Which is best ????

laurengirllaurengirl Posts: 553
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all getting a new phone for bday so what is the best phone iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S4?

Comments

• Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's primarily a matter of personal preference.

What phone do you have just now?
    Which OS do you prefer?
    Does the size of the handset matter to you?
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    It's primarily a matter of personal preference.

What phone do you have just now?
    Which OS do you prefer?
    Does the size of the handset matter to you?

2nd this as well.

Also go and have a play in the store with the phones (don't let the shop talk you into one phone and go with what you like best).
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The s4 is the better phone by a long way any other answer is going to mislead you in the wrong direction.

However if you understand the difference between the operating systems you may for some reason wish to go with the iPhone as it runs iOS where the s4 runs android.

If that means nowt to you then in simple terms the Samsung is the better phone go with that.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your best bet OP, go into a shop (or if you have mates with the phones) and have a play with the handsets. The best phone for you will come down to how you personally feel about the options. Anything else is just others opinions unless you are totally ambivalent on anything but specs.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    The s4 is the better phone by a long way any other answer is going to mislead you in the wrong direction.

What may be the better phone for you, may not be the better phone for the OP.
    At least give the OP some reasons as to why the S4 is the better option over the iPhone 5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Well played OP. Way to start a bun fight .... :D
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I mentioned before, these threads are really getting boring. All the time there are new threads about "should I get this phone or the other?" and it just ends up with 20 different opinions.
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    What may be the better phone for you, may not be the better phone for the OP.
    At least give the OP some reasons as to why the S4 is the better option over the iPhone 5.

I'm not being drawn into a ridiculous debate over which is better. Any sane person who knows anything about modern smartphones cannot claim that the iPhone 5 is the better phone however if you wish to give the op that impression when a very straight forward question was asked go ahead with you idiocy.

If there are preferences that the op has unknown as yet which may make one or the other preferable then that may suit them better but as the post stands the s4 simply is the better phone any claim the the contrary just makes you look even sillier than now.

That applies to column of that post still stands ;)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you get the Samsung surfboard at least get the google edition then you dont have to suffer touchwiz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laurengirl wrote: »
    Hi all getting a new phone for bday so what is the best phone iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S4?

Theres only one way to find out

FFIGGHHTTTTTT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6biYPUXMeZE
    Forum Member
    I'm not being drawn into a ridiculous debate over which is better.

Then why even bother posting in a thread that quite simply asks which phone is better then?:confused:
    It doesn't have to be a ridiculous debate or turn into a fanboy pissing contest, the OP obviously would like to get some opinions before they commit, which you stated that the S4 is the better phone by a long way.
    I'm sorry, but that doesn't really tell the OP anything at all, so I'm sure the OP would like to know why this is.
    I've never used the S4 myself so I cannot really give an opinion, but I would be interested to know myself.
    Your the one coming across as the knowledgeable one, so I think its only fair that you share this knowledge within this particular thread to help the OP.
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Then why even bother posting in a thread that quite simply asks which phone is better then?:confused:
    It doesn't have to be a ridiculous debate or turn into a fanboy pissing contest, the OP obviously would like to get some opinions before they commit, which you stated that the S4 is the better phone by a long way.
    I'm sorry, but that doesn't really tell the OP anything at all, so I'm sure the OP would like to know why this is.
    I've never used the S4 myself so I cannot really give an opinion, but I would be interested to know myself.
    Your the one coming across as the knowledgeable one, so I think its only fair that you share this knowledge within this particular thread to help the OP.

Eh? The op asked which phone was better and I answered perhaps you could clarify to the op why you think the s4 being better is not actually the case.

Any independent review site will be able to provide the op with all the information required on the merits of each phone.

But for reference the s4 is faster, fully 4g, better camera, better screen, better value to name a few.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    if you get the Samsung surfboard at least get the google edition then you dont have to suffer touchwiz
    What's the problem with TouchWiz? I'm not even sure I know what it is.

I have a Samsung phone btw, and don't see much difference from my Nexus 7. Well, the Nexus 7 has fewer home screens (5 as opposed to 7), but then it's a much larger area.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    But

The HTC One is better than both. :D

Aww can feel the heat already!
    Forum Member
    Eh? The op asked which phone was better and I answered perhaps you could clarify to the op why you think the s4 being better is not actually the case.

Any independent review site will be able to provide the op with all the information required on the merits of each phone.

But for reference the s4 is faster, fully 4g, better camera, better screen, better value to name a few.

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I would if hoped to of seen posted when I first mentioned it.
    Maybe its just me, but when I'm looking to buy something I want a little bit more info on a product than its 'just better'.
    I was always under the impression that Digital Spy was the place to go for any sort of help with tech questions(which was the reason I joined in 2005), but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case anymore :(
    Forum Member
    It would be if there wasn't so much nonsense about there being no best phone all down to personal choice go try them out etc

There will always be preferences for various phones as with anything in life but this doesn't change facts, perhaps you should explain why the iPhone is possibly better for the op than the s4. I can't see where you have explained that anywhere.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be if there wasn't so much nonsense about there being no best phone all down to personal choice go try them out etc

There will always be preferences for various phones as with anything in life but this doesn't change facts, perhaps you should explain why the iPhone is possibly better for the op than the s4. I can't see where you have explained that anywhere.

