Options

What's a reasonable price to pay for a new operating system?

13»

Comments

• Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    What shocks me is the price still being charged for Vista OS and laptops running Vista OS on ebay
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I felt l had to upgrade my laptop's XP operating system with the end of support and l went with a Linux operating system. These are for the most part free although voluntary donations are invited.

I ended up donating £30 which seemed quite reasonable to me but l was surprised by the prices being charged for new Microsoft operating systems especially for the residual supplies of legitimate Windows 7 disks. Any comments/experiences on this matter would be welcome below.

Hi TVU, if you're still reading this thread, which Linux did you choose in the end? You must have been happy with it as you decided to donate.

I think I've donated more money to Linux projects over the years than I ever spent on Windows products! In fact I'm sure of it. :D But it's an easy decision if it works well (which in my case Linux Mint works extremely well), helps keep the project free for all, and drives development. Linux Mint seems to have had an absolute explosion of donations in recent times. The main developer comments on it all the time on his blog.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    £70-80 I would think.

It's the main software on your computer so I don't mind paying a bit for it.

That is indeed very reasonable. I've seen operating systems on sale for £170-£180 and, as well as being on the high side, l feel that prices that high could encourage piracy (which l don't condone because an operating system requires time, effort and money to develop and that ought to be repaid).
    zx50 wrote: »
    Well, it's not fine with security because the security is virtually gone. They basically have to walk on egg shells when online because of their OS not being able to be patched.

I'd go along with this. Whilst there are steps that can be taken to minimise security risks, the ideal thing to do would be to replace XP on the PC/laptop.
    noise747 wrote: »
    If they got a computer repair workshop, why have they got machine that are full of viruses? It would not really fill me with confidence to get my computer fixed there

As I said, linux is ideal for a internet cafe and something like Mint is pretty much like Windows in use.

That is a logical solution. My local library service still uses XP units to access the internet and l'll try and remember to suggest this to them next time l visit.
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Hi TVU, if you're still reading this thread, which Linux did you choose in the end? You must have been happy with it as you decided to donate.

I think I've donated more money to Linux projects over the years than I ever spent on Windows products! In fact I'm sure of it. :D But it's an easy decision if it works well (which in my case Linux Mint works extremely well), helps keep the project free for all, and drives development. Linux Mint seems to have had an absolute explosion of donations in recent times. The main developer comments on it all the time on his blog.

I tried a number of Linux distributions on the laptop to replace XP and I settled for LXLE in the end (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zomqqk1tM). It's lighter on system resources than XP was because these days the fan hardly ever goes to high speed and the broadband works consistently and perfectly now. I also like the automatic wallpaper changer although it's a trivial thing. I thought the developer ought to be recompensed for putting this OS together and to encourage future development.

My PC has a Windows OS that's still supported and I've been trying out Linux variants like Zorin, Kubuntu, etc. and l want to test more with a long term view to having a dual boot system or to replace Windows entirely. Whichever Linux OS that eventually gets installed will get a donation too.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    While XP itself will be completely obsolete by 2015, surely the actual software and browsers you install will still keep updating?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While XP itself will be completely obsolete by 2015, surely the actual software and browsers you install will still keep updating?

The update might not install because of it not being compatible with XP. I'm guessing on that.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Not always - browsers and software are moving away from having Windows XP versions as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I tried a number of Linux distributions on the laptop to replace XP and I settled for LXLE in the end (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zomqqk1tM). It's lighter on system resources than XP was because these days the fan hardly ever goes to high speed and the broadband works consistently and perfectly now. I also like the automatic wallpaper changer although it's a trivial thing. I thought the developer ought to be recompensed for putting this OS together and to encourage future development.

My PC has a Windows OS that's still supported and I've been trying out Linux variants like Zorin, Kubuntu, etc. and l want to test more with a long term view to having a dual boot system or to replace Windows entirely. Whichever Linux OS that eventually gets installed will get a donation too.

LXLE looks very good for older systems. My mum has my old desktop which has a pretty low spec. I think I'll give it a go and see how it works out for them. :)

But yes I agree about donating, and I do try to donate whenever I can. For me it's just putting my money where my mouth is. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    LXLE looks very good for older systems. My mum has my old desktop which has a pretty low spec. I think I'll give it a go and see how it works out for them. :)

But yes I agree about donating, and I do try to donate whenever I can. For me it's just putting my money where my mouth is. ;)

Yep, Kal_El, and it's a great thing to do. Ideally, I'd want be in a position to contribute to projects that supply refurbished computers (refitted with Linux) and printers to poorer adults and students in education and to support those Linux distributions that are particularly orientated towards education such as Uberstudent, Skolelinux and Edubuntu.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Not always - browsers and software are moving away from having Windows XP versions as well.

^ Yup. Mozilla and Google are offering a grace period of a year to their browsers, but after that they will (likely) stop being updated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ Yup. Mozilla and Google are offering a grace period of a year to their browsers, but after that they will (likely) stop being updated.

Google will continue to support Chrome until at least April 2015 and Firefox has no current plans to end support for XP.

Sources =
    http://googleenterprise.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/extending-chrome-support-for-xp-users.html
    http://www.neowin.net/news/mozilla-to-support-firefox-on-windows-xp-after-microsoft-ends-support-for-the-os
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £80-£100 the latter if they allow you to install it on as many of your own home systems as you like, think of it as 1 license per household & not 1 license per computer it is installed on. Unless of course it is in the design of that piece of sh!t aka Windows 8, which I wouldn't even download illegally. I like an OS on my computer, not bloody Tetris. :p
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £45 is the most I've paid, for a retail copy of Windows 7 when it first came out.
    I paid £25 for Windows 8 Pro Update.

