I think Glee should have ended after Season 3.

Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just can't.

Season 1 introduced us to a cast who developed throughout the season while containing a wide variety of voices and personalities. We had more interesting and engaging storylines going with them during the time too. These were things I could really invest in and I grew attached them quickly. The songs that were performed were also relevant to the ongoing storylines. It was fun, unique and fresh. Ivan honestly say I enjoyed every episode from this season. I was always left with something. I was always interested in something and it always left me with something. Back when there was connection and real meaning to both the plot and song. (E.g Quinn's pregnancy, Finn developing as a leader, Rachel and her desire for attention, Kurt and his relationship with his dad, Artie and his disability etc). These were things I loved seeing develop.

Season 2 was pretty enjoyable for me. Of course, there was a bit of step down in quality from the previous season at the start but I think it managed to retain it quickly which was good enough for me. Some episodes really stood it to me such as Furt and Original songs. Kurt's bullying SL was also handled well in my honest opinion. Season 3 as a whole was fine too. Aside from a few duds, they were rather watchable for me and I could really invest in these seasons. They provided good content in the majority of episodes which left me satisfied.

Season 4 showed promise but unfortunately it just didn't deliver for me. While I was sad to see the departure of some of the original cast, I was wanted to give the new cast a chance and see would be in store for them and sadly it just didn't deliver. I liked some characters such as Marley and Jake but again the triangle storyline was brought back between her, Kitty and Jake which was done before with the original cast which is a shame because I was expecting something different. It was just rehashed. As well as the other characters, I could never really attach with them, I wasn't a big fan of Ryder, Unique didn't really interest me and the rest were just "meh".

Some potentially good SLs weren't handled in the best way. As for the original cast, it was good to see their presence but sometimes the mixture of New York/Mckinley didn't blend very well at times. There wasn't a proper balance of the two. I also didn't like how the typical cheating scenario was thrown now and then for Klaine. While there were a few good episodes on occasion, it wasn't successful to me as a whole. My interested pretty much evaporated. I just lost interest from this point on. Season 5 was pretty much the same except with the quality decreasing even more. The plans I've read for season 6 sound even worse. Does anyone feel this should have ended after season 3?

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 1 was just fantastic. It was everything a first season should be, but this was the show's donwfall. All the creativity went into season 1 and it lacked in the following seasons.

Season 2 was about three quarters as good as the first

The first half of season 3 was dreadful. The second half was a return to form

Season 4 was a much better improvement, despite the cast departures and Matthew morrison absent for several episodes.

Season 5 has been an absolute mess and I stopped watching. The finn tribute episode wasn't very good at all. The performances from all the actors who were grieving in real life as well in character were pathetic in showing that on camera. I have seen better episodes resolving around the death of a character, even when the actor didn't die in real life.

The acting isn't very good. Most of the actors are pretty much playing themselves anyway. The songs are auto tuned to the max. Many of the covers are ruined by so called singers who have such limited vocal range and can't reach the notes that are meant to be reached. Don't even get me started on Lea Michele. She over sings everything and has failed to make a transition from theatre to television, as she displays poor habits that work in the theatre but not in television at all. Sue has been a cringe character since about season 2 which pains me, as Jane Lynch is a fine actress who deserves better material than any of what she has been given. The show is also incredibly poor in character development. Many of the characters have also had identity crisis, where many have acted incredibly out of character due to such poor writing and direction by the crew.

It's become an absolute mess of a show. I can't decide whether the show should of ended or not after season 3 though.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah the finn tribute was not as good as i was expecting, i am sure i remembered them playing upbeat music during it too?

the last great episode i saw was when finn reformed glee cub and they did that dont dream its over song at the end,that was brillaint.

show really misses finn and i hope s6 is the last.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    show really misses finn and i hope s6 is the last.

A week after the tribute episode was aired, Ryan Murphy confirmed that Season 6 would be the final one.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching at the end of S3. It was a guilty pleasure for a while but then it just started to get too ridiculous. I really haven't missed it.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee was a show that I liked initially, but which I lost interest in very quickly. By season 3 I was done.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still watching it, but think this last season (5) is the worst. For me just does not work well out of the school setting.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should have copied Skins and changed the cast after the main characters left school.
  • Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee was a show that I liked initially, but which I lost interest in very quickly. By season 3 I was done.

