James Bond 23 - 'Skyfall'

Comments

• EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now they know it's available those people who would download these things will go looking for it.

So now they know, they would have found out sooner rather than later so it makes no difference. I'm not advocating illegal downloads, it's something I look at but don't partake in myself. I have better things to do with my bandwidth.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I'm not advocating illegal downloads
    Then why mention it in the first place?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Then why mention it in the first place?:confused:

Unless it's a taboo subject on these forums why shouldn't I, or anybody else?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    "Ah, Mr Bond. We've been expecting you."

Looks like Skyfall's done it. Bond joins cinemas most exclusive club :

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond23.htm

As M might say, "Well done, double-o seven." ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Skyfall finally breaks the $1 Billion mark..........

Domestic: $289,600,000 29.0%
    + Foreign: $710,600,000 71.0%

= Worldwide: $1,000,200,000

Dammit, just beat me to it.
    Forum Member
    Dammit, just beat me to it.
    Arf! And it did it without any piracy, eh :rolleyes:;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arf! And it did it without any piracy, eh :rolleyes:;)

It's proof that piracy really has no effect on box office takings regardless of what people say.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony will be thrilled, they needed something like this from their movie division. Didn't they say there will be a new Bond every 2 years?

Could be quite a money spinner.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Skyfall :)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    "Ah, Mr Bond. We've been expecting you."

Looks like Skyfall's done it. Bond joins cinemas most exclusive club :

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond23.htm

As M might say, "Well done, double-o seven." ;)

And this is before it opens in China - its done it just before the end of the year - incredible :eek: ;)
    Skyfall will definitely make $290m in the US and could pass $300m maybe? :eek:
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those yet to see it and know where to look a DVD Screener copy has turned up today. Other than the brief, occasional "for your consideration" it's a mint looking copy.

I love Oscar voting season.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    And this is before it opens in China - its done it just before the end of the year - incredible :eek: ;)
    Skyfall will definitely make $290m in the US and could pass $300m maybe? :eek:

I would think Shaghai's street markets are already awash with studio quality copies. Why would Sony go to all the trouble of trying to get a non-Chink film released in China when most of the cinema going public will have already seen it?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For those yet to see it and know where to look a DVD Screener copy has turned up today. Other than the brief, occasional "for your consideration" it's a mint looking copy.

Not very considerate of them to plaster it with 'For your consideration' every now and then. :rolleyes:
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    I would think Shaghai's street markets are already awash with studio quality copies. Why would Sony go to all the trouble of trying to get a non-Chink film released in China when most of the cinema going public will have already seen it?

You could say that about many big Hollywood films released over there (or HK films for that matter), if the issue is piracy but they still do business.
  • beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it the other day and have to say I found it quite boring.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    beatrice39 wrote: »

Are you sure that you may have expected too much after all the hype and positive reviews? I have found that if you wait to see a huge hyped up hit film for too long you can be disappointed because it cant possibly live up to the hype. I remember The Full Monty coming out in 1997. For six months everyone raved about it but I never bothered to see it until its video release the following year. So I was expecting nothing less than the funniest film ever made. Of course it isnt and I was disappointed with my first viewing of it because everyone had told me they were practically collapsing into the aisles in fits of laughter. Several years down the line watching it without all the hype I now think its quite a good film. Perhaps if you see Skyfall again you may think it is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beatrice39 wrote: »

And it was really missing a pigeon doing a double-take, lots of it was set in London, it's full of bloody pigeons. Mendes dropped the ball there.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Are you sure that you may have expected too much after all the hype and positive reviews? I have found that if you wait to see a huge hyped up hit film for too long you can be disappointed because it cant possibly live up to the hype. I remember The Full Monty coming out in 1997. For six months everyone raved about it but I never bothered to see it until its video release the following year. So I was expecting nothing less than the funniest film ever made. Of course it isnt and I was disappointed with my first viewing of it because everyone had told me they were practically collapsing into the aisles in fits of laughter. Several years down the line watching it without all the hype I now think its quite a good film. Perhaps if you see Skyfall again you may think it is better.

