Fashion & Beauty Tips for Transgender & Transexual people

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi :)

There isn't really a thread like this on this forum, and I think it would be really useful, including for me! I only recent came out as transgender and whilst I have some knowledge about the whole MTF world, the one thing I am still struggling with is still things like hair, beauty and fashion etc.

I have lipstick, mascara and eyeshadow for now - but stuff like make-up and things like that, I am completely clueless and am not really sure where to start. Please don't advise me to experiment as, whilst I'm sure you mean well :D I'm unemployed; I simply can't afford to experiment.

Anyway, any help and support would be greatly appreciated, and if it helps others too, then all the better. :) x

Comments

• HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youtube is your best place to learn and get ideas, I learnt a lot from there a few to look up

Pixiwoo
    Tanya Burr
    Lisa Eldridge
    RPierce Makeup

or put in make up tutorial or hair tutorials.

for clothes I would but in clothes haul and see what people are buying and in style.

for budget friendly make up brands that are good quality imo.

Rimmel
    MUA
    Make Up Revloution
    Natural Collection
    Essence
    Sleek
    Gosh
    ELF

a bit more expense but good all the same.

Revlon
    Maybelline
    Max Factor
    Loreal

Rimmel is good all rounder for foundation, lipsticks and blush, MUA and Make Up Revloution are great for eyeshadow palettes, blushes, lipsticks etc have some great dupes for more higher end brands, imo the best drugstore/highstreet mascaras are Maybelline, Essence in Wilko is fab as well, really inexpensive but good quality.

Make Up Brushes I would go for Real Techniques hands down.

Clothes tbh I think is down to personal choice on what shape you are and what feel comfortable in.

Primark
    New Look
    H&M
    are my favourites there not super expensive, H&M is really good for basics and prices are pretty close to primark but I think they're better quality.

Anyway hope that helps you in some way.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try ELF's colour corrector for dark circles and shadow rather than thick concealer, it wont look as made up. And groom those eyebrows!!!:D

Moisturise and cleanse well to keep skin in tip top condition. I've been raving about Superdrugs natural radiance range on another thread. It's half price just now and good value.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Try ELF's colour corrector for dark circles and shadow rather than thick concealer, it wont look as made up. And groom those eyebrows!!!:D

Moisturise and cleanse well to keep skin in tip top condition. I've been raving about Superdrugs natural radiance range on another thread. It's half price just now and good value.

Wow! Thanks. :)
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll have to pay attention to this thread....

I do wonder how many of us girls there on this site, though....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll have to pay attention to this thread....

I do wonder how many of us girls there on this site, though....

One more since I boarded the fanny ferry! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    One more since I boarded the fanny ferry! ;-)

Good for you. Hopfully I'll get my ticket before I'm dead.....
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superdrug do a really cheap vitamin e skin care range, really good. Their skin oil is the BEST and really cheap. A little goes a long, long way.

best advice is cleanse, tone and moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. :) will make it easier to shave as well and foundation will sit better on your skin.

never put foundation on without putting on moisturiser first :)

Also get a decent pair of tweezers, they will become your best friend! :)

if you are brave then go to superdrug or wilko and try their foundation testers to find one you like and is the right shade to use (if you can't use your face, use the inside area of your wrist). If in doubt, go a shade paler as a bit paler is better than looking too orange.

Mix a little moisturiser with a bit of foundation and build up your colour that way so it doesn't go all cakey on you (been there, looking like a cracked face doll and I'm a girlie!)

Also,,, do your make up in full natural light if you can, makes so much difference as you will see exactly what you will look like in daylight :)

And... AVOID anything really shimmery on your eyes and lips at the moment. Go for matt natural colours to practice on so you get used to your eye contours and face... also matt is back and very hip this season. I don't use blusher myself as I have rosy cheeks. It might be easier for you to use a liquid blush that you can use on your lips as well as your cheeks (2 uses of one price!) Some of the brands in superdrug do them.

(I keep mentioning superdrug but have always found them best for cheap make up ranges and beauty products!!).

oh.. and get a make up pencil sharpener! makes things much easier especially if you are practising lots as will help you keep sharp lines on you eyes/ lips etc.

As for clothes I second Primark. Practise on cheap clothes first until you find your own style and feel comfy in them.

And again second youtube... they do some brilliant channels on make up and clothes so you don't end up making expensive mistakes.

And don't beat yourself up. I'm still making make up and clothes mistakes and I've been wearing make up for donkeys years! :)

DO you mind if I ask how old you are and is your skin dry/ oily/ combo?? These can make a difference to what products to use. Google is your best friend to find out what products/ brands to avoid.

