IMO it will be sensationalist bull, but lets see.:D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Anyone watching this?

IMO it will be sensationalist bull, but lets see.:D

I agree, it'll be another high calibre programme like the one about the bookies.:rolleyes:

I can see it now "Sugar is £1 from poundland and only 89p in the supermarket!" :yawn:
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watching now.

I don't normally shop at Poundland but it will be interesting to see if their deals really are deals.

Looks like the sizes are going to be smaller at Poundland compared to other shops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This from Asda is "currently on offer"... Keyword being offer really...

The breads on offer, the Dettol is on offer...
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Treble wrote: »

ep, poundland always sell the same price, supermarkets have it cheaper for a day or two, then charge twice the price.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the conclusion of the show is "people are stupid"

There you go, the programme can end now, sorry if I gave the ending away

Thought it was widely known that most of the stuff in Poundland was specially made slightly smaller sizes to enable them to fit into the £1 price tag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ep, poundland always sell the same price, supermarkets have it cheaper for a day or two, then charge twice the price.

Agreed, although to be fair that won't always be the case.

But this show is really digging for anything.

EDIT: Gotta say, they commented on the appearance of PoundLand, their secrets of Poundland shop isnt very attractive...

Are they even allowed to use the brand on their shop sign? Isnt that misleading?
    Forum Member
    How can it be misleading if it is on the label clearly?
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly who cares, I go in pound land ..things are a pound...I make the choice wether to buy or not to buy, the choice is the consumers, no one forces me into pound land or forces me to buy their products, what a stupid program.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well whatever he says, pepsi and loads of other fizzy drinks are tons cheaper in Poundland than in Tesco.
    Forum Member
    i have seen...
    cadburys
    nestle
    Nescafe
    Quakers

All say extra free, these products aint made by poundland.

surely if this is an issue, then it is a manufacturing issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

So, if you have any sense, you get it from the supermarkets when they have it on offer at a cheaper price.

I'm assuming you have a kitchen with cupboards, a fridge and freezer to keep stuff in-- most people don't need to buy stuff to use the same day.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The breads on offer, the Dettol is on offer...
    Exactly. And what that so-called consumer law 'expert' said was just pants as well.
    googleking wrote: »

Thought it was widely known that most of the stuff in Poundland was specially made slightly smaller sizes to enable them to fit into the £1 price tag.
    Exactly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ninz39 wrote: »
    Honestly who cares, I go in pound land ..things are a pound...I make the choice wether to buy or not to buy, the choice is the consumers, no one forces me into pound land or forces me to buy their products, what a stupid program.

BIB. Good Point. When we go into a £1 shop, we know how much things are, if we buy things on impulse - then so be it. We do that in supermarkets and they spend a fortune on marketing for that very reason too...
  • JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a Poundland is usually bang in the middle of a town centre, whereas the large Supermarkets are usually not! (Of course there are the express ones but they tend to charge more anyway!)

So I could buy 180g of Nutella from Poundland or spend x amount in petrol then driving to a Supermarket, having to park, navigate the Supermarket, queue.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can it be misleading if it is on the label clearly?

Because whilst you and I might read the actual weight, many people don't and a jar of something is just a jar of something.

But I always shop around and if Asda have something on their high rotational price (Yes I know what you do bloody Asda!) then I leave it until it has dropped back to it's lowest rotational value.

Nescafe Gold Blend Asda Rotational prices: £5.00 - £5.50 - £6.48! and round and round it goes! Mind you they have just brought out a refill pack for £6.00 but it contains a jar and a half an so works out at £4.00 a jar BUY! BUY! BUY!
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »

I didn't know, but I'm more amazed that the big brand names are willing to supply just Poundland with completely different packaging, (sizes and 'extra free' etc). :eek:
    Forum Member
    BIB. Good Point. When we go into a £1 shop, we know how much things are, if we buy things on impulse - then so be it. We do that in supermarkets and they spend a fortune on marketing for that very reason too...

Thing is, in britain we hate a winner, we far prefer the underdog.

Businesses are on their arse, theres mass unemployment, but one store is bucking the trend, and continuing to grow.

The media need a way to make a negative story out of that, get a bit of scandal out of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nutella Chocolate Spread - 200G - TESCO £1.29

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259802530
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has been desperate stuff so far. Read the labels folks........:sleep:
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, who has the time? I only drink diet Pepsi and at the moment it's 2 for £3 in Asda, £1 a bottle in Sainsbury's and Poundland and 89p a bottle at Tesco.

I only found this out because I went into Tesco that I don't usually go into. If all the supermarkets are doing this on everything, which they are, who has the time to price check on everything and buy the cheapest from each one? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like religion: If people go to poundland and THINK that they have got a bargain and are made happy by that, what's the problem?

Real poor people like me HAVE TO shop around so that I know I'm really buying something at its cheapest.
    Forum Member
    Ah, so it is the same price them, you fool:D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those inflation busting prices are definitely a con.
    Forum Member
    The expert is an idiot as well, not a clue what she is talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Adsa and Iceland have also reduce packet contents and kept the same price, so they are all up to it!

We are not stupid and I have seen both do exactly that. If you buy basically the same every month it is easy to spot when your regular item changes.