Buffy The Vampire Slayer - A General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen season 5 for ages now as it's the only one I don't have on dvd.

I remember fancying Ben...:o

... and I was gripped when Willow went all witchcraft with the best ever incantation:

"Kali, Hera, Cronus, Tonic;
    Air like nectar thick as onyx.
    Cassiel by your second star ...
    Hold mine victim as in tar"

"I owe you paaaain!" <Zaaaaap!>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah man yeah i love the twists and turns across Season 5... nice reflecting....and yeah agreed its so funny that Buffy ALWAYS makes you want more more more episodes and stuff to see, another reason why i love it so :) its the best! and yeah its surprising when ya watch Angel how much you can remember also...absurd!

And yeah i love that in The Weight Of The World the whole Ben IS glory connection is hilarious....Steven Moffat has said many times he owes a lot to Buffy for his creations storylines...probs why i LOVE it so much right now :) But its brilliant :D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching Lie to me the other day and It never dawned on me that actually the Angelus storyline was hinted very early on. There is a scene when Angel talks to Drusilla in the park and of course when Drusilla was in her mental state, she could see the future. She says to Angel something along the lines of "if only she knew what was to come", regarding him and buffy's relationship. I can't believe I never caught on to that line before in all times i have re watched Buffy.

Just me then
  • bbfiveneverbbfivenever Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just me then

Funny you should say that, it reminds me that in "This year's girl" Within the dream/coma sequence with Buffy and Faith together in a bedroom, Faith says something along the lines of "are you preparing for little sis"

Which was a (it seems) very early nod towards Dawn's arrival...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny you should say that, it reminds me that in "This year's girl" Within the dream/coma sequence with Buffy and Faith together in a bedroom, Faith says something along the lines of "are you preparing for little sis"

Which was a (it seems) very early nod towards Dawn's arrival...

Not just Dawn's arrival, but also Buffy's death.

"Miles to go, little Miss Muffet, counting down from 7-3-0"

730 was the exact number of days (two years) before Buffy’s death.

Also, during "Who Are You" Faith, in Buffy's body, is reads out a credit card number, the expiration is 5/01...The Gift originally aired in May 2001.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »

Also, during "Who Are You" Faith, in Buffy's body, is reads out a credit card number, the expiration is 5/01...The Gift originally aired in May 2001.

good stuff.

Pretty Forward thinking that Joss Whedon... (shame he couldn't see FireFly's cancellation. :p )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »

Yeah and in Restless when tara is talking to Buffy at the beginning of her dream sequence and the clock says 7:30 (7-3-0...a year on and a year to go before her death) Tara says "the clocks all wrong" meaning the time is wrong there isnt 730 days but another year to go...halfway there....so very haunting!

I do love that when ya rewatch however that idea of foreshadowing across the show...brilliant.
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I'm watching the final series again on Syfy at the moment, and it's bloody good.

I seem to recall it wasn't my favourite series at the time, far too grim, lots of fallings out and the like, but it's actually quite funny.

I'm also watching s7 again on SyFy to see whether my feelings about it have changed - and they haven't! I still don't like it. The potentials annoy the hell out of me, particularly Kennedy (I could quite happily punch her until her face is mush) and pairing her with Willow was a baaaad move.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    I'm also watching s7 again on SyFy to see whether my feelings about it have changed - and they haven't! I still don't like it. The potentials annoy the hell out of me, particularly Kennedy (I could quite happily punch her until her face is mush) and pairing her with Willow was a baaaad move.
    There are certainly some issues (I never liked Kennedy either) but so far so good.

I am however aware that two of my biggest problems with the series haven't turned up yet, so I may go off it again. :p

The first being Buffy kicked out and estranged from the gang which I seem to recall were a couple of really depressing episodes and of course the death of Anya who came from nowhere to take the number two spot in my "Girls of Buffy" list (behind Willow obviously...Buffy was always last on the list).

My other surprise when watching was how long it took for Caleb to show up, my fog of general memory had him around for most of the series but his run was in fact rather short.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just me then
    To be fair there were an awful lot of problems to come with Buffy and Angel's relationship that she could have been referring to. :D
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »

My other surprise when watching was how long it took for Caleb to show up, my fog of general memory had him around for most of the series but his run was in fact rather short.

