LDR: Ultraviolence

Comments

• DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly just say great to see more people have loved the album too! Great comments!
    Saw her yesterday in Berlin,sexy, friendly and vocally good, all in all perfect but I saw via on-screen her face in close ups and sometimes she had this expression in her face like it was in Dublin, I don't know her, so just my guess without any proof, I thought of melancholia.

Glad it was another great show rbautz. Mmm what you say about her looking pained and melancholic is a little worrying. Did the German fans give her a bit of a birthday cheer? I'm hoping its just that moving her to emotion, rather than anything else that is bothering her. Like the Guardian (grrr!) fuss. She's got her bad@ss New York chick side but I honestly think that is coupled with another side that is one of the most sensitive, emotional and just plain lovely, nice and kind hearted people in the music biz who wears her heart on her sleeve. And I've never seen an artist that clearly loves her fans as much as she does either!

I really don't know why people would want to stick knives in someone like that, but such is the way of the world...

Out of the times I've seen her live I saw something similar in her to what you saw the first time I saw her, which was just after all the fuss over SNL. Her vocals were spot on, but just like what you saw I could see there was this inner pain in her and I suppose I was a little worried about her and not sure how to take that at the time. If nothing else it totally convinced me she was a genuine true artist anyway. Whether that is melancholia, nerves or even this stomach ulcer she's now revealed she has I don't know. On the Paradise tour she looked so relaxed and at ease with herself in comparison, that was so great to see. I tend to think the world is a beautiful place when Lana Del Rey smiles that brilliant smile and looks likes she's enjoying life.

See this is why I never go along with all this she's playing a character. If she is, she is some frickin actress if she can do that 24/7 and should get her mate Harvey Weinstein to sign her up for a acting role immediately. Even the most extreme method actors like Daniel Day Lewis surely can't stay in character for years on end!

Will just add to all that really good interview from NPR radio:
    http://lanadelreyfan.com/lana-del-rey-in-interview-for-npr/

Its interesting how she talks about the lyrics of Ultraviolence really represent something from a relationship she had and its really about breaking yourself down to build yourself up:
    There are so many things, really. I guess one of them is a personal experience I had with a person who believed in breaking you down to build you back up again. And although that mindset didn’t really agree with me, there was something freeing in letting go, for me, [with] this particular sort of guru-esque character. It’s a little bit about being in love with the act of surrendering, about being confused whether that’s a good idea.
  • emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    The musical intro to Cruel World is just about the best intro music I've ever heard on a starting track on an album. It's true what some reviewers have said - that amazing, sprawling monster of a song sets the tone for the rest of the album and what to expect from the next 40-odd minutes. It's a stunning track from a stunning album. I can just imagine the reviews if Lana had basically brought out BTD 2 :o, they would have smashed her to smithereens. Instead the vast majority of the (mainly US) critics have been converted by this album. Very brave move from Lana but I'm reminded of the old saying

Talent does what it can, but genius does what it must...

Cruel World is absolutely amazing, I play it in the car and feel like a badass bitch. I haven't listened to the rest of the album too much yet, but West Coast is great, and I'm getting into it.

I liked Born to Die, but there are always just a few Lana tracks that stand out to me, and Cruel World is up there with Blue Jeans and Video Games for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like that turn of phrase that you "feel like a badass bitch" when you listen to Cruel World emma555!

Well you might have all seen or guessed this was the case but Ultraviolence has made it to No.1 (Yay!) beating Linkin Park (double Yay!) with Born to Die back in at no.25 (treble Yay!).

Congratulations Lana Del Rey and a rather good birthday present to herself. Hope it puts her in good spirits for playing Glastonbury next weekend!
  • XxSassyGirlXxXxSassyGirlXx Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to join the love in! I'm in love with this album :D

I loved both BTD and Paradise. I honestly think Ultra is a masterpiece. Its just so beautiful, achingly beautiful actually. It actually makes me happy that someone is capable of putting out an album like that. She really has created something special here, the arrangement, the production. It feels lush to me.

