Bryan Forbes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
Forum Member
Sad to hear one of the great stalwarts of British Cinema -as Actor and Director- has died today aged 86.
Whistle Down the Wind was perhaps his best film, but look him up on imdb and see what a fine body of work he leaves behind,
Always seemed a good, decent, modest man.

Comments

• mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one? I must be getting old, this seems to be happening too often for comfort.

Probably a somewhat underrated director as his more high profile latter films were the likes of International Velvet and The Slipper and the Rose. But King Rat, Whistle Down the Wind, The Wrong Box and Seance on a Wet Afternoon plus his work as a writer and producer means he is significant in post war British cinema.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Another one? I must be getting old, this seems to be happening too often for comfort.
    I feel the same! I loved a lot of Bryan Forbes directorial work - his Stepford Wives was bloody brilliant - as was King Rat. As an actor I found him excellent as Eric in An Inspector Calls and he turned in a solid performance in one of my favourite films of all time - The League of Gentlemen.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    His death means that there are only one member of the League Of Gentlemen left,

Richard Attenborough
  • lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bryan Forbes always seemed to me a gentleman and nice genuine man. As said by others his talent and contribution to British cinema seems underrated. Sad news of his death, very sad for Nannette Newman.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i met bryan (and michael williams, judy dench's husband) and he was charming and an absolute gentleman as was michael...very sad to hear of his death.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AKA Turk Thrust in "A Shot in the Dark".:) RIP.