Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw that earlier and assumed it had bumped out the Outnumbered repeat. If it's at that time its either a clunker or they want to grow it like Mrs Browns and (hopefully) Citizen Khan. The slot obviously wasn't fatal to either of those.

It is odd not to flag that its basically Lapland. Some may work it out, or recognise that its vaguely familiar, and the daily papers and guides will flag it too. But you think they would have linked it to Lapland in the trail given it was well received and rated quite well.

It seems that this is BBC1's strategy with a lot of new comedy now - launching it at 10.35 on Mondays, then, if all goes well moving it to primetime. Given how new comedy on Friday at 9.30 has done (eg. Me and Mrs Jones), it might be a good move, although in a way it seems a waste. But if its well received it will get a prime time repeat anyway I'm sure.

A little bit surprised in this case however given its already got a good rating.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I've found another ratings source: the Metro newspaper. They have got an article up today which is more than our usual web sources have managed.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/26/celebrity-big-brother-final-scores-record-ratings-as-over-3m-see-rylan-clarks-victory-3367851/

It's a bit sketchy, and mainly about CBB, but their reports are sometimes more detailed, e.g. this one:

http://metro.co.uk/2011/02/22/mrs-browns-boys-rakes-in-2-6million-viewers-for-the-bbc-640435/

Something to bear in mind when our few remaining ratings machines go on the blink!
    iaindb wrote: »
    BBC1 just screened a trailer for Being Eileen. Mun shows an interest. "It's on at 10.30" I tell him. "Well, I won't be watching it, then" says Mum. Yeah, her and the rest of the country.

It really pisses me off when BBC1 screen scripted material in 10.35 slot, particularly when they have so little comedy in peak-viewing. I thought they were cutting that out now that they've had their money cut. Obviously, you didn't cut the licence fee far enough, Tories. :mad:

The trouble is, the comedies and comedy dramas that BBC One have premiered in core primetime in recent years generally haven't done the business. Mrs Brown's Boys was at 22:35 on a winter Monday and grew, earning promotion to a better slot and becoming a massive success; Citizen Khan performed reasonably well in the same slot, this time in summer. Outnumbered also began after the late news in summer.

Miranda started life on BBC Two; Gavin & Stacey on BBC Three.

Me and Mrs Jones was launched in the Friday comedy zone last autumn and failed. In a similar slot, In with the Flynns earned a single re-commission but was not a hit and was cancelled last year. Not Going Out was one exception, as it launched in Friday core primetime and still survives (its 6th series due in the spring). Even that had been cancelled and brought back, however, so it has had a rocky road although the last series rated really well. I can't think of any other successes that launched in core primetime recently, but my memory isn't great these days.

The BBC seems to think that most comedies benefit from launching on nursery slopes to give them a chance to grow gradually, if that's not a mangling of metaphors. Someone suggested earlier that ITV should have done something similar with Great Night Out. Comedy is very hard to get right at any time, it must be said. And it's nearly as pricey as drama, so the risks are high.

EDIT: Basically, what ronant and others have just said, far more concisely! :D
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    The trouble is, the comedies and comedy dramas that BBC One have premiered in core primetime in recent years generally haven't done the business. Mrs Brown's Boys was at 22:35 on a winter Monday and grew, earning promotion to a better slot and becoming a massive success; Citizen Khan performed reasonably well in the same slot, this time in summer. Outnumbered also began after the late news in summer.

Me and Mrs Jones was launched in the Friday comedy zone last autumn and failed. In a similar slot, In with the Flynns earned a single re-commission but was not a hit and was cancelled last year. Not Going Out was one exception, as it launched in Friday core primetime and still survives (its 6th series due in the spring). Even that had been cancelled and brought back, however, so it has had a rocky road although the last series rated really well. I can't think of any other successes

The BBC seems to think that most comedies benefit from launching on nursery slopes to give them a chance to grow gradually, if that's not a mangling of metaphors. Someone suggested earlier that ITV should have done something similar with Great Night Out. Comedy is very hard to get right at any time, it must be said.

I remember Danny Cohen at the Edinburgh TV Festival talking about the cuts to BBC1 post 10.35, and he was concerned about this because he wanted money for those slots for experimentation. I guess Mrs Brown's Boys and Citizen Khan are exactly the sort of programmes he is talking about.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Citizen Khan next, i reckon a primetime repeat run, probably on Friday nights, followed by a new series in primetime.

The problem for ITV of course is they don't put any money at all in big chunks of their schedule - post 10.35, pre 6pm on weekends. That, I think is a big mistake and has massively damaged the channel. It doesn't just damage those areas of the schedule that they leave, it damages peaktime too, because for one thing people get out the habit of watching ITV, and also because new ideas can come from late night or, for example, Saturday morning. It also simply really damages the brand, and it becomes an also-ran, despite the big budget. Hopefully BBC1 never goes down that road.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    I think cohen suggested low budget experimental stuff for the post news slot until they have more money again and maybe repeats there unfortunately. A shame cos good stuff can come out of that slot.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    I remember Danny Cohen at the Edinburgh TV Festival talking about the cuts to BBC1 post 10.35, and he was concerned about this because he wanted money for those slots for experimentation. I guess Mrs Brown's Boys and Citizen Khan are exactly the sort of programmes he is talking about.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Citizen Khan next, i reckon a primetime repeat run, probably on Friday nights, followed by a new series in primetime.

