Star Trek The Next Generation Blu Ray

Comments

• porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The improvement in stories is due to Roddenberry taking a back seat .
    TNG was one of the first shows to go for the sub standard film to tape process so perhaps after 2 years the technology had improved as that seemed about the time the rest of US tv jumped on the cost cutting bandwagon
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the new Blu-ray masters will completely revitalise the woeful picture quality of the first two seasons. Of course, nothing can save the other dodgy elements of those early shows.....
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first proper peak has been released, and it looks flippin fantastic to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7A9OisTODI
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks great
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watched Sins Of The Father a couple of weeks ago, and the short peice in that traler is almost unrecognisable! So much clarity, it's as if it were made yesterday!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently a 13 second scene from "Sins of the Father" has been lost so they are going to up-convert the SD master for that scene.

This might be the shape of things to come with the entire series, unless they just got very unlucky with their chosen selection of episodes to remaster.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Apparently a 13 second scene from "Sins of the Father" has been lost so they are going to up-convert the SD master for that scene.

This might be the shape of things to come with the entire series, unless they just got very unlucky with their chosen selection of episodes to remaster.

The scene in question has been identified as nothing important, just Crusher coming out a turbolift and asking Riker to report.
    Then the camera angle changes before he answers and all is ok again.
    I'm sure even the minority that notice the upscaling will live with it for such a minor scene as that!

I still think its a shame they're using the most advanced 2011 technology to make rubbish 80s special effects look slightly clearer, (look how much detail the ship loses as it jumps to warp for one..) but hey, what do I know! :(
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Looks great

It does!

As the Enterprise goes to warp, you can see the person walking across the observation lounge clearly for the first time. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    It does!

As the Enterprise goes to warp, you can see the person walking across the observation lounge clearly for the first time. :)

So you can, I'd always thought it looked like someone was there, now it's clear as day, even on a Youtube wimdow!

Good spot. :D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that it will be "identical" to the original show.

The buzz surrounding the Star Trek TOS remastering has faded for me and the CGI looks dated already. Like a cheap video game.

CGI dates quickly, probably because it moves on so quickly. Models start off looking hokey-pokey but after a while it becomes the asthetic for the show. And after all, who is using models anymore?
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I hope they do the whole series followed up with DS9!
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was surreal, so used to watching it in 'fuzzyvision'.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member

The buzz surrounding the Star Trek TOS remastering has faded for me and the CGI looks dated already. Like a cheap video game.

CGI dates quickly, probably because it moves on so quickly. Models start off looking hokey-pokey but after a while it becomes the asthetic for the show. And after all, who is using models anymore?

These models were filmed and created in 1987 (and then due to the budget of a television show, the shots were just repeated for 7 years with little variation) so its fair to say you get better CGI via some fan in his bedroom doing it in his spare time.

If they'd committed to a full remastering at least it'd get rid of the same boring stock shots you get 20 times an ep.

This remake will allow 1980s SFX to be seen clearer, whoop de do.
  • tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    Just gimme babylon 5 on BD.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still think its a shame they're using the most advanced 2011 technology to make rubbish 80s special effects look slightly clearer (
    They're not.
    They are redoing the effects from scratch so they should look brand new. Not much pointing in doing them otherwise

I suggest you watch the HD versions with the original effects for a true example of being dated.
    The CGI looks way better .The original ones were done so cheaply I can't see the CGI ones feeling as bad after 40 years
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping some new Enterprise flybys would be created but it seems like they're just gonna reuse the old ones, re-mastered of course. Those same flybys over and over again get so boring. I would love them to create new CGI ones for later seasons.

Fair enough, stick with the originals for the first 2 seasons releases but then use the money made from those sales to produce new CGI Enterprise-D flybys. A CGI Enterprise-D model already exists somewhere cause it was used in Voyager!
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A CGI Enterprise-D model already exists somewhere cause it was used in Voyager!