Whenever I have run through the series, it always surprises me how late in season 7 his first appear is too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got around to "the Body" in my complete rewatch... I've slowed down my watching a bit, as i knew it was coming :(

It is the best episode i hate to watch.

With all the demons and vamps and even humans who die in the show there is a sense of fantasy, but this ep is just all too real.
    Great performances from all but shout outs to Willow and Anya.
    Most moving parts (for me) were when Buffy told Dawn and Willow fretting about what to wear, also Anya's breakdown.

And the great sound editing where lots of ambient sound is cut and no music. Also oddly framed camera shots all add to a beautiful if too sad episode for BTVS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Body was all very very real which is why i love it so :) it has that real-ness in the show but when you get to The Body its all heightened and the Vampire in the final minutes of the episode really shwocased....the fantasy elements come secondary to the human nature of the show...powerful!
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    deano0501 wrote: »
    Why? What am I missing?

It's like the Emperor's new clothes. Nobody wants to be the first to admit they don't get it :D

Seems like some random blogger mentioned that Buffy is one of his favourite shows and someone else (or the same person?) quoted Buffy in his school yearbook.

I'm not sure it qualifies as amazing but I guess the yearbook thing is kinda cool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever I have run through the series, it always surprises me how late in season 7 his first appear is too.
    Yeah, me makes mention of having been responsible for blowing up the council and hunting potentials but he only in sight for a short time.

I guess it was enough for Reverend Tightpants to make a big impression. :p
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can everyone who is on Twitter please Tweet to @SyfyUK to demand they show Buffy The Vampire Slayer without the savage and inconsistent cuts they keep making to the show? Thank you!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Dennis C wrote: »
    Can everyone who is on Twitter please Tweet to @SyfyUK to demand they show Buffy The Vampire Slayer without the savage and inconsistent cuts they keep making to the show? Thank you!

I would but given that they often do repeats for it in the afternoons and the content in Buffy, I doubt they'll listen to be honest.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Demand?! Lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its easter! So time for some Bad Eggs methinks!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its easter! So time for some Bad Eggs methinks!

I watched that a few weeks ago and it's such a nice silly standalone episode, but silly in a good way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched that a few weeks ago and it's such a nice silly standalone episode, but silly in a good way.

Yeah, i love it when that monster thing eats the Western vamps brother...and he returns a year later in the epic Homecoming episode :D

yeah its a riot of an episode....Ted did the "middle of the road" format better...being in between two epic two parters Bad Eggs faced a challenge...but i lvoes it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At the weekend I finally got around to watching the final, final episode that was shown last week (I think). It was either the 7 am or 1 pm showing but whichever it was it had been hacked to pieces as usual to remove violent or sexual scenes.

I had noticed a few cuts in the previous epidoes, so The Preacher killing of a couple of slayers and blinding of Xander had all happened "off screen". But the cuts they made in the final rendered crucial scenes meaningless or confusing.

Firsly they removed the scene of Buffy being stabbed in the fight at the Hellmouth. One minute she was fighting and the next she's laying on the floor with no explanation. She just looked tired. The First turns up to taunt her, with matching bleeding cut, but we have no idea that Buffy had been injured in that way. She fights, she takes a breather, she gets back up and fights again. The fact that she had overcome a serious wound is completely lost.

Principal Wood's wound also happened off screen, Slayers (now with a capital S) died off screen.

Then their worse offence, Anya died off screen. I didn't notice at the time until they were leaving and Xanders looking for her. There's a brief glimpse of her lying in the rubble and I thought "hold on! that hasn't happened". I rewound and sure enough no actual death scene. The thing is that at the end Xander asks...what's his name, the other guy about it and he says she died a hero, saving his life. Now in the full showing we know this to be a lie and it shows that the very thing everyone always told him off about, telling stories, actually has a use in the end as it brings Xander some sense of comfort and closure. But with the cuts the viewer would have to assume that what he says is true, she did indeed die saving...thingy, Tucker's brother, he summoned flying monkeys at prom that time...
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember back when the BBC first showed Buffy it used to get cut to shreds.