The problem for ITV of course is they don't put any money at all in big chunks of their schedule - post 10.35, pre 6pm on weekends. That, I think is a big mistake and has massively damaged the channel. It doesn't just damage those areas of the schedule that they leave, it damages peaktime too, because for one thing people get out the habit of watching ITV, and also because new ideas can come from late night or, for example, Saturday morning. Hopefully BBC1 never goes down that road.

Citizen Khan will be interesting. I thought it was excellent-it has a seventies style ensemble feel to it(like Mrs Brown) and made me laugh-though an Asian work colleague pointed out some words in the script that meant nothing to me but did add to the narative. Fascinated to see the ratings if it does end up in primetime.

EDIT-If this was the seventies Michael Bates would have probably ended up as Citizen Khan ;)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me and Mrs Jones was launched in the Friday comedy zone last autumn and failed. In a similar slot, In with the Flynns earned a single re-commission but was not a hit and was cancelled last year. Not Going Out was one exception, as it launched in Friday core primetime and still survives (its 6th series due in the spring). Even that had been cancelled and brought back, however, so it has had a rocky road although the last series rated really well. I can't think of any other successes that launched in core primetime recently, but my memory isn't great these days.

The BBC seems to think that most comedies benefit from launching on nursery slopes to give them a chance to grow gradually, if that's not a mangling of metaphors. Someone suggested earlier that ITV should have done something similar with Great Night Out. Comedy is very hard to get right at any time, it must be said. And it's nearly as pricey as drama, so the risks are high.

I just don't buy this idea that BBC1 can't launch a successful new comedy in a primetime slot. I don't think for a moment Miranda would have flopped if it had launched on BBC1 instead of BBC2.

In With The Flynns was sub-standard My Family and Me And Mrs Jones had a far-too-ordinary central character. Compare the character of Mrs Jones with Mrs Brown or Miranda.

I would assume the new Ben Elton and David Walliams sitcoms will launch in primetime but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jason Byrne comedy (which is adapted from a Radio 2 series just like Miranda was) started in a 10.35 slot.

I've looked at the BARB website and Lapland had 6.9m viewers which is a brilliant audience so the only reason for the spin-off series not to be giving a primetime slot is that it's total shit.

edit: I'll expect every review for Being Eileen to say "this looks like being the worst programme of 2013 if not the whole of the decade". If any reviews says "this is good" I'll be bloody furious.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I think cohen suggested low budget experimental stuff for the post news slot until they have more money again and maybe repeats there unfortunately. A shame cos good stuff can come out of that slot.

One idea they might try is to repeat BBC Three and Four scripted output after the news.

I don't think we should expect a massive change post-22:35, however. Most of the year Question Time occupies Thursdays and The Graham Norton Show Fridays. On Monday to Wednesday over the next two weeks we have five new programmes and one repeat at 22:35. It may deteriorate, but we'll see. It's welcome to see ITV doing something in late peak, by putting The Agenda on Mondays after the news (albeit only 8 episodes in this run), but I reckon this is more about Ofcom box-ticking than a real desire to invest there.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member

If I remember correctly, Benidorm was a half-hour at 10pm before moving to 9pm and then to an hour. This could be something ITV do more with shows like Great Night Out - grow and test the show in a slightly off-kilter slot (although now the nightly news is now taking that 10pm slot).
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    It seems that this is BBC1's strategy with a lot of new comedy now - launching it at 10.35 on Mondays, then, if all goes well moving it to primetime. Given how new comedy on Friday at 9.30 has done (eg. Me and Mrs Jones), it might be a good move, although in a way it seems a waste. But if its well received it will get a prime time repeat anyway I'm sure.

A little bit surprised in this case however given its already got a good rating.
    Being Eileen seems a very different show to both MBB and Citizen Khan. It doesn't look like it's got the sort of OTT, slapstick sort of comedy that is going to get people talking and increase ratings through world of mouth like MBB and Khan. They might have changed the format significantly since Lapland bit it just screams a Sunday evening slot to me, ala Blandings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just tiptoed into the ITV Ratings Crisis thread, chucked in my two penn'orth regarding Great Night Out, and scampered back here! :D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone has Fringe's rating from last Wednesday, 10pm, Sky1 I'd be very grateful. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    If anyone has Fringe's rating from last Wednesday, 10pm, Sky1 I'd be very grateful. Thanks. :)
    20k (0.2%) :eek:

excludes +1 as I assume this is for RPG, not that it would make much difference
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The problem for ITV of course is they don't put any money at all in big chunks of their schedule - post 10.35, pre 6pm on weekends. That, I think is a big mistake and has massively damaged the channel. It doesn't just damage those areas of the schedule that they leave, it damages peaktime too, because for one thing people get out the habit of watching ITV, and also because new ideas can come from late night or, for example, Saturday morning. It also simply really damages the brand, and it becomes an also-ran, despite the big budget. Hopefully BBC1 never goes down that road.