For clothes... anyone a similar size you can try on things? Might be an idea to start off with some nice jeans that fit you correctly and then concentrate on tops and accessories like cheap bracelets, pretty belts to jazz up outfits... start off simple until you find what you like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For cheap clothes. I've been recommended the everything's £5 pound site. I had a dress from them this week. I love my new dress.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also... I've not had the guts to get any myself (since I work there), but poundstrechers is selling cheap bb cream for a quid,

Which, I'm told, is a very good concealer/ foundation....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much everyone :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's okay. I hoping others out there are going too add to this thread, myself.

Apparently, some lass over on another thread told me she like to buy cheap sample bottles of big name perfume on ebay.

I don't know if that any help....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's okay. I hoping others out there are going too add to this thread, myself.

Apparently, some lass over on another thread told me she like to buy cheap sample bottles of big name perfume on ebay.

I don't know if that any help....

Yeah definitely, that's actually a really good idea, thanks. :)
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there! :) Great advice on foundations and moisturisers. For a softer look that suits both pale to olive natural colouring and complexions - I'd tend to stay clear of the more blue based pink shades for blusher and lipstick which can make you and your lips look purple and positively freezing! lol Try the warmer apricot/peach shades and a creamy blusher would be more flattering as powder might clog up the pores.

For eyeshadow, soft creams, light browns, and warm shades rather than harsher blues and greens suit blue, brown or hazel eyes. You can be more adventurous for glam nights out and have some fun trying out the huge range of gorgeous more pearlised and high shine shadows, soft bronzes, browns and golds especially look good . Also with eyeliner and mascara - "brown back" is still striking but maybe less harsh than black, in my humble opinion of course! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Nesta, thanks so much! Great advice. :)
  • tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Invest in a good set of eyebrows. I know you're skint but try and get them waxed professionally. It'll be about £8-10 but it will be so worth it. After you've had them done once and got a good shape you can try and keep up with them yourself using tweezers. Eyebrows make or break a face - and a good shape will make your eye make up look miles better.

And don't worry about going into a salon to have it done - they've seen it all and won't bat an eyelid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigerowl wrote: »
    Invest in a good set of eyebrows. I know you're skint but try and get them waxed professionally. It'll be about £8-10 but it will be so worth it. After you've had them done once and got a good shape you can try and keep up with them yourself using tweezers. Eyebrows make or break a face - and a good shape will make your eye make up look miles better.

And don't worry about going into a salon to have it done - they've seen it all and won't bat an eyelid.

I did actually get my eyebrows done a few months ago. :) Believe it or not, her advice was not to mess with them too much, which was disappointing as I hate my bushy, grey eyebrows. :(
  • lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another transgender person here :)

In fact I've come out to friends super recently. As recently as this past weekend to two of my best male friends (only came out to females before, somehow it seemed easier than to guys, especially quite manly lad type guys but I was so wrong, they were great about it :) )

For foundation I caught myself in a really brave moment and walked up to a number 7 counter in boots and asked to be colour matched. Honestly I was so nervous and must have walked past that counter 20 times over 2 trips into town, each time looking at the foundations and hoping someone would ask if they could help. Eventually someone did and despite being super nervous I blurted out I'd like to be colour matched and next thing I know I'm sat in the chair while she's finding out my match (warm beige :) ) and then trying out all the different types on my face. I have to say the lady was super nice and completely non judgemental. I didn't because I was really nervous but I think if I ever went back I would straight up tell her I was transgender so that she could perhaps recommend ones with better coverage, as I think she just thought I was "metrosexual".

Anyway I purchased a lovely foundation and concealer, and she gave me a free gift as I had purchased 2 number 7 products which had a great mascara in it, an eyeliner and eyeshadow. I don't really use the eyeshadow but the liner is nice occasionally and the mascara was so good it's pretty much replaced the one I used before.

Trust me, it is really daunting but if you go up to one of these counters, perhaps at a quiet time and just ask. Remember these people want to sell products and don't really care who too, and most won't judge you at all :)

I also go to a salon to get pedicures. Started off with the "male pedicure" but as I grew in confidence I just straight up asked for varnish and they barely batted an eyelid. I guess the trick is find somewhere that advertises male grooming of some sort and kind if scope out whether you think they will be fine or not. Any salon that isn't comfortable treating males/trans people the same as women for most treatments really shouldn't be open :)

Glad this thread exists. I'll be paying close attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lionsof66 wrote: »
    Another transgender person here :)

In fact I've come out to friends super recently. As recently as this past weekend to two of my best male friends (only came out to females before, somehow it seemed easier than to guys, especially quite manly lad type guys but I was so wrong, they were great about it :) )

For foundation I caught myself in a really brave moment and walked up to a number 7 counter in boots and asked to be colour matched. Honestly I was so nervous and must have walked past that counter 20 times over 2 trips into town, each time looking at the foundations and hoping someone would ask if they could help. Eventually someone did and despite being super nervous I blurted out I'd like to be colour matched and next thing I know I'm sat in the chair while she's finding out my match (warm beige :) ) and then trying out all the different types on my face. I have to say the lady was super nice and completely non judgemental. I didn't because I was really nervous but I think if I ever went back I would straight up tell her I was transgender so that she could perhaps recommend ones with better coverage, as I think she just thought I was "metrosexual".

