Has 1D surpassed Leona yet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
Forum Member
Have One Direction surpassed Leona Lewis to become the X Factor's most successful alumni worldwide?

Comments

• WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This annoys me so much. 1D will never pass Leona as most successful. Leona didn't have half the stuff 1D did. 1D would get millions of YouTube views from the US weekly, so they weren't ever really unknown. Leona went from unknown to full on super-star. She had the biggest selling single in the UK in 2007, and biggest selling single in USA in 2008. Her album has sold so much more than 1D have with their 2 (or 3?). Without Leona, I doubt 1D would ever of had the success they have had, because without Leona I don't think the ratings would ever of improved because there was never a 'star'. Alexandra too, she was similar, she was a big break-out success, and without them 1D never would of got anywhere.
  • etamineetamine Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're one of the most successful acts in the world right now, so yes. They have.

3 world records, fastest selling preorder release in Amazon's history, a stadium tour. Which bit of that did Leona ever achieve?

I know she's DS's version of the virgin Mary, but to say she's not been overtaken is absurd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    etamine wrote: »
    They're one of the most successful acts in the world right now, so yes. They have.

3 world records, fastest selling preorder release in Amazon's history, a stadium tour. Which bit of that did Leona ever attain?

I know she's DS's version of the virgin Mary, but to say she's not been overtaken is absurd.

But how is it absurd at all? 1D are not as big - sales wise - as the media would like us to believe.

Both their album sales added together don't pass Leona's first albums sales. Bleeding Love sold more than any of their singles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But how is it absurd at all? 1D are not as big - sales wise - as the media would like us to believe.

Both their album sales added together don't pass Leona's first albums sales. Bleeding Love sold more than any of their singles.

One Direction don't sell singles, they sell albums and tour tickets. Neither of Leona's tours sold out, yet 1D's 62 and 131 date tours sold 99% and 98%, the second within a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    etamine wrote: »
    One Direction don't sell singles, they sell albums and tour tickets. Neither of Leona's tours sold out, yet 1D's 62 and 131 date tours did, the second within a day.

So Leona is better at selling singles - as you have said - and Leona sells more albums - shown by evidence of sales. So, really, what we have agreed is that Leona is better in 2 out of the 3 main things mentioned, so please, tell me, how they have surpassed Leona? Hmm?
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona went from unknown to full on super-star.
    And has pretty much gone back to being unknown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Leona is better at selling singles - as you have said - and Leona sells more albums - shown by evidence of sales. So, really, what we have agreed is that Leona is better in 2 out of the 3 main things mentioned, so please, tell me, how they have surpassed Leona? Hmm?

And where is Leona now? Releasing a Christmas album :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And has pretty much gone back to being unknown.

Whether she has or not, that's completely irrelevant. If she stays 'unknown' for the next 50 years and went and lived in a shed on top of a mountain, the fact could still remain that she sold LOADS. Her sales don't decrease because she has gone back to being unknown - yet had a top 10 album and single last year, but we will ignore that fact just for you - so until 1D surpass Leona, she will stay as the most successful X Factor contestant, yet maybe not the most relevant, or richest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I will again refer you to this.
    Whether she has or not, that's completely irrelevant. If she stays 'unknown' for the next 50 years and went and lived in a shed on top of a mountain, the fact could still remain that she sold LOADS. Her sales don't decrease because she has gone back to being unknown - yet had a top 10 album and single last year, but we will ignore that fact just for you - so until 1D surpass Leona, she will stay as the most successful X Factor contestant, yet maybe not the most relevant, or richest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It truly depends on your definition of success.

I'd say sustaining worldwide success for over 2 years, having your group name known straight off, 3 world records and selling out stadiums is a better benchmark than racking up sales over 6 years vs 2 for 1d.

Not to mention net worth, 1D is tipped to be the first billion dollar boyband in raw earnings for the label. Leona's are $580mil after triple the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly in the same market are they? Let's compare with Led Zeppelin or Pavarotti! Makes as much sense!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty sure success can be defined by more than just sales ;)

But since you seem to be so concerned about sales, let me just remind you that her "top 10 album and single last year" both fell off the UK chart at lightning speed. I think her 3rd album sold less than 75,000 in the UK? Which is pretty bad.

