What channels do you want on Freeview in 2013?

13»

Comments

• scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to get rid of +1 and make sure everyone has a PVR instead.
    TCM - would be nice
    Film 4 - to update its movies every couple of months
    I'd like an Animation channel, where at 9pm they would show adult swim cartoons, anime, and weird stuff people used to make for Ch4.
    A proper music channel where it was not just rhianna and beyonce and kanye etc tec.. mind numbing music
    A classic tv channel but not one that just pumps out vicar of dibley and only fools and horses..i.e. Gold, but covers a lot of different countries classic shows
    there is probably a lot more but I cant think

oh less shopping and adult channels maybe...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the idea of TCM, there is a very good cross section of programmes there now not just older films. They had band of bothers and Rome a little while ago.

I also like the idea of an Animation channel that covers both kids and grown ups, there is alot of stuff out there to appeal to both groups.

As I am a big kid I would like to see a timeshare service between Cartoon Network, Boomerang and Nickleodeon eaching running for say four hours then somthing like the Syfy channel for a four or five hours at night.

The shopping channels and adult content are there of course because they fill up space when other channels are off air and it allows the other service to make some extra money and that is a big factor as it is so costly to get on air with freeview.

Of course Dave ja vu going 24/7 as of tomorrow, I think, there is interest over what will go on a full time replacement to this service as UK TV are planning to bring another service to freeview but they have not so far confirmed which one
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it would cut costs in the long term and make the whole network simpler.

No, the network would be more complicated. Rather than running from a few high powered transmitter sites, SFNs would require many medium powered sites. Running more sites inevitably costs more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    i wond like dinsey channel and sky sports and it wond be good if you could watch god tv with out having to have internet connected and capital tv and heart tv and magic tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Cymon H wrote: »
    Your not a lover of 5 USA then ! Blimey if you are ditching channels these would not be top of my list.I would like to see another full-time Movie channel myself.

I assumed that 5 USA would be our equivalent of BBC America. We would receive American shows not normally seen in the UK.
    Every time I look at the EPG I usually see several versions of CSI one after another.
    Perhaps the other channels i want to drop could be merged into one that only advertises fake tan, tatoo artists and long-sighted plastic surgeons! :D
  • baggers02baggers02 Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Less pointless shopping channels like Argos etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    At least one of the CBS channels would be nice to have, albeit unlikely to happen. My preferences would be Drama and/or Action
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    the channels i wond like the see on freeview is magit tv and capital ff tv and heart tv and disney chennel and sky sports and more music channels and it wond be good if you could have god tv with out having to have internet connected to the freeview box and bbc iplayer.
  • MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a proper music channel? Perhaps Heart/Capital going national? Viva and 4music are waste of space. Fresh Prince and the Karadashian **** is NOT music. Also it saves the same old diet of Rita Oral etc.

Also why not get True Movies....battle out some film competition. Sex and shopping channels is not the way forward, recession or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could do with another film channel and I must admit Viva does spin the same old thing around and around. As the company who owns it also owns comedy central you would think that they would put something new on other than fresh prince, daria etc.

Men 4 Movies on freesat seems to have a fairly varied daytime content that with a tweak or two could do rather well, say a nice family friendly comedy or two or a good old weepy.

But sadly the sex and shopping stuff makes money so they do tend to take up space.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I would like to see ITV3, ITV4, for a start plus the other 100 channels that my local transmitter will not provide me with. I get 38 channels but when you strip away the radio and +1, HD duplicates I have 11 channels. Absolute disgrace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume Jeff62 you are one of the people with freeview lite?

Not really a fair situation I think personnally, have you considered Freesat?

I haven't myself as we have certain issues with getting a dish set up etc. some people who are in a similar situation to yourself seem to think it's alright plus I believe it now has a catch up service via the internet if you hook your freesat box to your internet link ( not too sure of the details I got lost after they dumped VCR's for DVD players.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/industry/channel_providers/post_switchover

I simply hide the channels I don't want on my EPG ( I am able to see all 5 SD Muxes) and am pretty content with the choices I have left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see C5 launch in HD.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I assume Jeff62 you are one of the people with freeview lite?

Not really a fair situation I think personnally, have you considered Freesat?

I haven't myself as we have certain issues with getting a dish set up etc. some people who are in a similar situation to yourself seem to think it's alright plus I believe it now has a catch up service via the internet if you hook your freesat box to your internet link ( not too sure of the details I got lost after they dumped VCR's for DVD players.)

