BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Here we go...
    Waiting in advance for the mapperly ridge know all smug sound off only for a subsequent retraction and apology - see many examples above.
    Last year's Champions League winners versus the Premier League winners elect and who do we get for our licence fee? Jimmy Armfield? David Pleat, Graham. Taylor? Shearer? Lawrenson? Pat Nevin? No Savage. Mike Ingham must either be cringing or coasting and simply happy for the buck.

Many examples? When I get it wrong I say so. You're clearly attempting to goad me. Can't say I've ever defended the presence of Savage on this forum or anywhere else. I can't stand the guy.

Sorry to disappoint.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Here we go...
    Waiting in advance for the mapperly ridge know all smug sound off only for a subsequent retraction and apology - see many examples above.
    Last year's Champions League winners versus the Premier League winners elect and who do we get for our licence fee? Jimmy Armfield? David Pleat, Graham. Taylor? Shearer? Lawrenson? Pat Nevin? No Savage. Mike Ingham must either be cringing or coasting and simply happy for the buck.

Savage seems to be 5live's main summeriser now, apart friom the few occasions where they can get David Moyes to do the gig.
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    In what way does this 'Double Take' show, "Take the week's news and look at it from a different angle"?

It's not a bad show, interesting enough, but seems to discuss news issues in exactly the same at as any other news show.

I completely agree. It's just the same stuff over again like a lot of the rolling news output.

Plus Sam Walker has another Burden-type voice.

I like Anita, but it's fairly poor.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many examples? When I get it wrong I say so. You're clearly attempting to goad me. Can't say I've ever defended the presence of Savage on this forum or anywhere else. I can't stand the guy.

Sorry to disappoint.

many examples? fellow licence fee paying digital spies have only to scan the above for the resident apologist's faux pas on vd's attendance (or lack of) at the publically funded salford operation, the pregnancy/birth programme - accusing people. (in error) of criticism before its even broadcast etc. etc.. When it had in fact been broadcast.
    If you do dislike Savage why not openly say it rather than wait as drop it in simply as an aside?
    I look forwrd to you being less disparaging and pompous towards people giving their opinions in after all what is only a forum.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I can top what's been posted above I'll just leave it to the others who summarised so well :)

Anyway shock tonight that switching on Nolan for 3rd night that after 2 in a row he wasn't actually discussing sex changes with parents of children ......thought he was going for the hat trick....

Missed F1 show have to iplayer it _ interested to see how jennie gow got on with suzi Perry - she got very knocky on Twitter when she had taken over her job on moto gp even though she'd resigned.....guess fact she's now got top role presenting f1 on tv will smooth the way....
    Anyone else listen to it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    What is this 'Bomp Clob' they keep advertising?...... Oh it's Bump Club ;):D

I cannot stand listening to "The Bishop" and Charlie Wolf on Nolan's Sunday show. They have nothing new to say. Same rubbish every week.

Bishop: "Benefit cuts are bad"

Wolf: "No they aren't"

Bishop: "Yes they ARE"

Wolf: "No they aren't"

Nolan: (Sounding really pleased with himself). "Wow. The Bishop is really upset tonight".

she got very knocky

What does that mean?
    Forum Member
    many examples? fellow licence fee paying digital spies have only to scan the above for the resident apologist's faux pas on vd's attendance (or lack of) at the publically funded salford operation, the pregnancy/birth programme - accusing people. (in error) of criticism before its even broadcast etc. etc.. When it had in fact been broadcast.
    If you do dislike Savage why not openly say it rather than wait as drop it in simply as an aside?
    I look forwrd to you being less disparaging and pompous towards people giving their opinions in after all what is only a forum.

Which faux pas was that then? What I've said is that some posters seem to be more obsessed with Victoria's location rather than the content of the programme. The almost-daily role call and attendance statistics would seem to demonstrate that.

On that point, I've then gone on to suggest that using generalisations (like "sob story") don't always reflect the reality of the content and given an explanation as to why I thought so.

On Savage, it was suggested by a poster that I would be quickly on here defending him. I said I cannot stand the guy. If that's not openly saying it, I don't know what is!

So - "many examples" may indeed refer to times when I've strongly disagreed with some of the nasty, personal and vile comments on here - but not to stuff which I've actually got wrong.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    What I've said is that some posters seem to be more obsessed with Victoria's location rather than the content of the programme. The almost-daily role call and attendance statistics would seem to demonstrate that.

I don’t think you could claim there hasn’t been a lot of discussion about the content of VD’s programme?

The ‘obsession’ with location it related to the double standards and apparent special treatment VD gets. A £1 billion investment in relocating to Media City, staff forced to quit or relocate while VD continues to live and broadcast from London. The previous controller defending the expense of flying in Nolan in each week but then for some reason the same editorial and production arguments do not apply to VD. Surely this is a relevant topic of discussion?

