Non slip pads for wood floors?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
Forum Member
Can anyone provide me a link for something suitable?

I have a wood frame bed, which is on a wood floor. I'd like some pads (non slip obviously) to put under the legs of the bed frame to stop it moving about so easily.

Had a google and could only seem to find US sites.

Something along these lines:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6387

Also had a look on B&Q, Focus etc and can't seem to find anything suitable.

Plenty of the round cup type ones but the legs of the bed are square and I'm not convinced any of the round ones would be big enough. Pads would be much better.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just get a rubber mat and cut it up to what ever size/shape you want.

http://www.keyonline.co.uk/medium-rib-matting_347492002010265566.html
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can by felt pads to stop the furniture marking the floor and it will stop the bed moving to some degree, but probably not enough. You can get these pretty much anywhere, but here's a pic just so you know what they are.

I have found some of the 'castor cups' at Amazon and here, but unfortunately they are round again. I'm sure they sell them at Focus, B&Q and places like that, but they are too small a product to include on their website I'd have thought. In fact, I'd have thought Ikea would be an ideal place to get those if you're near one. But it does look like you'll have to make do with round ones which are big enough.

What would be ideal would be the rubber mesh matting you put under rugs, which you could cut to size and just place underneath the legs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Rugby Rose wrote: »

Perfect. Just ordered up 4 of them .... with 5% quidco cashback as well.

Many thanks.

:)
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent, glad to be of service. :D
    Forum Member
    Quick update.

Just in case anyone else ever happens to stumble upon this thread when searching for a similar product. (Surprisingly tricky to find!)

DO NOT ORDER THEM (or anything else if my experience of them is anything to go by) FROM DIYTOOLS.CO.UK

I ordered mine at the time I posted above.

A week later ..... nothing.

Send them an e-mail asking where they are.

Couple of days later, get a reply saying they can't send the order as they have no stock. Hang on I think? It said in stock when I ordered? Check their website again .... STILL showing as in stock even when they're telling me directly they have none?!?!?!

WTF?

I put this to them.

Their reply?

The website is not live-linked to their stock computers and the person who updates it manually is 'on holiday'. Yeah right. Someone sits and constantly updates a website like that with stock levels manually? Somehow, I doubt it.

Paid through PayPal so dispute raised and refund received. I'll have to find them elsewhere now .... bloody cowboys. :mad:
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Quick update.

Just in case anyone else ever happens to stumble upon this thread when searching for a similar product. (Surprisingly tricky to find!)

DO NOT ORDER THEM (or anything else if my experience of them is anything to go by) FROM DIYTOOLS.CO.UK

I ordered mine at the time I posted above.

A week later ..... nothing.

Send them an e-mail asking where they are.

Couple of days later, get a reply saying they can't send the order as they have no stock. Hang on I think? It said in stock when I ordered? Check their website again .... STILL showing as in stock even when they're telling me directly they have none?!?!?!

WTF?

I put this to them.

Their reply?

The website is not live-linked to their stock computers and the person who updates it manually is 'on holiday'. Yeah right. Someone sits and constantly updates a website like that with stock levels manually? Somehow, I doubt it.

Paid through PayPal so dispute raised and refund received. I'll have to find them elsewhere now .... bloody cowboys. :mad:

As suggested earler, get a rubber mat, cut out the sizes to fit the bottoms of the legs and glue them on with a suitably tough glue (Araldite Rapid is a good glue).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    The best thing you can do is to find a supplier who build boats. There is a rubberlike material which they use on floors and tops on boats which stop things sliding when at sea. I can't remember the name at the moment but take a look at boat materials. If i find out more i will come back to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    my bed as square legs yet it fits in the round castor cups the best thing is to make sure when you buy them you can return them if they aren't suitable.

i had my bed for a week before I got the castors and that wasn't good with it moving about all the time when I got in it
    Forum Member
    The felt ones are no good. They'll protect the floor but not stop sliding. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I could use a cut up rubber mat. It's currently sitting on bits of a chopped up rubber back doormat and it works OK-ish.

I'm just fussy so I'd prefer the square rubber cups. :o

I've yet to find any round ones that would be big enough to hold the legs. Found some that were felt bottomed but all the rubber bottomed ones have been too small .....

I did find those one on DIYTOOLS on some other sites. Will probably order some up at the weekend.
    Forum Member
    Final update ...

I got them from these guys:

http://www.chulmleigh-hardware.co.uk/

(If nothing else, they have a totally cool name!)

And would recommend them. (I actually ended up with twice as many as DIY tools would have sold me for about the same price as well. The list them as coming in 6's ... which was the number I needed .... but I got 6 packs of 2 so 12 cups total.)

Still, the brother in law will be able to use them as he has a lot of wood flooring in his new place.

In the meantime, I'd checked at Argos, Homebase and B&Q (a big warehouse one as well ... not one of their smaller stores) and none of them stocked them or anything similar/suitable.

Which is really wierd. The amount of people with wood/laminate floors, it's amazing that no-one seems to sell square castor cups/furniture rests of any description. I'm sure I can't be the only person in the world with a wood frame bed (with square legs) sitting on a wood floor!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    In case anyone else stumbles on this thread like I did... it seems quite hard to get specific anti-slip pads for furniture legs but an easy alternative seems to be to buy rubber/plastic drawer liners (e.g. Ikea) and just cut a piece to the desired shape and glue it to the chair. The good thing is if you buy a clear one, there is no chance of leaving an permanent marking on the floor (which could happen with black or coloured rubber)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10109491
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Cutting some butyl rubber pond liner to fit and just glue to the existing leg? That should also stop it slipping.

Andy
  • KarmaChameleonKarmaChameleon Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Final update ...

I got them from these guys:

http://www.chulmleigh-hardware.co.uk/

(If nothing else, they have a totally cool name!)

And would recommend them. (I actually ended up with twice as many as DIY tools would have sold me for about the same price as well. The list them as coming in 6's ... which was the number I needed .... but I got 6 packs of 2 so 12 cups total.)

Still, the brother in law will be able to use them as he has a lot of wood flooring in his new place.

In the meantime, I'd checked at Argos, Homebase and B&Q (a big warehouse one as well ... not one of their smaller stores) and none of them stocked them or anything similar/suitable.

Which is really wierd. The amount of people with wood/laminate floors, it's amazing that no-one seems to sell square castor cups/furniture rests of any description. I'm sure I can't be the only person in the world with a wood frame bed (with square legs) sitting on a wood floor!

I do but I've never had a problem with slipping...