When the switchover came in my area last may I had no idea there was a freeview lite. So I was shocked when a friend about two miles away told me they had about 100 channels and mine showed 38. I do have Sky so its not really a big issue but it is good to have as a back up in case the box goes wrong or when the signal gets blocked. its a funny set up. I have ITV2 but not itv3 or 4 and all 4 channels except film four.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    There should be a thread called - what channels do you want off freeview in 2013?

Maybe I'll go and start the thread then :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    dachse wrote: »
    Well I know it will be a controversial suggestion but I'd like to see BBC1+1 and BBC2+1. We would then have +1 versions of all the main 5 channels which I would find quite useful.

I agree with you. So often there is a programme on BBC1 and the same time a programme on BBC2 at the same time and I end up missing one or trying to remember to watch it on BBC iPlayer. I juggle channel 3 4 an 5 using the +1 channel and find it really useful.

Next to that I would like either TCM or another news channel, featuring either american or european news.
    Forum Member
    I see Sky sports 1 and 2 have gone from the channel listing, after my latest retune. G.O.L.D. is still there but I have yet to find any programme being transmitted. There is just text telling us about Top Up TV, this is the rightful place for pay TV programmes. Home channel has the same details for Top Up TV. Are they real TV channels or just conduits to Pay TV. If the latter they should not be in the same area of the channel list as the proper TV channels. By proper TV channels, I mean the ones that show programmes as soon as you select and press a button

Now, what are connect and vision TV channels - they are not proper channels, you can not press the channel number and start to view it.

All Pay TV or Internet TV channels should be near the end of the channel listing before the Adult channels and should not be confusing old ones like me by appearing with the regular TV channels.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Box, and magic/heat...
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Sky sports 1 and 2 have gone from the channel listing, after my latest retune. G.O.L.D. is still there but I have yet to find any programme being transmitted. There is just text telling us about Top Up TV, this is the rightful place for pay TV programmes. Home channel has the same details for Top Up TV. Are they real TV channels or just conduits to Pay TV. If the latter they should not be in the same area of the channel list as the proper TV channels. By proper TV channels, I mean the ones that show programmes as soon as you select and press a button

Now, what are connect and vision TV channels - they are not proper channels, you can not press the channel number and start to view it.

Connect, Vision and Box (the Arts Council Channel) are all portals to IPTV channels. These can only currently be connected to by using Freeview HD boxes which comply with the MHEG-IC standard (boxes approved by the Digital Television Group following testing for compliance with the latest D-book standard after April 2011 should be compatible.)

Note: YouView boxes do not comply with this standard but one of its shareholders, Arqiva, has purchased Connect so it is expected that they will change the protocol used or add one that YouView units can be used to access the various Connect channels.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick TV +1 would be great
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Pick TV +1 would be great

It was on Freeview for a short while then it got replaced by Channel 5+

It was on Freeview Channel Number 44
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »
    Connect, Vision and Box (the Arts Council Channel) are all portals to IPTV channels. These can only currently be connected to by using Freeview HD boxes which comply with the MHEG-IC standard (boxes approved by the Digital Television Group following testing for compliance with the latest D-book standard after April 2011 should be compatible.)

Note: YouView boxes do not comply with this standard but one of its shareholders, Arqiva, has purchased Connect so it is expected that they will change the protocol used or add one that YouView units can be used to access the various Connect channels.

Thanks. Is the P in IPTV for Portal or Protocol.

The reason I like +1 channels is because I do not have any box connected to my 2 TV's and can't record any content. Prior to digital switchover I had three video recorders with about 50 tapes I recorded all programmes I wished to see at a later time. I was obsessed about missing any favourite TV programme and some films. At digital changeover, I took my three videos to my local recycling centre and a great weight was lifted from my shoulders. I now only watch the TV that is on when I'm there, either real time or + 1 hour. I occasionally watch a missed programme on iPlayer, 4oD or 5oD. But the ones I miss are quite often repeated at a later date. Even though I watch some soaps, I don't watch the omnibus as I find I can follow the programme quite well from the TV guide.

Oh! the relief of not recording programmes. Obsession ended.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new UKtv channel is to be Drama (coming in July). There is room already for a fifth HD channel, but no takers as yet. I have heard rumours that the BBC will use it to transmit a 3D version of the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary - which would, in turn, suggest no regular fifth HD service this year as that programme is due to go out in November. Given the choice, I would like to see Film Four HD fill that slot - preferably by Christmas.

There are also rumours of further multiplexes coming on stream now that analogue has gone, making room for many more HD services. Whether any broadcasters have the wherewithal to fill them, however, is another question - unless the hosts try to kickstart the process by offering them free for a while, but I will believe that when it happens.