Some people had been saying its a grower, but for me it was pretty instant. From the opening of Cruel World (such a fab opening track) I was hooked. Its been on constant repeat for me, Brooklyn Baby has to be one of the best things she's ever done. Sad Girl, Pretty When You Cry, Old Money, F***** My way to the Top......the whole album is incredible. Florida Kilos is a brilliant closer, and so is the iTunes track Is this happiness.

I've been listening to this in the car as well, and it really does make you feel some kind of way haha For me, the only thing better would be cruising in California, down PCH with this on the radio (with the wind in my hair and wearing my vintage Jackie O style sunnies) Perfection :cool:
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a stunning album, I can't stop listening to it. Hauntingly beautiful. I love just about everything Lana's released so far, as well as all the unreleased songs that I've listened to on Youtube. Really, why on earth has she never released songs like Backfire, Breaking My Heart, Hollywood's Dead, Break My Fall, Damn You and Kinda Outta Luck?! They're brilliant songs!

My favourite songs on Ultraviolence are definitely the amazing opener Cruel World, Shades Of Cool, Brooklyn Baby, West Coast, Sad Girl and Flipside, but all the others are excellent too.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think that Lana should do a rarities album at some stage? A lot of the very biggest acts like the Stones, the Beatles and Bob Dylan have done this where they basically delve into the vaults and put out some unreleased and lesser known stuff. She's obviously not on their level yet but she clearly has hundreds of tracks that haven't been released. It would be a good way of getting some of her stuff from the early, obscure albums and the various unreleased leaks onto an official record. It's maybe even something for a few years down the line and they could do a series of them. There could easily be four or five CDs.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it’s inevitable some people that loved the first record are gonna be left slightly cold on this one and vice versa- as we’ve seen with Rocketpop saying this is the music he always wanted to hear from Lana. Thumbs up again with the honesty. I suspect no matter how I try and sell B2D to him he ain’t changing his mind and that’s honest and I respect that too!

It's not the I don't like D2B - I just didn't think I lived up to the potential of the songs I'd heard before I purchased the album. The album is decent though and has some great and very good songs....Videogames, Born to Die, Ride, American, Cola, Summertime, Radio, & Dark Paradise (My own personal 'underrated' song from the album).

I see the album has gone to number one - I not sure the last time I brought an album that hit number one in the charts, maybe Final Frontier by Maiden I think that went to the top of the charts? Not sure either Pearl Jam's or The National's albums from last year hit number one? (I don't take much notice of the charts!)

I do agree with you Dragon on a thing you brought up in this thread about buying albums over singles - I never buy/download singles, it's all about the albums for me. With the greatest respect the artists I tend to like put more effect into their albums than a lot of popular pop acts do - singles plus a bunch of fillers is NOT a way to make an album!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop: Tell you when I thought music had gone totally mad. It was when the piracy first took off and people wouldn't bother by the albums or singles anymore, but they would buy friggin ring tones at £1 or £2 a pop. I'd say to friends, so let me get this right. You think its a rip off to buy the whole album even if its in a sale for only £5-£7, but you'll pay £2 for a tiny bit of a song if its got Crazy Frog doing a rendition of it?

I suppose the record biz is very, very lucky thanks to the popularity of iTunes people at least buy singles once more but it would be a great shame if the album is consigned to history due to the pick & mix buying attitude that has come in its place. As you say I think the real deep satisfying to listen to artists worth getting into are always the ones that can hit you with a collection of great songs on an album rather random hit singles every now and again.

What I always say to people is if you like what an artist or band do buy what they do, support them. It might be the difference between them getting to make another record or not. Even for an apparent big star like Lana. Plus you know, you feel nice giving them the "birthday" present so to speak.

And it is kinda fun being able to boast your fave act is at No.1. Most of my mates aren't into Lana at all. They can't believe she's still going and its great fun being able to quote her sales back at them and watch them quite literally weep. Especially as some of them are into Linkin Park... ;-)

Just re: what spaceygal and FMKK are saying about the unreleased tracks: Possible one of the most requested things we all want to see from Lana! Hey it could be more like 19 or 20 CD's given how much stuff out there!