Agree with this 100%.

Bottom line is if you are told it is the best film ever made, regardless of the source, just don't believe it.

The publicity people went into overdrive when the early reviews were positive, and latched onto that 'Best Bond ever' tagline and splashed it everywhere.

I am always reminded of the line from Misery when it comes to how people percieve publicity advertising for films...

'Did y'all go and get amnesia or something?'

Because this has been happening for years...new film comes out, trailer makes it look good, publicity posters scream 'Best film ever' etc...public swallows it and goes to see the film in droves.

And yet they never learn, because they continue to believe what they are told, despite having been betrayed and disappointed countless times.

And the same goes for critics and their quotes used in the advertising praising the movie...that's just kudos for them and their publication, a feather in their cap and the satisfaction of seeing their name in print in the hope that they will be 'respected'. Far be it from me to suggest some reviews are written with that thought in mind, of course...
    Forum Member
    @Ted Cunterblast.

Just out of interest - what's with the double spacing?
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm staggered that Skyfall has broken box office records.

Whilst I agree it was very good film, it was arguably no better than any other decent Bond film & it certainly wasn't any better than any of the first three Bourne films for example, yet it has performed way above expectations at the box office.

Just goes to show what a lot of hype can achieve.
  • beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was probably the overhype of the film. It wasn't a terrible film. I'll watch it again some time down the line.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I'm staggered that Skyfall has broken box office records.

Whilst I agree it was very good film, it was arguably no better than any other decent Bond film & it certainly wasn't any better than any of the first three Bourne films for example, yet it has performed way above expectations at the box office.

Not just hype....The money it's made, I'm sure, is from people seeing it more then once.

so far.....
    Worldwide: $1,023,300,000
    Forum Member
    ...yet it has performed way above expectations at the box office.

They were expecting to improve on the two previous Bonds, but, yes, a billion was not expected.

However, it'll be down to more than just hype, given just how hyped so many releases are these days. Probably a mixture of the right film at the right time, little competition, an improvement on QoS, and a worlwide audience eager for a well-shot Bond thrilller relatively low on gimmicks and generally playing to its strengths.

It's really nothing more than a solid, decent night out at the pictures, mercifully free of endless CGI and summer blockbuster overkill. And as such, there is something strangely heartening about its success.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nah I disagree it was all hype. Skyfall was a solid movie. The amount of positive word of mouth recommendations for this film on my social networks was something i've never seen before. Usually with a movie you'll get a few people here and there raving about it. But skyfall seemed to have a unanimous positive review vibe going both here and in the US. People were taking the trouble to announce that they enjoyed the movie. And this ultimately leads to more people going to see it. Yes there was some people suggesting it was a let down but the general consensus amongst most people was positive. It was a movie you didn't mind telling your friends to go see.

That's not to say it didn't have other factors going for it. They ran a very slick marketing campaign, no doubt about that. Even the billboard.. with Bond on a white background with the gun.. it looked great. And another factor that should not be forgotten is they had Adele singing what is a brilliant theme song. If you add up all the views on YouTube there are over 110 million just for that alone. They had a cracking cast also. Bardem in particular. Brilliant casting.. gutted he died. He should have escaped at the end. Ralph also. And Daniel Craig is at his best in the role now.

They deserved the success. And it's a good thing that Bond is the healthiest it's ever been. It was a great way to mark 50 years.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from a few plot holes and the fact that it is yet another prequel to the first twenty films, it was great. There was Q, M, Moneypenny, some funny one liners, a brilliant villain, fantastic theme song and very little of that horrible fast cut editing during the action sequences that ruined Quantum Of Solace. Unlike his previous two Bond films, I actually enjoyed Daniel Craig's performance as Bond. My favourite Bonds will always be Roger Moore and Sean Connery though.