Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Comments

• Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having to shoehorn into the categories doesn't work either. Some are tenuous at best.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    Jon Richardson seemed uneasy, coming across as miserly with his comments about hating his friends settling down

That's his particular 'schtick', he's like that on most shows
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awkward episode. I honestly don't know how Jon Richardson is a comedian considering how awkward he is, that Strictly guy and the old woman were rude towards him but he seemed like he was genuinely unsettled by them. Nothing about that episode made me laugh.
  • Dr.GDr.G Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    sofialady wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how Jon Richardson is a comedian considering how awkward he is

A lot of people can relate to feeling like the awkward one and often people enjoy what they can relate to most.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skinner just isnt personable enough for this show.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the show last night. It's getting worse - all thanks to Frank getting more smart-arsey each time he appears on this series.Plus having 3 guests on doesn't work at all & the BBC should revert to its original format and sack the smug presenter & replace him with someone less irritating.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught the last half of last night's episode and I thought it was fine. Contrary to others, I did think there was some chemistry between them i.e. Craig Revel-Horwood mocking Jon Richardson in the final round, which I'm sure was done in jest rather than with any genuine malice.
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    I've always thought that Sheila Hancock was a right cow ever since I saw her on HIGNFY years ago, mocking Angus Deayton. And tonight just further cemented it. I'm no fan of Jon Richardson, I think he's overrated and always struggles on 8 out of 10 cats. It's my opinion that he gets by on adoring females coming to his shows. But calling him weird like that was just out of order and bitchy seeming.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    The direction on this show is odd. The top of the heads of the celebs are usually 'cut off' by the camera - I thought there was something wrong with my TV's picture ration for a while. It must be deliberate but I can't see what the reason is - it used to be a no-no for TV directors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much preferred the other series of the programme. I don't like the 3 guests at all. It takes too long and adds nothing IMO.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    If there's only one guest and you don't like him or her, the whole show is spoilt. At least now there's a bit of variety.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    If there's only one guest and you don't like him or her, the whole show is spoilt. At least now there's a bit of variety.

I suggested that previously, there have been several on in the last few weeks who I would have switched off if they were on the programme on their own.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,200
    Forum Member
    I liked the Paul Merton years of Room 101.

The current format i found uneasy watching at first, but i've warmed to it. Frank Skinner has some one liners and got Craig-Revell-Horwood telling a joke last night which was funny in itself.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »

This is one of the reasons why the new format does work. But, you can still end up with shite. As exemplified by this latest episode, it can happen that all 3 guests are pretty bad to worse...

I only knew one of them. And just roundabout. Jon Richardson y'all tell me is his name. He's very sub-par. The lady was quite irritating. And the guy in the middle was especially irritating (imagine a weak poser choosing his pose from some weak and dreadful hack of some old dickish schtick)...

Chicken egg bad mood bad show.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I laughed. Silly half hour. Jon Richardson 3rd time I've seen him on tv recently I've laughed my socks off each time. YouTube his appearance on HIGNFY presented by Benedict Cumberbatch. Richardson is very funny its also got funnies from Victoria Coren.:D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching the repeat, needs to go back to the old format IMO.
    Frank filling all over the place with jokes, pictures, videos, just doesn't let the thing flow.
    The guests can't get into their stride, well they probably do at the filming and it's edited down.
    I did laugh at points and smiled mostly, but a fair bit was at the awkwardness of it.

No fan of Paul Merton on the show, but I'd suffer him doing it again or even Frank if it was a single guest.
    I don't put the show on reminder or make a point of watching it like I used to, I just come across the occasional repeat by accident.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a past series of the Frank Skinner hosted version of the show, the winner was allowed to put an item totally unchallenged into Room 101. They seem to have dropped that, which is a shame as at least the winner got something else as reward.
  • fifi_folEfifi_folE Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried to watch the new series, but could not get into it all. I remember recording Paul Merton on the original radio version with Nick Hancock hosting it (still have it on cassette). They had set categories then, as remember Paul trying to get Edinburgh in as his place (he didn't succeed).
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    In a past series of the Frank Skinner hosted version of the show, the winner was allowed to put an item totally unchallenged into Room 101. They seem to have dropped that, which is a shame as at least the winner got something else as reward.

Matters not a jot what they do or don't get in, unless they've argued a good/amusing case, they haven't 'won' IMO.

In the current format the arguments really aren't that strong, not enough time.
    The guest and host don't really get into the swing of things.
    It doesn't seem like Frank's swayed by arguments anyway, ,just seems like a whim.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they've painted themselves into a corner. If they revert back to 1 on 1 then it could be seen as a failure.

Not sure of the ratings. Obviously some will like the new format, some will prefer the old. Some may have not seen the previous versions. Some may not care either way.

Skinner has hosted a chat show though so should be ok on a 1 to 1 format discussing the items in more depth as Hancock and Merton did.
    Forum Member
    Series 3 starts tonight at 8:30pm
    Frank Skinner hosts as guests Richard Osman, Joan Bakewell and Roisin Conaty battle to banish their top peeve or worst nightmare to the depths of Room 101

Doesn't seem to be an Extra Storage edition this time round.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt like I should have recognised Roisin but I don't recognise her name - is she a singer or an actor?. I noticed Richard made a pun by accident that people didn't seem to pick up on, when
    complaining about people pointing out that he's tall, he said 'by and large' - yes, very large boom boom! :D (Ok I suppose he's more tall than large if you think that just means being fat but you know what I mean...
    Forum Member
    She's a comedienne and actress.

She was recently in Man Down with Greg Davies
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but I find Richard Osman & Frank Skinner strangely attractive so tonight was two thumbs up from me. Why did they have to show that bit of Bambi though :mad:
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to believe that Joan Bakewell is nearly 81!