Torchwood - Episode 3: 'Ghost Machine' (BBC3, 29th Oct 2006)

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobodies mentioned Roj Blake yet? ;)

Had no idea Gareth Thomas was in the series till he opened the door.

I had a feeling some people would find this too slow for their tastes. I could have done with a little bit more action myself but still voted it Very Good.

Cyberstuff next week.
  • CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode so far by a country mile. It was nice to see the whole team working together in their respective roles - they all seem to have their place and it's good. (Apart from Ianto - POINTLESS OR WHAT?!)... I like the human angle with Gwen's boyfriend too... and the story was just streets ahead of the first 2 episodes.
  • paul-whitepaul-white Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    neolxs2000 wrote:
    Does Torchwood have any actual powers such as MI5 or MI6? Or are they a secret orgainisation? Because I find it strange that they can get people to talk without showing them any ID, and cross police lines where a series crime has been commited!
    And there's only five of them!
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted 'very good' for that. My only two gripes were that it seemed totally bizarre that Gwen pressed the button the first time for no apparent reason. It made her look really stupid - 'ooo, look, an alien device with flashy buttons, let's press them!' Later on it more carefully insinuated that the device draws you in to pressing it once activated but I think they could have played that up a bit more the first time with Gwen's initial reaction.

There was also the odd Strictly Come Dancing mention. They said they'd been watching the final and that newsreader won. The only news reader to win it was Kaplinsky in 2004. Now this means one of two things - 1. The series is set in 2004 and that is a subtly clue or 2. The writer doesn't know her SCD very well!

Those little gripes aside the rest was very good. I liked that they stuck to the psychological, especially with the so far very unsympathetic Owen. I very much liked the fact that neither Jack nor he were right or wrong - Jack was right to say there was no point in investigating the case as there is nothing they could do without evidence, but Owen was morally right about not letting the guy get away with it. Overall the whole episode was very well acted by Burn in particular. His shock after seeing and feeling what had happened to the girl was well played. I liked the way they made him be sympathetic but still a bit of a t*sser.

I was also quite surprised by some of the twists at the end. I caught on just a few moments before they did that the kid was black mailing him and I really did think that Owen was the one that was going to kill him, Gwen would stop him and all would be well...Nicely written.

I also liked that they brought flirty!Jack back for this episode too. I the gun training sequence he knew EXACTLY what he was doing and it's good to see that the little bit of a sod in him is still very much intact. It's good too that they're making Gwen's boyfriend a nice guy who she obviously really loves. No Mickey Smith this time.

The trailer for next week looks great. I know some people will say it keeps changing and doesn't settle down, but I like the different styles of episodes. And next week looks like it will give Ianto something to do - maybe even Tosh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote:
    Excellent.

(Yeah, I know... [enter name of random American sci-fi show] has done it before/does it better.

Er, Charles Dickens. Remember the reference to The Signalman in The Unquiet Dead.

I agree with you on the "Excellent", though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know which tosser voted "Very poor". Making a point, dear?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote:

There was also the odd Strictly Come Dancing mention. They said they'd been watching the final and that newsreader won. The only news reader to win it was Kaplinsky in 2004. Now this means one of two things - 1. The series is set in 2004 and that is a subtly clue or 2. The writer doesn't know her SCD very well!

It's set in 2007 so no one knows who will win it that year (yet).

Plus it's NOT our Universe. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought it was brilliant. They've changed Jack's character a bit. He is not the flirt that he was in DW but he is still looking sexy esp. in that teaching gwen to shoot bit. I too wish they would focus on Jack a bit more. It is after all supposed to be his show like DW is the Doctors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schnorbitz wrote:
    Er, Charles Dickens. Remember the reference to The Signalman in The Unquiet Dead.
    I'm afraid I don't. I might if I hadn't had a bottle of South Australian red before and during tonight's episode...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the best show on TV, but perfect sunday night viewing.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good....... Finally the show is finding it's feet. I found it gripping. As everyone has pointed out, it was very human which is important as if it turned into something that was pure sci-fi dross then I would have immediately turned the channel.

I think they are pouring little hints of Jacks past and I'm getting the feeling that they are under-using him because they are trying to get us curious about him and why he does what he does.

Next weeks involves Cyber stuff......... Fantastic! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    am loving the series so far. Its not everyones cup of cha tho but i still like it.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote:
    with everyone else (including Jack) as just peripheral characters.
    That's definitely a good thing in my book :)
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote:

it's not?.........
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote:
    It's set in 2007 so no one knows who will win it that year (yet).

Lol! True! Maybe the writer's just psychic instead. If there's a news reader in SCD next year every one place your bets. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's not?.........
    Was there a spaceship over London on Christmas Day in our universe? Or a cybermen vs. Dalek battle at Canary Wharf?
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neolxs2000 wrote:
    does anyone find the welsh accent annoying?
    Okay you don't like it.....fair enough. Jez..... why can't you say it all in one thread instead of making threads of one sentence and leaking them out?

Anyways, I wonder why this episode wasn't the second episode of the series. I would have scrapped the "sex beast" episode of last week and put this one on instead. Although I guess we would have had a problem with continuity then.

I also like the fact that this episode wasn't trying to be "adult" like last weeks...... With all the swearing etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not?.........

Nope :D

Unless the UK Space Program is really going to have a Space Craft ready to fly to Mars by Christmas?
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote:
    Seems to becoming more and more the Gwen and Owen show with everyone else (including Jack) as just peripheral characters.
    Totally agree with you

The only characters names I can remember are Capt Jack(for obvious reasons) Gwen and Owen because he had more than a few lines to say tonight
    Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote:
    Was there a spaceship over London on Christmas Day in our universe? Or a cybermen vs. Dalek battle at Canary Wharf?
    yes......... christmas invasion last year and torchwood was based in canary wharf in the last 2 eps od dr who!.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    yes......... christmas invasion last year and torchwood was based in canary wharf in the last 2 eps od dr who!.
    Yes, I would agree that that was all in OUR UNIVERSE as well - well according to Doctor Who anyway.
  • tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixstar wrote:
    I thought it was really, really good...loved the plot and the cast did a very good job...next week **********: :D

Oh great .... didn't you ever hear of or use spoiler tags :mad:

I specifically turn over before " next week ...... because I think the trailers show way too much
    Forum Member
    p.s just incase. in the christmas ep blah blah... the dr is ill etc and the spaceship is making everyone go crazy like zombies and going up onto the roofs ready to jump. and jack said a cyberman in every home blah blah and that happened in dr who last 2 eps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed that more than the first two and a lot of Doctor Who tbh. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neolxs2000 wrote:
    does anyone find the welsh accent annoying?
    Are you always so rude, or is it just about the Welsh? are you equally annoyed by Irish, Scottish, Estuary English, Cornish or Yorkshire accents? Funnily enough no accents annoy me (I must be a saint!) and if something is set somewhere specific i.e "Life on Mars" Manchester or Eastenders London I would find it strange if they spoke RP all the time