Popping and clicking problem on BBC Local Radio Listen Again

MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,854
Forum Member
The BBC has posted this on IPlayer help, spotted yesterday by a poster on another forum:

"We are aware of some reports from users experiencing audio issues when streaming local radio stations. These have been described as ‘Popping' or ‘Clicking' sounds.

This is currently under investigation and we apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused."

It's been apparent from at least early December. There's a report issue button on the Iplayer now which takes seconds to use, I've just reported yet again problems with the last hour of the Keith Skues show I'm listening to.

Some presenters have also contacted the engineers about this. Apparently they did think they had identified the cause at one point.

I'm now getting these noises every few seconds, it is getting to the point where music programmes are becoming unlistenable.

I'm glad there is now a message on Iplayer help on this, there must have been some change as to the way Listen Again is configured for local radio stations for this to be occurring.

Comments

• phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed this as well, I thought there was a problem with the sound on my computer at first. The BBC should have sorted this problem out by now.
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed thjs since December too. One suggestion I've read is that it may be due to the a change in the encoding from constant bitrate to variable that happened last month. I'm no expert so don't know if that may have anytrhing to do with it. The clicks are very annoying though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed this as well, I thought there was a problem with the sound on my computer at first

Likewise.I thought it was my net connection.Have had the problem now with "noise" on the stream for at least 3 weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    There is a problem with the encoding equipment from what I've heard from a mate who works on the system.

And the new radioplayer isn't run by the BBC so it's not them who fixes the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    There is a problem with the encoding equipment from what I've heard from a mate who works on the system.

And the new radioplayer isn't run by the BBC so it's not them who fixes the problem.

if this happened at a CR station they'd be ridiculed!
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    Yes I have noticed this very annoying
  • James VertiganJames Vertigan Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    The BBC has posted this on IPlayer help, spotted yesterday by a poster on another forum:

"We are aware of some reports from users experiencing audio issues when streaming local radio stations. These have been described as ‘Popping' or ‘Clicking' sounds.

This is currently under investigation and we apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused."

It's been apparent from at least early December. There's a report issue button on the Iplayer now which takes seconds to use, I've just reported yet again problems with the last hour of the Keith Skues show I'm listening to.

Some presenters have also contacted the engineers about this. Apparently they did think they had identified the cause at one point.

I'm now getting these noises every few seconds, it is getting to the point where music programmes are becoming unlistenable.

I'm glad there is now a message on Iplayer help on this, there must have been some change as to the way Listen Again is configured for local radio stations for this to be occurring.

Funny that message should have gone up on Monday as I emailed the BBC IPlayer technical/support team about it a couple of days before and got a reply on Monday this week :)

It has indeed been happening for a while and gets very distracting. I know Radio Devon have been aware of the problem since before Christmas but I hadn't noticed any other BBC local stations acknowledging it. I hope they get it fixed soon...
  • countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had exactly the same problem when listening live on my laptop to BBC Radio Gloucestershire. I messaged the on-air presenter, and he came back to me immediately to acknowledge it was a wider fault that the BBC were working on. That was a week or so ago.....it's still there.
  • BreizhBreizh Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Started just before Christmas on BBC Radio Cornwall. Thought for the first hour it was someone tapping their pen against the table or breaking pencils in despair.:)

Surprised it has taken them so long to notice it as on Internet Radio it is very annoying.
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its happening on the live stream for BBc Northampton too.
  • soulboy22soulboy22 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I Also have noticed this problem it solent listen again. I wonder if it will get fixed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have a pure evoke flow and bbc streams have this problem,
    but my son has a roberts internet radio and it is not affected?
    Also my computer is affected and yes it has been since December
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    It is problem on the encoding machine at BBC Maidenhead.

The BBC's technology supplier (ATOS ...) have tried to fix it several times ... without success.

The decision to replace the offending piece of kit has been taken but as of Friday just gone I've not seen a replacement date.

The streaming remains in the hands of the BBC .. even if these days one way you can hear it online is via RadioPlayer. So no finger pointing at that small team ..

Pop pop
  • carrier_wavecarrier_wave Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    This problem has existed since Nov 2011 - it has made listening to BBC Local stations difficult if not impossible - music programmes seem to suffer most from this.

The thing I find odd about this problem is that it seems to affect all BBC locals except one - BBC London! Perhaps this station shares the same hardware as the BBC nationals which are also unaffected.
  • James VertiganJames Vertigan Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be that London's stream is routed differently ie through Broadcasting House rather than BBC Maidenhead like all the others. Think that may also explain why London is the only local BBC (AFAIK) that doesn't have it's stream blocked at 3pm on Saturdays or at other times when airing football.
    Forum Member
    It could be that London's stream is routed differently ie through Broadcasting House rather than BBC Maidenhead like all the others. Think that may also explain why London is the only local BBC (AFAIK) that doesn't have it's stream blocked at 3pm on Saturdays or at other times when airing football.

You could well be right James
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    I too have heard this - it sometimes sounds like a mike being knocked, it's that loud!

James, I think you are right about BBC London. I had a listen through headphones last night and the audio is much cleaner-sounding than the other BBC locals, which have an irritating warbling that sounds like compression artefacts.

In fact, the BBC regionals like Cymru, Scotland, Ulster etc also sound less clean and natural than the BBC nationals. Again, I can hear what sounds like compression artefacts, and it reminds me of listening to DAB. Are these routed through a different encoder?

It would be nice to have all the BBC regionals and locals in the same quality as the nationals.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Mike for the posting, like others I thought it was my computer. Have given up listening to the i-player as the noise was getting on my nerves. :mad:
    Look forward to the day when it's fixed and listening can become a pleasure again. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard this for the first time yesterday whilst listening to Toby Foster on Radio Sheffield.

Most distracting!
    Forum Member
    Well, it's been over two months since this first started to appear on BBC local stations (live & listen again) - the BBC might as well not bother making these streams available until it is fixed, as the music programmes are almost impossible to listen to.
    Come on BBC - how much longer do you think we should suffer this?
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like someone banging a tin it is really bad.
    Forum Member
    This was posted on http://www.facebook.com/GeoffBarkersRocknRollParty:
    Update on the on-line/listen again `clicks`:
    The fault is affecting about half the local stations in the country and it`s been tracked down to a piece of kit (in London) that does the regional prog switching for on-line listening. Basically, it`s broken and cannot be repaired, so a new box of tricks has to be ordered from the manufacturer......in Japan. This will obviously take a few weeks to arrive, be tested and then it sorted. Sorry guys, but that`s the problem with new-techno gizmo`s..they sometimes pack up. Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, its on all the stations in our region, so you can`t log in somewhere else. Apols, but thank you for hanging on in there.

Would it take so long to fix if it was a fault with the hardware which delivers the National stations (& BBC London) I wonder?
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    At least a fix its on its way, light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was posted on http://www.facebook.com/GeoffBarkersRocknRollParty:
    Update on the on-line/listen again `clicks`:
    The fault is affecting about half the local stations in the country and it`s been tracked down to a piece of kit (in London) that does the regional prog switching for on-line listening. Basically, it`s broken and cannot be repaired, so a new box of tricks has to be ordered from the manufacturer......in Japan. This will obviously take a few weeks to arrive, be tested and then it sorted. Sorry guys, but that`s the problem with new-techno gizmo`s..they sometimes pack up. Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, its on all the stations in our region, so you can`t log in somewhere else. Apols, but thank you for hanging on in there.

Thanks for posting, can't wait till it's fixed. Keep us informed. :D
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Facebook post is about the nuts'n'bolts of it.

Apparently it's still a number of weeks away, though :(