Your top 5 Matt Smith moments?

BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
Forum Member
In honour of Smith filming his final scene, I thought it might be fun if we all listed our five favourite scenes from Eleven.

I've just done mine on my blog ( http://blog-geekinout.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/matt-smith-is-officially-done-filming.html ) but there's a few Chrimbo special spoilers in there, so if anyone doesn't want to click, here's the list:

5: Showing Kazran "Christmas future"
4: The stag party entrance
3: The whole oval office scene (I just love his "go on" gesture when everyone turns to look at him
2: The Akhaten speech
1: The pandorica speech.

Comments

• Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 His speach to"Angel Bob" "There is one thing you never put in a trap ...me" at the end of TOTA before doing something "stupid and dangerous" shooting the gravity globe
    4 Speach to little Amelia before the cracks close in BB
    3 Calling River Song "wife" for the first time and asking her to "kill" him in TWORS
    2 Fish Fingers and Custard comedy classic "are you trying to poison me ?" TEH
    1 Running the gauntlet of despair , guilt and anger before realising Amy and Rorys little girl Melody grows up to be "his" River Song "But that means ..." "I'm afraid it does.." AGMGTW

Thanks Matt you were a great doctor :):D:p
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    In no particular order:
    • 'Air kissing' in The Lodger
    • 'Hello Dear' to Churchill (at the end of The Beast Below)
    • His reaction to hearing the Brigadier had died in The Wedding of River Song
    • 'Come along Smith' in The Death of the Doctor (The Sarah Jane Adventures)
    • Good bye to River Song in The Name of the Doctor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Akhaten speech
    2. Eleventh Hour - I am the Doctor, basicly run
    3. Bells of St John - when Doctor asked Clara to come in TARDIS
    4. Bells of St John - 'You have people but me, I am old-fashioned, I have technology'
    5. Pandorica speech

honorable mentions:
    -talk with angel Bob
    -end of Big Bang - egyptian godess lost on the Orient Express in space
    -'what do you have for me?' after something knocked on the door of the TARDIS in Doctor's Wife
    -'what do you have for me this time?' in Eleventh Hour
    -beginning of Eleventh Hour
    -last scene of Wedding of River Song
    -Bells of St John - Doctor on Clara's door and intercom
    -The End of the Time - after regeneration
    -'She can't be. She is. She is not possible'
    -last scene of The Doctor, The Window and The Wardrobe
    -first scene of The Snowmen
    -last scene of Flesh and Stone (with Amy)
    -'I am the Doctor and you are Daleks'
    -The Lodger - 'I love you', 'That's good because I'm your new lodger'

So many memorable scenes in only 3 seasons. Great Doctor!
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, it seems impossible to narrow it down to just five! These are in no particular order.

1. Rings of Akhaten Speech - This moment was probably Matt's finest hour as we felt the fury of the Timelord but also his compassion all thrown into one great big ball. And let's be honest, he's as much talking to himself here as he is the giant Sun.

2. Hello Stonehenge - I know it seems like I'm going for obvious ones. But when he just yells: "I AM TALKING!" it just sums up everything that makes Matt amazing, the epicness of the Doctor. And I love the ending: That'll keep them squabbling for half an hour.

3. Goodbye Raggedy Man - This scene is stunning because it has me sobbing like a little girl. And all the times I heard their departure would be heart-breaking, I thought it would be horrific for Amy and Rory, but really they got a happy ending. But for the Doctor, it was his heart breaking. And Matt's anger, frustration and helplessness in this scene make it so heartbreaking as the man who has an answer for everything can't stop his best friend leaving him.

4. You're Always Here To Me - I rewatched this scene today and it's so touching. When he says he can't say goodbye to River because he knew it would hurt him too much, it just shows how attached they were and how even the Doctor can be selfish to protect himself from being hurt. Matt Smith and Alex Kingston at their best.

5. And A Kick Up The Backside For The Silence - I could pick the entirety of this two-parter as the dialogue fizzles and Matt is at his best with Alex Kingston offering ample backup. But the scene where he defeats the Silence sums up everything good about Series 6 in a nutshell. The flirting, the arrogance, the lack of mercy, and to be honest, a good ending. Too many episodes in Matt's tenure have been let down by the ending (Night Terrors, Closing Time, The Power of Three, The Lodger to name a few) but this felt like proper Doctor Who, outsmarting the bad guys, turning their own weapons against them and sci-fi gadgety stuff thrown in with no deus ex machina. Quality.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was pretty tough, so many great moments!

1."In your dreams, they'll still be there, The Doctor and Amy Pond, and the days that never came" - The Big Bang

For me never has any actor in the role better managed to convey the sense of an ancient soul in a younger persons body than in this moment , beautifully poignant and enduringly touching.

2. "Hello, I'm The Doctor...basically...run" - The Eleventh Hour.

Matt's debute in The End of Time was great, and the first episode (in terms of broadcast date) really does feel like a direct continuation, and this is the moment he is, unquestionably, The Doctor. Arguably the most impressive debut performance by an actor in the role.