But it is about personal choice. The best phone for an individual is the one they prefer isn't it ? there is no factual answer to this one.

There are pros and cons to either choice.

If someone asks my opinion, I'll advice them that the iPhone is possibly a better choice for non-technical types as it's simpler to use and Android for tech types who like to customise more etc. It also depends on what sort of apps they might like to get and so on and which are available on either platform

Then they can go into a store and decide for themselves which they like.

Edit : if stability is important I'd guess the iphone is perhaps more stable on the whole( I bit of an assumption based on hardware/software integration ). I've got a stock Nexus 4 with the latest updates but it does need to be re-booted every now and then and still has some stability issues but I can live with them.

Simples
    Forum Member
    And on that basis no advice on phones can be offered to any one can it. You can make the same argument for any two phones until it becomes ludicrous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And on that basis no advice on phones can be offered to any one can it. You can make the same argument for any two phones until it becomes ludicrous.

As I said my advice depend who I'm giving the advice to. In general iphone for non techies and android for more techie types.
    Forum Member
    perhaps you should explain why the iPhone is possibly better for the op than the s4. I can't see where you have explained that anywhere.

As I already posted above, Ive never used an S4 so how can I possibly say if the iPhone 5 is better or not.
    Yeah I like the iPhone 5 as that's what I've got, its easy to use and have no issues with it, there's plenty of apps I like and I can make calls,texts and go on the Internet throughout the day, but that's as much as I can give due to having nothing to compare it to other than a 3GS before that and an LG Viewty and LG shine before that which isn't really going to help the OP.
    You claimed the S4 is the better of the two, which one would assume you may have experience in both phones to make such a statement.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With the amount of information the OP has given, there is no way of answering the question. In order for a recommendation to be given or an opinion with anything other than the poster's personal bias, the OP needs to give more info about what they want to use the phone for, how technical they are, what other kit they own, whether they're already part of an existing ecosystem etc.

I mean, if the OP has owned and purchased a load of apps from Google Play, and has an Android tablet, it would make little sense to recommend an iPhone. Likewise, if they're a Mac user who has a library of TV shows and movies bought off iTunes which are stored in iCloud, then the S4 isn't likely to be the best fit.

So my answer to the original poster's question is "give us a clue what you want it for and what you currently have/use and then we can try and help!" :D
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my 2 pennies worth...

i had the opportunity to have an S4 and a Nexus4 in my hands at the same time (Nexus 4 was mine, S4 was someone else's).

IMO the Nexus4 is the much better phone (it's my opinion though and will obviously differ from others). the S4, IMO, felt very cheap and plastic-y, and i hated touchwiz.

the Nexus4 was cheaper, but felt like a much more substantial device. on using the 2 i could see no apparent performance difference.

the only differences where no 4G on the Nexus4 (but i don't want or need 4G for the foreseeable future), and no SD-card support (again no need for SD card support).

so there you go. the Nexus 4 is the better phone..... IMO.

so maybe the OPs question should be... iPhone 5 or Nexus 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    my 2 pennies worth...

i had the opportunity to have an S4 and a Nexus4 in my hands at the same time (Nexus 4 was mine, S4 was someone else's).

IMO the Nexus4 is the much better phone (it's my opinion though and will obviously differ from others). the S4, IMO, felt very cheap and plastic-y, and i hated touchwiz.

the Nexus4 was cheaper, but felt like a much more substantial device. on using the 2 i could see no apparent performance difference.

the only differences where no 4G on the Nexus4 (but i don't want or need 4G for the foreseeable future), and no SD-card support (again no need for SD card support).

so there you go. the Nexus 4 is the better phone..... IMO.

so maybe the OPs question should be... iPhone 5 or Nexus 4.

Yes love the Nexus 4 the vanilla android and the guaranteed updates you will get when the next version of android arrives.

MUCH Cheaper and runs any app/game I can find as well as an S4
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    But it is about personal choice. The best phone for an individual is the one they prefer isn't it ? there is no factual answer to this one.

There are pros and cons to either choice.

If someone asks my opinion, I'll advice them that the iPhone is possibly a better choice for non-technical types as it's simpler to use and Android for tech types who like to customise more etc. It also depends on what sort of apps they might like to get and so on and which are available on either platform

Then they can go into a store and decide for themselves which they like.

Edit : if stability is important I'd guess the iphone is perhaps more stable on the whole( I bit of an assumption based on hardware/software integration ). I've got a stock Nexus 4 with the latest updates but it does need to be re-booted every now and then and still has some stability issues but I can live with them.

Simples

Bang on.

Agree 100%.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I've got a stock Nexus 4 with the latest updates but it does need to be re-booted every now and then and still has some stability issues but I can live with them.

can't say i've come across anything like that on my nexus 4.
    could be a rogue app causing your problems.