Me too.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,778
    Forum Member
    I am still watching it, but think this last season (5) is the worst. For me just does not work well out of the school setting.

Exactly. It's a show called Glee that doesn't feature a Glee club anymore.

Friday Night Lights did it right as did Skins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it me or did anyone find how Rachel (with no previous theatre work at all) could audition for her very first broadway role of Funny girl and then win the role to be incredibly unrealistic? Even today's established theatre actors had to start with tiny parts.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Especially now they can't use the term 'Glee' any more thanks to the copyright issue with the Glee Club.

I've always said they should have had a spin off with 'The Rachel Berry Show' and kept Glee as Glee but with the new kids. The the Rachel Berry fans could have split off if they didn't like the original Glee and those of us who were Glee fans rather than Rachel Berry fans could have had our show as it was.
    Forum Member
    Especially now they can't use the term 'Glee' any more thanks to the copyright issue with the Glee Club.

I've always said they should have had a spin off with 'The Rachel Berry Show' and kept Glee as Glee but with the new kids. The the Rachel Berry fans could have split off if they didn't like the original Glee and those of us who were Glee fans rather than Rachel Berry fans could have had our show as it was.

But they are still using the word Glee. I presume they just settled with the Glee Club.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But they are still using the word Glee. I presume they just settled with the Glee Club.

Looks like they are appealing the court result, and it would only affect them in the UK anyway.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it me or did anyone find how Rachel (with no previous theatre work at all) could audition for her very first broadway role of Funny girl and then win the role to be incredibly unrealistic? Even today's established theatre actors had to start with tiny parts.

I would think that most people found that ridiculously unrealistic, and made even more ridiculous by her also somehow finding time to work as a waitress, and by her then being willing to risk her dream so she could go off to LA for a TV audition.
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It only didn't feature a Glee Club for just 8 episodes of season 5. Season 6 is going back to it's roots, so we can say it's still about Glee Club!
    BTW, everyone still watching, or even those who only watched until the end of season 3 or 4, lasted way longer than the creator Ryan Murphy did. He's on record saying he got bored before the end of season 2!! ;) Look, if the creator of the show has no interest in sustaining a show, and moves on to a series of pet projects - American Horror Story, The New Normal, The Normal Heart etc - the fact that any of us have hung in longer than that speaks volumes for the fact that those characters, for the most part, kept us invested beyond the crappy service they got from a bunch of writers who had to keep the show going whilst the creator left them behind. I'm still invested - but in just a couple of characters.

I'll watch to the bitter end, cos I have to see it through after sticking with it for 100+ episodes already! Just 13 more and they're done. Ryan Murphy seems to have indicated that he's reinvested himself in the show for it's final season, so let's see how he does with that! I get that some people don't want to - I've done that with many, many shows - but I'm one of the people who thinks this show was important in what it tried to do in those first couple of seasons, and am prepared to give them my attention for one final go around!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Likewise. I did tune in for "The Quarterback" though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I would think that most people found that ridiculously unrealistic, and made even more ridiculous by her also somehow finding time to work as a waitress, and by her then being willing to risk her dream so she could go off to LA for a TV audition.

Good, im not alone
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Perhaps they should have copied Skins and changed the cast after the main characters left school.

There's only so often you can change a cast. By the time of Skins' third cast, the show had gone downhill, partly because no-one cared about the new cast.
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    There's only so often you can change a cast. By the time of Skins' third cast, the show had gone downhill, partly because no-one cared about the new cast.

Yes but the first change worked fine. FNL managed to change the school based cast and have the leavers in as well.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    Don't we all.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should have ended after the first half of season 1, it's been absolute horseshit ever since.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can take all the good episodes from all 5 seasons, put them together and probably have a decent three season run.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    It should have ended after the first half of season 1, it's been absolute horseshit ever since.

Hah! You call it as you see it! :D
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 1 and season 2 up until the Fleetwood Mac episode were brilliant. The Fleetwood Mac episode was the start of Glee's downfall for me, its storyline of Sam being homeless was dreadful. Funeral was also an abysmal episode

Particular lows of season 3 were the domestic violence story involving Beiste and Artie forcing Kurt and Rachel to lose their virginities. They transformed Artie from a cute disabled character into a perv
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first few episodes were good but then just became dire. Should have been a 6 episode event in my opinion