Plus Generations, DS9 and even Enterprise! They actually did some re-shot sequences of an episode of TNG in Enterprise's finale. The ENT episode itself was crap, but the CGI Enterprise-D (along with internal shots of asteriods floating past windows) looked fantastic and gave an idea of what they could do by replacing the old model shots with CGI.

Yes, the CGI Enterprise-D DOES look better than the old 80s model work. It looks A LOT better. It has more detail, it moves more realistically and is far more dynamic.

There would also be tons of other CGI ships from DS9. They had loads of Federation ships, along with Klingon and Romulan ones all used for the Dominion war stories. For the most part, it should be little more than doing the animation work.

Unless they were stupid enough to delete all the files once the series wrapped production, of course!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping some new Enterprise flybys would be created but it seems like they're just gonna reuse the old ones, re-mastered of course

I've not seen that mentioned.
    As the effects all exist on video there would be no way to remaster them for HD successfully.
    They've already apologised in advance for the 13 seconds from Sins of the Father that they can't find that will be upscaled only so I doubt whether they will upscale any effects shots.

Reports from a year or two ago about some effects existing on 35mm appear to be false which isn't a surprise
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks excellent. I'll have to upgrade my DVD set:(. Oh well gives me an excuse to watch the whole 7 seasons again:D
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if they plan remaster the Blu Rays in 4:3 or will they crop to 16:9 like in the Original Series?? if it is 4:3 like in the Trailer then it will be the 1st I recall to be done so.. I have mixed feeling about it as although purest would love a straight 4:3 transfer, there a great visual bonus from watching it full screen (non stretch-vision) like T.O.S & such things like World at War.. it done properly of course.. As for the Visual effects they should be left alone me thinks, hate redone special effects on old things... just look at the star wars mess.. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with patching-up ropey-looking sfx IMHO, the problem Star Wars has is the randomly inserted dialogue and the ridiculous 'stepping over Jabba's tail,' and revisionist crap like Hayden Christiansen's ghost replacing Sebastian Shaw.

Personally I hate watching stuff in 4:3, but I have a Plasma TV which doesn't like long periods with black bars on it's sides!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    It looks excellent. I'll have to upgrade my DVD set:(. Oh well gives me an excuse to watch the whole 7 seasons again:D

Ah good, not just me thinking that then! :)
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    I've not seen that mentioned.
    As the effects all exist on video there would be no way to remaster them for HD successfully.
    They've already apologised in advance for the 13 seconds from Sins of the Father that they can't find that will be upscaled only so I doubt whether they will upscale any effects shots.

Reports from a year or two ago about some effects existing on 35mm appear to be false which isn't a surprise

When they refer to effects shots, I believe they mean the fully-composited optical fx work. eg. phasers, transporters, etc. The motion-control model work would all have been shot on 35mm film, so they will probably still have the stock footage, against blue/green screens.

The shot in the trailer of the Enterprise jumping to warp is clearly the old six-foot model and not a CGI recreation.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they plan remaster the Blu Rays in 4:3 or will they crop to 16:9 like in the Original Series?? if it is 4:3 like in the Trailer then it will be the 1st I recall to be done so.. I have mixed feeling about it as although purest would love a straight 4:3 transfer, there a great visual bonus from watching it full screen (non stretch-vision) like T.O.S & such things like World at War.. it done properly of course.. As for the Visual effects they should be left alone me thinks, hate redone special effects on old things... just look at the star wars mess.. :cry:

According to the reviews TOS is available as 4:3 as well as a chopped 16:9. The only sensible one to go for would be the 4:3, chopped 16:9 would be unwatchable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they plan remaster the Blu Rays in 4:3 or will they crop to 16:9 like in the Original Series??
    The original series is in 4:3 not 16:9 on Bluray.
    TNG will also be in 4:3 on Bluray.

But I'm sure they will create 16:9 versions for tv channels with viewers who can't cope with borders just as they did with TOS for CBS Action