One Direction - rightly or wrongly - are global superstars now. And if they haven't outsold Leona yet, it's only a matter of time. Anyway, you can keep clutching at those straws all you like, it matters not one jot to me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure success can be defined by more than just sales ;)

But since you seem to be so concerned about sales, let me just remind you that her "top 10 album and single last year" both fell off the UK chart at lightning speed. I think her 3rd album sold less than 75,000 in the UK? Which is pretty bad.

One Direction - rightly or wrongly - are global superstars now. And if they haven't outsold Leona yet, it's only a matter of time. Anyway, you can keep clutching at those straws all you like, it matters not one jot to me

It's great that it doesn't matter one jot to you. I'm guessing we can agree they haven't surpassed Leona yet? Good!
  • noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in the UK they aren't.........

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/22/leona-lewis-tops-list-of-biggest-selling-x-factor-artists-in-uk-3934820/

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1880032

Leona has been around much longer and will likely still be around when 1D call it a day so I imagine Leona will remain at the top.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they have. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're in a different stratosphere to Leona. To argue otherwise is selective myopia.

One album off the back of a TV show and one big single isn't the definition of a worldwide superstar. It was a quick climb to the summit and a quick descent down the other side
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D's debut album: ~1,000,000
    1D's second album: ~850,000

Leona's debut album: ~3,000,000
    Leona's second album: 600,000-900,000

Both artists have clearly been very successful. In terms of album sales, 1D haven't matched Leona, mainly due to the huge sales of Spirit. I think it's important to note that although Leona isn't at her peak right now, she'll probably recover to some extent at some point in the future. Plus 1D have a limited shelf-life, so Leona will be around for much longer. Her Christmas album should manage decent sales.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,211
    Forum Member
    You really can't compare the two, Leona can sing, 1D can't (imo) of course 1D will sell more tours, Albums because teenie girls luv them because they fancy them, if 1D realsed a song where they did nothing but burped all the way through it they teenie girls would still buy it. Leona is a million times better then the crap that are 1D.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    To be fair, Leona made it internationally on her talent.

One Direction made it on screaming teenage girls.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member

Have you heard the lead single though? It's one of the best that anyone has ever released from X Factor.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    To be fair, Leona made it internationally on her talent.

One Direction made it on screaming teenage girls.

Leona has Grammy nominations....*sips tea*. ;)
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    JB92 wrote: »
    1D's debut album: ~1,000,000
    1D's second album: ~850,000

Leona's debut album: ~3,000,000
    Leona's second album: 600,000-900,000

Both artists have clearly been very successful. In terms of album sales, 1D haven't matched Leona, mainly due to the huge sales of Spirit. I think it's important to note that although Leona isn't at her peak right now, she'll probably recover to some extent at some point in the future. Plus 1D have a limited shelf-life, so Leona will be around for much longer. Her Christmas album should manage decent sales.

I take it this is UK sales?

According to their record label 1D have sold 30 million albums and singles globally. Sounds a lot but considering their last album sold over half a million in the first week in the US alone its most likely an accurate figure.
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's pretty safe to say that One Direction are X Factor's biggest discovery to date.

X Factor USA put a press release for next week yesterday and it says that with just two albums, 1D sold 35 million records worldwide. This number includes albums and singles and maybe even tour DVD. I think their debut album sold over 8 million copies worldwide, which is about as much as "Spirit" and Tom from McFly got a plaque several months ago and at that time the second album had 5.3 million sales. Note that not many acts sell 5 million albums worldwide these days. One Direction are releasing another album later this month and this will just increase their numbers. All that promo will help sell the new album and the old ones will increase, too.

DVD of their first tour also sold well over a million copies and that market is really small (at least in the US). Only Adele sold way more than 1D.

Leona had one big international hit that was bigger than 1D's big hit. The songs sold about the same number in the US, but when Leona's song was released, the digital market wasn't as strong as it is now. However, 1D now have three other songs that sold at least 1 million each (platinum) in the US.

There is no denying that Leona's debut album was way bigger in the UK than One Direction's. However, she also had a much bigger sophomore slump.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In term of sales, it depends on how their next albums do I suppose...

But Leona has been on a downward spiral every since her amazing 1st album worldwide while 1D have build onto the success of their 1st album when they released the second (no big sophmore slump)... We will see how the 3rd album does.

I suppose if you want to compare only the UK sales, you can find quite a few acts who have sold more than 1D. 1D's big success is that they sell all around the world.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Leona has Grammy nominations....*sips tea*. ;)

Did she win? *dunks biscuit in tea* :)