Dear Jon Ola Sand, what have you done to my beloved contest?!

ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
Right.

Hello all, you'll probably all remember from last year when I joined DS specifically to follow Eurovision. Long time Eurovision fan, first memory Sonia coming 2nd in '93. Best memory Katrina in '97.

Anyway, I remember last year I started a thread about dynamic voting and how it threatened the enjoyment of the voting, suffice to say since it was introduced in '11, I stand by my views. Anyway, since then I've sort of lost interest in Eurovision to be honest, I dip in and out on the odd occasion to follow UK news etc, and seeing as "Eurovision season" is dawning upon us once more I just spent the first hour of my day looking at Eurovision news.

So we've had dynamic voting.... to make the voting "more exciting", please read my previous thread about my feelings on induced excitement and Eurovision. And now I understand we're getting a "dynamic running order", in order to once again make the show "more exciting". Really? The songs will apparently be chosen in an order that songs similar to each other do not clash. And to make for a better spectacle.

Dear EBU,

We are not idiots. Dynamic voting already had me walking away from the contest, I think a "dynamic" and a better presented running order of songs probably means I've just got my coat and left! I mean, how "exciting" can they actually make a Eurovision? The random running order is sacred as far as I'm concerned, how dare they!!! Would Jon Ola Sand prefer that I call an ambulance in advance of the contest? Surely so much excitement, patriotic flag waving and screaming with all said excitement could potentially lead to a stroke... yes, I fear I may be THAT excited!

This contest, ladies and gentlemen, is dead. And unless we suddenly resurrect a Beatle or two, I doubt whether my previous enthusiasm for the contest will ever be what it was in the past. They're messing with things they shouldn't now, it's Eurovision for idiots.

Thank you for reading. Anyone who remembers me from last year, hello again.

Comments

• Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While you're on a roll ollie, what do you think of the "softening" of the September 1st rule with regard to song eligibility?
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While you're on a roll ollie, what do you think of the "softening" of the September 1st rule with regard to song eligibility?

I know nothing of that rule change, sorry. Just that there's no draw for running order this year, which angers me immensely to be honest. I've yet to see what others think obviously, maybe it's just me. I just feel the contest is being manipulated to death now. Enough already!
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a classic case of being careful for what you wish for with MFifying the contest with certain fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I do think they are playing with fire, particularly with producers choosing the running order. We know that some broadcasters and media could start kicking up a fuss if they receive a not-so-good starting number.

I haven't got too much of a problem with the dynamic voting order. It worked really well in 2011 because it was a close year, but it didn't make much of a difference in 2012 because it was a runaway victory for Sweden. Anything to keep the suspense for as long as possible should be considered a good thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Dyanmic voting makes no difference to anything - the votes are already cast, the winner is already decided, who cares what order they get revealed in.

Dynamic running order on the other hand, I agree is a totally unfair and stupid idea - sure there may be lots of studies and arguments that a good song will win from first just as easily as it would getting performed last, but I don't see how the running order can't have at least some effect on voting. Heck, even Christer Björkman seems to think it's important, which is why his favoured artists always magically get the "prized" slots in Melodifestivalen each year. So it really doesn't come as too much of a surprise that now he's got his hands on ESC, he's going to try and fix things for that as well.

We can only hope that the country singing second wins this year, and the EBU see sense next year, when (hopefully) Christer is kept well clear of any important decisions.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ollie1004 wrote: »
    I know nothing of that rule change, sorry. Just that there's no draw for running order this year, which angers me immensely to be honest. I've yet to see what others think obviously, maybe it's just me. I just feel the contest is being manipulated to death now. Enough already!
    You're not alone; the Finnish ESC fans forum even sent a formal letter of complaint to YLE about that (not that YLE decides it, but they are part of EBU obviously, and it was probably in the hope of them forwarding the matter to EBU). And the response was something to the effect of "It's a miracle this change didn't happen earlier"... :rolleyes:

I personally have a kind of "wait and see" attitude about it; obviously it can affect the results, but on the other hand it will make the running order much better and more exciting, for example we won't have 6 ballads in a row, then 6 uptempo songs, and so forth... ;)

globbits wrote: »
    We can only hope that the country singing second wins this year, and the EBU see sense next year, when (hopefully) Christer is kept well clear of any important decisions.
    :D:D
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, and hopefully this will resonate with people, it's on a par with removing the draw for a football world cup, if that makes sense. Just let the organisers decide who will play who for a "better viewing spectacle". It's ludicrous. It's potentially biased, it's open to corruption and I find it totally unfair. But apparently it's fine as long as the none knowing plebs at home are all on the edge of their seats with excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spot the sarcasm. As I say, I've only learnt this this morning, can you tell I'm slightly uneased by it? Haha! Oh well.. it's only Eurovision.

We saw what happened with phone lines being opened from the beginning, they soon scrapped that, so who knows!
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still hoping they change their minds about this decision. It's absolutely awful.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I still can't believe this is going ahead. I wouldn't have too much of a problem though if like the semi's they split the final in to quarters or 5ths and countries were still drawn but into one of the quarters and then the EBU decided the running order then. I bet if there is a runaway favourite then they will be put on early, for this year anyway just to make the contest more exciting. Also I hope who ever decides the final doesn't have access to the semifinal results.
  • danprodanpro Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Newbie to the forum
    Just wanted to say I am gutted about this too.
    Half the fun is analysising the draw.
    The luck of the draw IS the exciting bit. You can't increase excitment by taking that away!