually, they have to pay any staff who are made redundant for thirty days regardless of whether those staff are actually working, so it won't save them any money on wages.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Xmas hoildays would be a great time to kick off CITV with all the kids being off school - don't you think?
  • gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    craigr98 wrote:

According to "press gazette" the decision to close earlier:
    ...came at the behest of ITN staff working on the channel....
    http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/article/191205/date_for_news_channel_closure_revealed
    (Source: press gazette)

Also worthy of note- a statement dated today from the union, Bectu, concerning the disputes procedure and the plight of ITN staff:
    Unions at ITN have placed the proposed closure of the ITV News Channel into dispute, which could possibly lead to industrial action.
    http://www.bectu.org.uk/news/ib/ni0179.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craigr98 wrote:
    What was Plus?

Previously known as Granada Plus it was GSkyB's archive channel. Closed so that ITV could use their EPG slot and jump a long queue of channels waiting at the time to launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lnp wrote:
    Previously known as Granada Plus it was GSkyB's archive channel. Closed so that ITV could use their EPG slot and jump a long queue of channels waiting at the time to launch.

How did it close? Didnt it close half way through a programme?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well...perhaps ITV will get out of news altogether.... :)

Imagine ITV sub contracting news out to an independant contractor, all regional news bulletins coming from a London News centre...

Mobile news teams the length of the UK would gather news and send it in electronically to the London HQ, regional news programmes then being produced using a 'pool' of core presenters.

The current ITV production centres could then close, saving ooodles of money!

Remember where you heard it first!

;)
    Are you talking about Sky? Imagine all our TV news coming from either Sky or the constantly under threat BBC. A bright new world indeed. Who says deregulation is a bad thing?