Anyway I purchased a lovely foundation and concealer, and she gave me a free gift as I had purchased 2 number 7 products which had a great mascara in it, an eyeliner and eyeshadow. I don't really use the eyeshadow but the liner is nice occasionally and the mascara was so good it's pretty much replaced the one I used before.

Trust me, it is really daunting but if you go up to one of these counters, perhaps at a quiet time and just ask. Remember these people want to sell products and don't really care who too, and most won't judge you at all :)

I also go to a salon to get pedicures. Started off with the "male pedicure" but as I grew in confidence I just straight up asked for varnish and they barely batted an eyelid. I guess the trick is find somewhere that advertises male grooming of some sort and kind if scope out whether you think they will be fine or not. Any salon that isn't comfortable treating males/trans people the same as women for most treatments really shouldn't be open :)

Glad this thread exists. I'll be paying close attention.

What a lovely post! :) x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to be colour matched. That it brave. I don't think I could do that....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you know what? That's exactly why you should, in my opinion. :) I have found that if you take these little steps, eventually they become big steps, it all gets less scary and you get more courageous. You've got nothing to lose but fear. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As Citadel said, it really is all about the small steps.

It's not so long ago that I was terrified going to buy a nail varnish in tesco, even though i could use the self-service tills. I've learned that if you don't draw attention to yourself, who's really going to notice you browsing makeup or whatever? Think about it, do you walk about the shops paying attention to what everyone else is looking at?

Go into boots that has a number 7 counter (or indeed any other counter, but obviously I don't know so much how they work with getting the right shade and stuff). Wonder about, look around, it doesn't matter what at (look at the mens section if you must to feel better), but keep an eye on the counter, and pick your moment when it's not busy or you see a couple of staff not attending to other customers, then walk up to the foundation colour match display and just have a look.

I must have done this 5 or 6 times and chickened out, but i kept making myself go back. Eventually someone will ask you if you need help... even at this stage you CAN back out and politely decline, but what you've got to remember is, this person has just asked if you want help! If they didn't want to help you buy something, they wouldn't have approached you. No one is going to ask if they can help you, and then treat you like a weirdo when you tell them they can.

Believe me, I was so nervous, and when she told me to take a seat (you know the ones I mean, the one's that we walk past at makeup counters seeing women being made up, and wish we could have a go ;) ) I felt really panicky, but then I just thought "well im here now, ive done the hard part and asked this nice lady to help me, and if I chicken out now, I'll never come back"... so I took a seat, and finally I got to be that lady I always saw sat in that chair and was jealous of. It would be hard for most to understand, but it was a total rush, and having sat there with the lady applying them to my face, stood at the till and paid, and then leaving, I felt so good, and so proud of myself. :)

She even offered to apply my chosen foundation and concealer all over. Regretfully, I had work shortly after and was paranoid that if the colour was wrong, I'd go to work and everyone would know, but when I run out i'll be going back again, this time when I don't have work right after :)

Just pop into boots, and see what happens ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been in B&M. Some of their make-up gift sets have been reduced.

Bought myself six lip sticks for £1.99....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone recommend some good false eyelashes that still look fairly natural and not over the top? I wear black mascara, even in boy mode anyway, so thicker and darker is fine, but I really struggle to find any that aren't massively over the top and obviously fake.

And while I'm here, I'm looking for women's clothes that are really subtle, the kind that people would even have to double-take to decide what gender the clothing was supposed to be.

Now that I'm out to a few close friends, I'd like to transition a bit more, gradually wearing more feminine items, but without being over the top. Whilst I'd love to just hang out with them in heels, dress, acrylic nails, full makeup and wig, I don't want to freak them out, scare them off, or embarrass them, so any recomendations for subtle changes would be great. Thanks :)
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading this thread with interest. Middle aged woman not transgender just interested in the steps you are taking.

I know it is not the same, but a lot of women are also intimidated by going to make up counters, particularly the department store ones. I go to Selfridges etc and I find some of them plain rude, particularly the male French ones. It has been said before, they are there to sell, they basically will not care if you are male or female, they will want you to buy. If you can afford it Mac, Bobbi Brown or Space NK give good service. The first two are particularly good for bases, and Bobbi Brown will give you a full tutorial (whether you want one or not!) remember, you are the customer, they are product floggers, if they are judgemental, don't let it put you off.

When I was 14 I had a job after school in Boots. We got lots of transgender people in there, asking for make up advice. That was a long time ago, when being transgender was never really discussed, and without fail they were all treated with respect and courtesy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't help when I know one of the lasses who works in boots. She's the daughter of an old family friend. I never liked any of the girls in that family. All bitches.....