Just finish off saying I like Lana's response to Kurt Cobain's daughter Francis Bean, after Francis was dumbfounded Lana could be glorifying dying young by the misquoted Guardian interview:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a579855/lana-del-rey-reassures-frances-bean-cobain-over-kurt-comment.html#~oI2gdpqw71g0ov

You know I think that might have been part of why Lana reacted so angrily to how the Guardian wrote their story. She seems quite friendly with Courtney Love and I'm guessing she's met Frances too. They'd probably be the last people she'd want to upset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and just add good to see you joining the love in XxSassyGirlXx, great song choices and the scene you describe as the only thing that could be better could be straight from a Lana video itself, brilliant!
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching this thread for a while seeing peoples opinions and wanted to add my own!

I personally see UV as a body of work, it isn't 100% radio friendly, but like Beyoncé's last album, it's more cohesive than her previous work. I think it's really atmospheric and the vocal layering is perfectly pitched and toned. It doesn't ever feel too restrained or OTT, and for me its the perfect album. My faves are Old Money, Brooklyn Baby, Money Power Glory, Cruel World and Black Beauty.

Cruel World is literally my favourite Lana song, it sounds like something I would want in the soundtrack for the movie of my life, and every time I listen to the album I feel like I'm in an old movie. Personally, I feel the next step for Lana might be Americana, but on the next album I would really like more strings, as that was a fave off B2D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I agree 100% that Ultraviolence should be viewed as a body of work, rather than focusing on individual tracks. Whilst Born To Die had more single, standout tracks (i.e.. Video Games, Dark Paradise, Born To Die, Summertime Sadness), this is by far more of a collection and set of songs that need to be enjoyed as a whole.

Whilst I can't see this doing brilliantly single-wise (I think Lana is more of an album artist anyway), my personal favourites are Old Money, ****ed My Way Up To The Top, Ultraviolence, Cruel World and Is This Happiness but truth be told, there isn't one I dislike, as of yet.

What we need now is a Ultraviolence tour. Saw her on the Paradise tour in Birmingham and she's one of the most captivating, down to earth performers I have ever seen. She is simply incredible.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finish off saying I like Lana's response to Kurt Cobain's daughter Francis Bean, after Francis was dumbfounded Lana could be glorifying dying young by the misquoted Guardian interview:.

How do you know she was misquoted by the Guardian interview? The reporter stands by the article and even mentions he went over everything with LDR after the interview ended.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lana and her boyfriend have split up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know she was misquoted by the Guardian interview? The reporter stands by the article and even mentions he went over everything with LDR after the interview ended.

Well its a matter of opinion but listen to the recording of the interview the journalist uploaded in his defense. In Lana's Twitter comeback she says she was asked a series of leading questions (i.e. ones that push the response you want to hear) and sure enough that's exactly what happens if you listen to the thing.

He keeps asking about death over and over again, mentions Kurt and Amy and puts the words in her mouth. Yes she does say the words "I wish I was dead already" but she says so totally flippantly like she's just not even serious. I think the context someone actual says something in makes quite a difference! There's a world of difference between jokingly saying something and meaning it.

This then gets printed in the actual interview as Lana herself just suddenly coming out with this statement out of nowhere with no prompting on his part-see the first line of their article:
    "I wish I was dead already," Lana Del Rey says, catching me off guard.

Catching him off guard? He started the bloody conversation!
    Lana and her boyfriend have split up.

I'm very sad to hear that as they seemed like a really great couple and they seemed very happy together. Poor Lana its been a mixed week for her of great success and lows. I suspect this might have been the real reason she looked pained at times in the concert in Berlin that rbautz mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lana was quoted in saying her boyfriend is going through some problems and decided they needed to split. She wants to be free at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a research of this Barrie split, I believe this is the interview quote:
    Do you personally want to marry at some point?
    I’d love to. And I’d love to have children. Hopefully it’ll work out one day.

At the beginning of the year there were rumours that you and your boyfriend were engaged.
    Currently we aren’t together.

What do you mean by ‘currently’?
    He's a wonderful person but there are several things he has to clear/handle. I don't want to explain it in more detail. That weighed heavily on our relationship, I didn't feel free anymore. Let's see how it'll go on...

Weeell if things weren't actually so good between them after all...