As computer hardware is much cheaper now, and you can buy a reasonable basic system without OS for under £200, then you certainly wouldn't want to pay more than £50 extra for the OS.

A different story I suppose if you were setting up a £1000 gaming system?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £80-£100 the latter if they allow you to install it on as many of your own home systems as you like, think of it as 1 license per household & not 1 license per computer it is installed on. Unless of course it is in the design of that piece of sh!t aka Windows 8, which I wouldn't even download illegally. I like an OS on my computer, not bloody Tetris. :p

Windows 8 is not that bad, you can get rid of what you call the tetris part.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Windows 8 is not that bad, you can get rid of what you call the tetris part.

Yes I know you can get rid of that part, but wasn't sure if they had implemented the Start menu / task bar back again, instead of that awful drag type menu to shutdown / restart etc.
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With various highly capable Linux distributions, Ubuntu and Mint to name but 2, and all user software legally available totally free, there seems to be no case for paying for any software.

That much software still has a price tag only serves to emphasise that ALL software costs to produce. That many Linux software developers chose to do this 'pro bono' does not mean that it is cost free. There are many hardware and distribution costs that cannot be avoided. Someone has to pay.

Included with hardware, initial one-off payment, subscription all the different methods of paying just show that no-one trully has an industry wide answer.

Remember that ANYTHING is only worth what someone will pay for it on that day.

For the record I user Windows 7, paid for, and Ubuntu, free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan F wrote: »
    With various highly capable Linux distributions, Ubuntu and Mint to name but 2, and all user software legally available totally free, there seems to be no case for paying for any software.

That much software still has a price tag only serves to emphasise that ALL software costs to produce. That many Linux software developers chose to do this 'pro bono' does not mean that it is cost free. There are many hardware and distribution costs that cannot be avoided. Someone has to pay.

Included with hardware, initial one-off payment, subscription all the different methods of paying just show that no-one trully has an industry wide answer.

Remember that ANYTHING is only worth what someone will pay for it on that day.

For the record I user Windows 7, paid for, and Ubuntu, free.

Many softwares are written solely for Windows. It still makes sense as it has the widest user base and fuels the argument for continuing to use Windows. Plus, it has the highest likelihood of generating revenue as it's users are already operating within a pay to use environment.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read this thread with interest. My netbook runs Windows XP and I use it failry regularly. It's not my main computer.

Having read this http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1304965/when-windows-xp-support-ends-this-is-how-you-secure-your-pc-and-save-all-updates I'm comfortable still using it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I've read this thread with interest. My netbook runs Windows XP and I use it failry regularly. It's not my main computer.

Having read this http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1304965/when-windows-xp-support-ends-this-is-how-you-secure-your-pc-and-save-all-updates I'm comfortable still using it.

If you have digested all of that, maybe you can mail me a copy of the slipstreamed XP install disc. I can't be bothered doing that. I stopped when RyanVM stopped updating his updater. Not that I'm likely to use it in anger. Just as a curio in 20 years ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Many softwares are written solely for Windows. It still makes sense as it has the widest user base and fuels the argument for continuing to use Windows. Plus, it has the highest likelihood of generating revenue as it's users are already operating within a pay to use environment.

Whilst it would be foolish to deny that much software is available in Windows format only I would contend that there is little that the HOME USER would wish to do for which a free Linux solution is not readily available.

Maybe you would care to list the common tasks, with their Windows only solutions, that requires the User to purchase Windows?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not free, it's included in the purchase price of a new Mac, same as Windows is normally included in the price of a new PC.

Try ringing Apple and ask them to send you a free copy of OSX if you haven't bought any of their hardware and don't have a license.

The current version of OS X is free when you buy the computer.

The current version of Windows is free when you buy the computer.

Future upgrades of OS X are also currently free when upgrades are released.

Future upgrades of Windows are not free when upgrades are released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

Perhaps the software and the hardware is free! Maybe it is the box that you are paying for.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Windows 8 to 8.1 was free :confused:
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OSX is included in the purchase price of the hardware, its not free but I wonder what would happen if you declined the licensing agreement and tried to get the license fee back like you can do on windows

and as to windows being free it aint and never has been, you can buy OS free computers but the big boys like dell get bulk buy discounts so the license fee is pretty small
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But thats the problem with OSX, new versions a released quicker than new windows versions, as a rule new versions of windows will run on older hardwaer.
    New versions of OSX wont run on older hardware?
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member

In most cases true. The pedantic would argue that the cost of the OS is factored into the cost of buying the computer.
    This was a recent decision though, and was originally initiated on the grounds that there weren't enough significant changes to justify charging users.

Now that the App store and Apples other online services are available on the desktop it makes business sense to hold off cutting them off. Its still worth bearing in mind though that the updates will only install on what Apple deem to be compatible systems. Macs over x amount of years are blocked from installing the update.
    Its the same as Mac OS always used to be. Free updates to the major version only.

Part of me thinks MS may eventually be tempted to take a similar route and try to recoup their losses from the Windows store, Online storage and Office 365 integration etc. However, given its current state they would probably need to roll some of these features out to Windows 7 users just to get momentum going which they understandably wont want to do.