The lead in from the BBC Ten O'Clock News helps a lot with the 10:35pm slot as well, 4m people ready to try something else for a bit before going to bed, whereas anything ITV try there have to get going almost from a standing start.

10:35pm may look ok at the moment but there has been periods where it has looked very poor. No proper commissions for when Graham Norton or Question Time are off air leading to endless repeats of Would I Lie to You or Live at the Apollo. Episodes of A Question of Sport turning up on various nights, sometimes new sometimes old, same with episodes of HIGNFY, sometimes the new 'More news', sometimes 'Old news' versions etc.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Thanks. :) Is that the first time we've had a 0.0 for the prediction game? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Thanks. :) Is that the first time we've had a 0.0 for the prediction game? :D
    Haha, nearly. Shortland Street on Sky Living recorded a similar figure in the past. It bit the dust not long after. :p
  • Options
    jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

I presume most people must have recorded the Friday night simulcast then? That's a horrendous figure. Hopefully the officials for the simulcast show a brighter picture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonnyblack wrote: »
    I presume most people must have recorded the Friday night simulcast then? That's a horrendous figure. Hopefully the officials for the simulcast show a brighter picture.
    That must have something to do with it. Even so, truly dire for Sky1. The Glee repeat beforehand didn't do much better either (42k/0.2%). I thought I'd clicked on Sky Atlantic by mistake for a second.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain's Brightest seems to have been cut back to an hour next Saturday. It might help if Clare Balding didn't spend so much time telling us they don't have time to give the answers to the questions so if you want them go to the BBC website:eek:
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Britain's Brightest seems to have been cut back to an hour next Saturday. It might help if Clare Balding didn't spend so much time telling us they don't have time to give the answers to the questions so if you want them go to the BBC website:eek:

Pointless Celebrities drafted in to fill the 6.15-7.00 slot on Saturday night
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 26th January 2013
    BBC One
    17:30 - Animal Antics: 2.52m (14.0%)
    18:00 - Richard Hammond's Secret Service: 1.96m (10.0%)
    18:45 - Britain's Brightest: 3.81m (17.3%)
    20:00 - Lottery: 4.69m (20.3%)
    20:50 - Casualty: 5.11m (22.3%)
    21:40 - Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.62m (22.1%)
    22:10 - BBC News: 4.26m (21.7%)

ITV
    12:10 - The FA Cup Live: 2.35m (23.2%)
    18:00 - You've Been Framed!: 4.67m (23.5%) / 4.84m (24.3%)
    * peak: 5.67m (27.1%) at 18:45 inc +1
    19:00 - Splash!: 4.84m (21.4%) / 5.11m (22.6%)
    * peak: 5.70m (24.3%) at 19:55 inc +1
    20:30 - Take Me Out: 3.96m (17.4%) / 4.16m (18.2%)
    21:45 - The Jonathan Ross Show: 2.49m (12.7%)
    22:45 - ITV News: 2.22m (13.7%)
    23:00 - The FA Cup Highlights: 1.92m (17.7%)
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain's Brightest really struggling now, the poor lead-in obviously not helping at all, but even so I suspect this wont be returning for a second series.

Everything down a bit from last week; I guess the fact there is less snow around isn't helping at all.

Splash did OK, although as it was the semi-final I guess itv would rather have seen he figures a little up from that.

The winner of the night in terms of share was YBF which beggars belief it really does...
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Saturday 26th January 2013
    BBC One
    17:30 - Animal Antics: 2.52m (14.0%)
    18:00 - Richard Hammond's Secret Service: 1.96m (10.0%)
    18:45 - Britain's Brightest: 3.81m (17.3%)
    20:00 - Lottery: 4.69m (20.3%)
    20:50 - Casualty: 5.11m (22.3%)
    21:40 - Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.62m (22.1%)
    22:10 - BBC News:

ITV
    12:10 - The FA Cup Live: 2.35m (23.2%)
    18:00 - You've Been Framed!: 4.67m (23.5%)
    19:00 - Splash!: 4.84m (21.4%)
    20:30 - Take Me Out: 3.96m (17.4%)
    21:45 - The Jonathan Ross Show: 2.49m (12.7%)
    22:45 - ITV News: 2.22m (13.7%)
    23:00 - The FA Cup Highlights: 1.92m (17.7%)

Looks like most shows are down this week?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV with +1:

You've Been Framed - 4.84m (24.3%)
    Splash! - 5.11m (22.6%)
    Take Me Out - 4.16m (18.2%)
    The Jonathan Ross Show - 2.73m (14.0%)
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonnyblack wrote: »

The 'live' show was the series linked one (not the regular Wednesday showing).

The on demand version was also available for five days before the repeat.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from You've Been Framed! (thanks Hammond...), I think everything is down week-on-week. The weather no doubt playing its part with most people being house bound for a week aside from work thanks to the snow.
This discussion has been closed.