Celebrity Privacy

Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay hello everybody.

My question to you today is should celebrities be granted some level of privacy? This very website, it could be argued, infringes upon the privacy of certain individuals. Through reporting on affairs and things like that it can get ugly!

What do you all think? Should we leave celebrities alone when they want to be left alone? I know somebody who gets recognized even when in their hometown and they're just cruising around on their motorcycle.

I think our culture wants celebrities to have no lives away from the cameras.

Comments

• stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    My question to you today

You do know there doesn't always have to be one, right?
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    You do know there doesn't always have to be one, right?

I know but I'm interested in how everybody is and like to catch up. I am very interested in Celebrity Privacy as well.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you thinking of any celebrities in particular? Perhaps friends of yours?
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Cher's views on the matter are? ;)
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know but I'm interested in how everybody is and like to catch up. I am very interested in Celebrity Privacy as well.

This should be in Showbiz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are Cher's views on the matter everybody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7c-Nsn2cJ8

What do you all think? Do we agree with her?
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Cher's views in the matter are? ;)

Her PA can Tweet them, later.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats why I wouldn't want to be a celebrity - I don't think I could deal with the loss of privacy. I think they should be entitled to some level of privacy, yes. Out of interest, is privacy to a certain extent covered by human rights legislation? im not sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it your ambition to be a celeb stalker OP?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be in Showbiz
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should have the same right of privacy as anyone else, how much of it they give up should completely be at their own discretion and stuff like affairs or anything along those lines are none of our business, we don't have god given right to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should have the same right of privacy as anyone else, how much of it they give up should completely be at their own discretion and stuff like affairs or anything along those lines are none of our business, we don't have god given right to know.

Yeah I agree. They should be allowed a life away from the paparazzi. When doing private things, like going to the doctors, it is hugely inappropriate for them to be harassed.

Cher screams "I'm sick!" as she leaves the doctors, but the paparazzi don't back off... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=OWSsCEKf7CA&NR=1
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Thats why I wouldn't want to be a celebrity - I don't think I could deal with the loss of privacy. I think they should be entitled to some level of privacy, yes. Out of interest, is privacy to a certain extent covered by human rights legislation? im not sure.

There's some clause in there about the right to a family life, or something cos criminals are always using it to justify this and that.

Celebrity seems to be the ultimate prize in this culture - and yet it also seems to be not worth the having. There's a lot to be said for going about your everyday business in peace and quiet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Could be in Showbiz
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    There's some clause in there about the right to a family life, or something cos criminals are always using it to justify this and that.

Celebrity seems to be the ultimate prize in this culture - and yet it also seems to be not worth the having. There's a lot to be said for going about your everyday business in peace and quiet.

Agreed. Being a celebrity is probably nice when the times are good but when they hit bad times and public opinion on them changes? I wouldn't envy being them.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm I say no. If they are actively promoting movies etc then no
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends. I don't think we need to see every aspect of Nigella's unravelling relationship, to be honest....
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Celebs thrive on publicity, become a celeb and your life will never be your own again, the paps will follow you around and even photograph you if you flash a glimpse of your bits.

How many wannabe celebs understood this before they put themselves in the public eye? Not many I would think, most of us have more sense.

If you want privacy then live a private life, don't put yourself forward to appear on reality programmes, televised talent shows or suchlike because if you do, you forego your privacy and you do so voluntarily. Any negative repercussions are your own fault.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just you really have to stop stalking Cher & Madonna, now go upstairs let them out the attic so they can continue to be celebrities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can define celebrity I may be able to give you an answer. The term is used so loosely these days that I have no idea who you are talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Celebs thrive on publicity, become a celeb and your life will never be your own again, the paps will follow you around and even photograph you if you flash a glimpse of your bits.

How many wannabe celebs understood this before they put themselves in the public eye? Not many I would think, most of us have more sense.

If you want privacy then live a private life, don't put yourself forward to appear on reality programmes, televised talent shows or suchlike because if you do, you forego your privacy and you do so voluntarily. Any negative repercussions are your own fault.
    What about actors, sports players etc...not every celebrity wants to be one, you say it like fame itself is the goal when it's often an unwanted side effect.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ummm... if you are talking about current news events, then if it's in the news then it is open for discussion of course. Sometimes I think things shouldn't be news though. The press have very blurred lines on privacy, no sorry, they have very few lines; if any.

If we are talking about celebrities private lives, paps camping outside celebs homes when the celeb doesn't want them there, gossip and tattle, invasiveness etc.

Then of course that is wrong. celebs are allowed their privacy in that sense (or should be). I am very much of the persuasion of "following their output" rather than "following their intimate lives".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was this moved? It's not about gossip and bitching, it was absolutely a general discussion topic.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay hello everybody.

My question to you today is should celebrities be granted some level of privacy? This very website, it could be argued, infringes upon the privacy of certain individuals. Through reporting on affairs and things like that it can get ugly!

What do you all think? Should we leave celebrities alone when they want to be left alone? I know somebody who gets recognized even when in their hometown and they're just cruising around on their motorcycle.

I think our culture wants celebrities to have no lives away from the cameras.

Depends entirely on the celebrity.

There are plenty of talented celebs who manage to have a private life and a successful career - Cate Blanchett, Johnny Depp are just 2 examples.

Then you have the Z listers who rely SOLELY on media attention to make money in the absence if any talent - Katie Price. She would shrivel up without media attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends entirely on the celebrity.

There are plenty of talented celebs who manage to have a private life and a successful career - Cate Blanchett, Johnny Depp are just 2 examples.

Then you have the Z listers who rely SOLELY on media attention to make money in the absence if any talent - Katie Price. She would shrivel up without media attention.

I agree, there is a difference. However it is unfortunate that the mass media don't seem to acknowledge this difference.