Strangest film ever.

JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
Forum Member
With the future of HMV seemingly in the balance, I got around to thinking about all the DVDs I've bought there over the years.

And remembered buying Koyaanisqatsi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRmrxYvm7iY

Got to be the strangest and most "off the wall" film I own (by the way, does anyone really understand it??!)

But are there any odder films out there you know about?

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skoonheid aka Beauty....

South African film about a married closeted gay man who becomes dangerously obsessed with an attractive young man. A good film but very very strange.
  • Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Koyaanisqatsi is very good with a great music score too, its not difficult to understand once you know what Koyaanisqatsi means and that's spelled out to you in the film.

Eraserhead is the strangest film I've ever seen, a bit pretentious too IMHO, have no desire to see it ever again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Berberian Sound Studio" !!

I know I've sounded off about this film on other threads, but this pretentious piece of c**p still gets up my nose!
    And I'm a fan of Italian Horror movies, which is the subject matter.
    Trouble is, it's just a representation of one man's descent into apparent madness, so there's no ending and no point!
    I defy anyone to tell me what the final scene means!

The Critics all raved over it though ....:mad:
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skinned deep about a murderer with a bear trap for a jaw called the surgeon general and guy called brain with a gigantic head and warwick davis is a plate throwing dwarf.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304722/
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Tetsuo the Iron Man
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead is the strangest film I've ever seen, a bit pretentious too IMHO, have no desire to see it ever again.

I don't think Eraserhead is the strangest Lynch film even, Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me is arguably more surreal. And Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives is more odd than any Lynch.
  • Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    I don't think Eraserhead is the strangest Lynch film even, Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me is arguably more surreal. And Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives is more odd than any Lynch.

Not seen those so I cant comment, in general I don't like Lynch's style, though Blue Velvet was pretty good.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen those so I cant comment, in general I don't like Lynch's style, though Blue Velvet was pretty good.

Twin Peaks FWWM has this scene: I was worried about today because of the dream I told you about

And that's the only scene Bowie is in, and there is no further explanation for his character. I love that movie. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Herostratus (1967). Surreal, sometimes grotesque (keyword-abbatoir) and very odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Wulfster wrote: »
    "Berberian Sound Studio" !!

I know I've sounded off about this film on other threads, but this pretentious piece of c**p still gets up my nose!
    And I'm a fan of Italian Horror movies, which is the subject matter.
    Trouble is, it's just a representation of one man's descent into apparent madness, so there's no ending and no point!
    I defy anyone to tell me what the final scene means!

The Critics all raved over it though ....:mad:
    I was looking forward to this one, but after watching it I can honestly say I have no idea what happened :D It was probably better to watch in a cinema than at home though. The darkness of the cinema would have added to the atmosphere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this one, but after watching it I can honestly say I have no idea what happened :DIt was probably better to watch in a cinema than at home though. The darkness of the cinema would have added to the atmosphere.

I did unfortunately (at a Film Festival), and it really didn't improve it! In fact there was a LOT of shuffling and tutting going on when the "Nature documentary" interrupts the film...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Wulfster wrote: »
    I did unfortunately (at a Film Festival), and it really didn't improve it! In fact there was a LOT of shuffling and tutting going on when the "Nature documentary" interrupts the film...
    Yeah, thinking about that I probably would have been whispering things like wtf is going on??? throughout :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. That Mickey Mouse film with pink elephants.

2. Hausu (a satire, granted, but still crazy)

3. Cujo (a St. Bernard dog as a rabies-infected vicious killer? lol)

4. a Malaysian, Singaporean or Thai film with a talking head that floats across a city on a killing spree while it talks about philosophy, death, life and love (it kills by biting or chewing on a victim's head)
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zed And Two Noughts. Great music though, from Michael Nyman.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Boy A his Dog was strange and I could not get into it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Holy Motors is pretty blooming weird the first time round. Really had problems getting into it. That said, after having done some research on it I'm not curious enough to see it again.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is unique,but most would call Richard Linklater's film Slacker strange because there is no plot whatsoever.It starts with one scene,then when the characters have done their thing,the focus shifts to another character,someone who had just been passing by for instance,and who has a totally unrelated storyline.Then the story follows them whilst the previous one just disappears.There are about twenty or so of these mini scenes,all totally unconnected,but there are some absolutely hilarious,disturbing,weird,random,and even thought provoking acts throughout the film.

If you like Clerks,you would love this as well.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zardoz is a weird one for a mainstream movie.

Sean Connery in an orange nappy and a giant stone head that shouts "The penis is evil." are a couple of the highlights!
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found look whos talking strange. It creeped me out seeing talking babies.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    200 Motels.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    The Tin Drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ewzWkFZOFk

Excellent film, even better book.
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    I would Possession with Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani would be right up there, very odd film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082933/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    The Puma Man - STARRING Donald Pleasance still only available on VHS An absolute oddity from start to finish very funny though especially the way they pronounce 'Poooma Man'
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Happiness Of The Katakuris.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Society - Love this film but the 'shunt' scene at the end is beyond weird!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcfav-5kArM