Anyway to keep you updated, no show in Salford today
  • danjamesdanjames Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I notice on the schedule for Monday next week that Tony Livesey is in for Victoria with Max Rushden in for Tony in the evenings - is this the 1st time Max has been on 5 Live?
    Forum Member
    I don’t think you could claim there hasn’t been a lot of discussion about the content of VD’s programme?

The ‘obsession’ with location it related to the double standards and apparent special treatment VD gets. A £1 billion investment in relocating to Media City, staff forced to quit or relocate while VD continues to live and broadcast from London. The previous controller defending the expense of flying in Nolan in each week but then for some reason the same editorial and production arguments do not apply to VD. Surely this is a relevant topic of discussion?

Anyway to keep you updated, no show in Salford today

All reasonable points for debate, yes. But for someone to call my contributions on this as "faux pas" is not true.

Nor is suggesting that I only challenge debates on BBC topics.

Etc.
  • Jordan_ZainJordan_Zain Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    This week all week 5live are in cheltenham do you think its worth it for them to head down there to cover something we cant see
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I see Fogherty is off to bloody Italy to report on the Pope. Who cares?

When will people start to ignore these silly sky fairy people? The Pope? I'm sick and tired of hearing about the effing Pope.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    danjames wrote: »
    I notice on the schedule for Monday next week that Tony Livesey is in for Victoria with Max Rushden in for Tony in the evenings - is this the 1st time Max has been on 5 Live?
    I could be wrong, but I think he may have done 606 once.
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=catholics+in+the+UK
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    This week all week 5live are in cheltenham do you think its worth it for them to head down there to cover something we cant see

It's radio. We can't see anything they cover.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »

I've said this before but quoted Chris Evans - it's pointless broadcasting a show away from studio it loses the magic & as you can't see it there's little point being there unless you're on a jolly of course which Cheltenham & Italy are .... :o
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When will people start to ignore these silly sky fairy people? The Pope? I'm sick and tired of hearing about the effing Pope.
    Since Shelagh Fogarty has been broadcasting solo after her successful breakfast stint bouncimg off NC's banter she's been a big disappointment. I find her now tedious enough to listen to most of the time. Even Gabby Logan was far better in that slot. Fogarty + Pope? No thnx!
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danjames wrote: »

Max has dep'd for Tony before but quite a while ago...he's a very confident and capable presenter - glad to see he's coming back for a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I always enjoy the Cheltenham coverage. I'm not even that 'into' horse racing but in the past it has always been done well.

It's ridiculous sending out Shelagh to Italy. Not because of the expense but all the presenters end up doing is interviewing reporters who are also there to cover the same event :yawn:

None of the crew appear able to speak Italian so they j end up trying desperately to find an ice cream seller who can speak a few words of English...... Eh, Rachel Burden?

Shelagh seems to have become 5Live's Catholic expert because she went to Catholic school....... :rolleyes:
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Thompson, recently of Channel 4 , will be heading up the Cheltenham coverage which has been extended to cover all of the races this year (1.30 to 5.15)
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Since Shelagh Fogarty has been broadcasting solo after her successful breakfast stint bouncimg off NC's banter she's been a big disappointment. I find her now tedious enough to listen to most of the time. Even Gabby Logan was far better in that slot. Fogarty + Pope? No thnx!

I agree, her show is a complete borefest. 5live sadly is a no go area on weekdays between 10am-2pm because its such a dull, boring listen.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why aren't they covering the Championship game tonight on FiveLive? All we are getting is the bunch of blokes yapping on and on. I thought it was the News and Sport station, surely they should have sport on when there is some happening! I give up, I really do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18153109

While BBC Radio 5 live and 5 live Sports Extra will continue to have non-exclusive rights to all Football League, League Cup and play-off matches, and Mark Clemmit will present a comprehensive round-up of all the weekend's Football League action every Monday on 5 live Sport throughout the season.

I can't remember the last time I heard that!
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member

So you're criticising him for giving an opinion on you giving an opinion? Hang on while I get my irony detector.

As for only a forum ... that's all well and good, but when some people get personal on Digital Spy they forget the people they're talking about are human beings.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    So you're criticising him for giving an opinion on you giving an opinion? Hang on while I get my irony detector.

As for only a forum ... that's all well and good, but when some people get personal on Digital Spy they forget the people they're talking about are human beings.

Its all the talking down to that grates.
    As for the human beings no one forced a person with a cough every sentence to be a highly paid radio presenter. In the real world that person and the following two gloom mistresses would have been long departed - let alone one of them's total disregard for corporate policy and far superior colleagues who followed the policy or said no thanks and walked. By the way all these people are human beings too.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pros of Cheltenham

The peerless Inverdale back on radio for a few days

Cons

Kevin Day. Pointless and unfunny.
This discussion has been closed.