Needless to say in particular her female fans are coming out with suggestion of the usual music/film world hunks she can date instead. Suspect the boys out there are preparing their best chat up lines!
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me who feels like this is the perfect soundtrack, and makes even walking down the stairs seem cinematic?
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its a matter of opinion but listen to the recording of the interview the journalist uploaded in his defense. In Lana's Twitter comeback she says she was asked a series of leading questions (i.e. ones that push the response you want to hear) and sure enough that's exactly what happens if you listen to the thing.

He keeps asking about death over and over again, mentions Kurt and Amy and puts the words in her mouth. Yes she does say the words "I wish I was dead already" but she says so totally flippantly like she's just not even serious. I think the context someone actual says something in makes quite a difference! There's a world of difference between jokingly saying something and meaning it.

This then gets printed in the actual interview as Lana herself just suddenly coming out with this statement out of nowhere with no prompting on his part-see the first line of their article:

Catching him off guard? He started the bloody conversation!.

Well when you put it like that i can see where you're coming from. I haven't heard the audio myself, but knew it had been released. In the end she said said something silly which she never should have said and regrets it, but i hate it when celebs always blame the reporter/interviewer for it. Context is very much the issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me who feels like this is the perfect soundtrack, and makes even walking down the stairs seem cinematic?

Yeah, I get that too. You should see me walking down the hall in slow motion with my headphones on. :p

On the Guardian thing once again, it was clear to me that she was being flippant and perhaps joking. He was going on about dead artists and how they are so revered and so on and she then says that she wishes she was dead already. Seems obvious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, Lana was on Ferne Cotton's Radio One show this morning for an interview. I only caught a bit in the car but I'm sure it'll be on iplayer. They seem tobe ggood friends so it should be good.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    As per usual with this UV campaign a very low key appearance on Ms Cotton's show as she was the 'mystery guest' so no prior warning. She sounded fine and in good spirits and clearly loves Fearne. And with good reason given her championing of VG' in 2011 (apparently Radio was written after Lana first heard VG playing on Fearne's show).

Looking forward to her set at Glastonbury.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer round about 1hour 12mins 50 seconds in:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046ddqv

As always Fearne's her biggest fan! Thanks for mentioning that it was a really good interview. Everything from a bit of old friends getting back together chit chat to more serious bits, about the album and the videos. Like that old fan favourite question of have they asked you to do a Bond song yet and Fearne says Daniel Craig get in touch.

Best of all after a testing time it was good to see her in good spirits ahead of her Glastonbury performance and I liked how she said she'd be sticking around afterwards to watch Robert Plant.

Oh and just mention...I am not going to link this on the basis he's too vomit inducing...the ever creepy and smug actor James Franko seems to be using his instagram page to suggest to Lana he's free. From what I could see of the picture he appears to have drawn her name & pictures of her on his face in Biro or something. Go back to chatting up under age kids over the internet, weirdo. Yeah we know, it was a "mistake," sure that was doubtlessly Gary Glitter and Jimmy Savilles excuse too...:kitty:
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just an update. I wasn't as keen on Ultraviolence when I first listened to it. However, I wasn't keen on Born To Die the first time around and then it grew on me. Now having had Ultraviolence for a week I'm loving it :D The only song I'm not that keen on is The Other Woman. But aside from that I'm loving pretty much every song. At the moment I'm obsessed with Money Power Glory. Also love Black Beauty, Is This Happiness and Flipside. Definitely a grower of an album.

Glad to hear it got UK and US #1 like i had expected :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UV managed 48k for it's opening week sales in the UK
    It also managed 180k in the US, making it the second highest sales from a female of thisnuear

Born to die managed 116k in it's opening UK sales
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COnsidering she had minimal promo (just radio really) for UV....that is a great start (though i would have thought it would be around the 80 mark) but just short of 50 in todays climate is very good going for a debut week these days.

And with Radio 1 and now galsto coming up that will help sustain this majestic album <3

One week on after owning it and gosh how i adore this album....so beyond beautiful <3

And agreed for Lana to do the next James Bond...coincidently it will also be directed by Sam mendes (whom i would adore Lana to work with in a film in future) <3