3. " And one whacking great kick up the backside for The Silence" - Day of the Moon

Very often in post 2005 series, a big weakness in the episodes for me can be the sense of anti climax the plot resolution of a story brings. Here not only do The Silence get a kick up the backside, but the whole audience due to Matt's highly energised delivery. Also love the menace lurking under the surface. The Doctor is well and truly p*ssed off, no mistake.

4. Popping out of the cake - Vampires of Venice

Makes me smile just thinking about. Simple as that really :D

5. Playing chess with "himself" - Nightmare in Silver

Theres something incredibly chilling about how he plays "Mr Clever" but whats really impressive is the way he effectively is playing off himself. Takes some real acting chops.

Have to do a few honourable mentions:

"nobody human has anything to say to me today" - The Beast Below

Not a moment, but the subtlety of his performance in Vincent and the Doctor and willingness to place the episode in to Curran's hands impressed me.

Saying "hello" to the TARDIS at the end of The Doctors Wife

His telephone call to The Brig in The Wedding of River Song

The big speech in Rings of Akhaten.
  • Dan4Dan4 Posts: 2,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. Fish Fingers and Custard - The Eleventh Hour.
    I still love this scene and remember watching it for the first time when Matt was our new Doctor and realising that I already loved the 11th Doctor!! :D

4. Air Kissing Craig - The Lodger.
    Love this scene so much. Ha Ha love the Doctor trying to fit in and understand our culture. Still makes me smile ;)

3. The Fez and the Mop -The Big Bang.
    Love Love Love these scenes. So clever, Matt at his best and funniest ;)

2. The Pandorica/Stonehenge Speech - The Pandorica Opens. So powerful. Just a perfect scene. Still gives me chills!!

1.The Rings Of Akhaten Speech - The Rings Of Akhaten.
    Simply beautiful :cry:
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Matt is my second favourite Doctor after Eccleston, and he's clocked up so much time now that five moments is almost impossible...but here goes...

05 - Hello to the Tardis (6.04, The Doctor's Wife)
    The final scene with Idris was the first time Matt was really given the chance to let loose with his emotion... prior to this, he'd held back a bit but here he got to say goodbye, or hello as it actually was, to his longest serving companion.

04 - Kazran's Future (6X, A Christmas Carol)
    There was a lot of comical and sentimental gold from Smith in this one...it's truly one of his greatest episodes. As it approaches its end, the clever scene involving Kazran's future is superbly acted by Matt and Michael Gambon. Before long they're on the same side, and thanks to the superb acting you would never has guessed they were against each other just five minutes earlier. Honorable mention to earlier scenes in the episode involving the young Kazran - Smith bounces off kids brilliantly (as the next example shows), and I think he was at his best here.

03 - Bye Bye Pond (5.13, The Big Bang)
    It's hard to remember that Little Amelia is the same person as Amy sometimes, and that's partly because Matt brilliantly differentiates between her adult self and her child self. The closing scenes of Series 5 where he plants the idea of the old, new, borrowed and blue Tardis in her mind was sentimental and served the story most fittingly too. Although constrained, Matt really conveys a sense of loss in these scenes... unlike Tennant, he didn't need a blunt statement of 'I don't want to go' to get the point across.

02 - The Akhaten Speech (7.07, The Rings of Akhaten)
    I always found the Stonehenge speech to be overrated in Series 5, partly because I don't think it was particularly well written and partly because at that point Smith came across as little more than a child showing off in front of all the adults - he didn't convey authority very well. But come Series 7, there was real authority in his voice with his speech, as well as upset and anger. It was a real classic moment, in what I feel is a very underrated episode. And yes, in my opinion the background singing made it all the more powerful. :D

01 - Goodbye River (7.13, The Name of the Doctor)
    While you never quite know if a goodbye from River is actually goodbye, this was as good as they come. It was touching and moving, and for once it was The Doctor that got to openly admit his emotions - Matt Smith pulled off that task very well. I'm happy for River to appear in the 50th or the Christmas Special, and even at some point briefly in Series 8 - but I truly hope that this little exchange is the last conversation she ever got to have with her Doctor... Eleven. :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randomly;

The 'Doctor as Tigger' food scene with Amelia in 'The Eleventh Hour' culminating in that smile and "Trust me. I'm the Doctor."

The 'Colonel Runaway' scene in AGMGTW. Brilliantly underplayed fury.

Whole first scene in 'A Christmas Carol'. What an entrance!

"I don't want you to go..." Last scene with 'Sexy' in 'The Doctor's Wife'.

(Cheating: Every scene he's in in 'The Lodger')

"I'm not a hero. I am just a madman in a box." scene with Amy/Amelia in 'The God Complex'

The "I'm running *towards* things" two-hander with Amy in 'Power of Three'.

Already more than 5 and I'd also echo pretty much all of the above choices too, cos frankly could name 50, but it's late, s'been an intense night to be a fan so will push off. ;)