are the BBC planning a secret multi-doctor special?

mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
Forum Member
Here me out... Listen,

Paul McGann's marvellous alternate costume has just been made canon by the BBC, after they've allowed it to be used in a big finish cover. They've previously dismissed it as unofficial, and that it would need exclusive permission from BBC, the DW show-runner etc. And now its here?!

In addition, Colin baker has just made a comment about losing weight whilst in the Jungle. Yes, he was joking, but if there is some truth behind it, perhaps he's trying to get back to a more 6th doctor-like weight?? Not that his weight bothers me at all, but from meeting him as conventions, he does seem the type of man who would insist on losing the weight if he were to play the role again. He is very dedicated to the show and his fan base, despite the BBC's dreadful treating of him in the 80's.

Just a thought, things seem to be sliding into place as far as those two go, and David has been pictured with Matt recently, Sylvester McCoy has barely aged a day... I reckon it could happen!

Of course, they all say "We haven't been asked!" but they would wouldn't they?! I mean, if its an adventure all set in a space-station indoors and away from fan-cams, no one will EVER know until the day it's broadcast! What an epic surprise would that be! :D

Thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mccollough wrote: »
    Paul McGann

I can only dream of this. Nothing DW related would make me happier than seeing him back where he belongs.
    mccollough wrote: »
    In addition, Colin baker has just made a comment about losing weight whilst in the Jungle. Yes, he was joking, but if there is some truth behind it, perhaps he's trying to get back to a more 6th doctor-like weight?? Not that his weight bothers me at all, but from meeting him as conventions, he does seem the type of man who would insist on losing the weight if he were to play the role again. He is very dedicated to the show and his fan base, despite the BBC's dreadful treating of him in the 80's.

Ha, yes, that was my first thought too. As soon as he said it, my head and heart started arguing. He obviously wants to be thinner for the 50th, he must have been asked back. Don't be silly, he is concerned about his health and wants to do it for his kids. Etc
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be so nice to think so. Imagine the shock if we really didn't know anything beforehand, watching an anniversary special and suddenly there's McGann, or Davison etc...

But really, would something like this, IF it was happening, ever be able to be kept secret? I doubt it. And anyway, the BBC publicity machine would want to milk such an occasion as much as possible.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »

It would be so nice to think so. Imagine the shock if we really didn't know anything beforehand, watching an anniversary special and suddenly there's McGann, or Davison etc...

But really, would something like this, IF it was happening, ever be able to be kept secret? I doubt it. And anyway, the BBC publicity machine would want to milk such an occasion as much as possible.

What shock?

It is bound to be called "the Eleven Doctors" :)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping not to be honest, it just seems lazy and clichéd. We've had multi-Doctor stories for anniversaries of the series before, I'd rather something original was done for this one, especially with it being such a milestone anniversary.

I do hope we get some sort of homage to the past Doctors however, and I wouldn't mind seeing a multi-Doctor story sometime after the 50th. :)
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    What shock?

Well, if they could stretch it to include two more doctors then they could front it with Tom and Colin and call it "Baker's Dozen"...
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping not to be honest, it just seems lazy and clichéd. We've had multi-Doctor stories for anniversaries of the series before, I'd rather something original was done for this one, especially with it being such a milestone anniversary.

I do hope we get some sort of homage to the past Doctors however, and I wouldn't mind seeing a multi-Doctor story sometime after the 50th. :)

We can have that with later anniversaries. If we're all honest, this will probably be the last chance for some of the older Doctors e.g. T Baker to appear as their very old now, so the Dr Who team should take that chance
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    No idea.

Wouldn't rule it out though.
  • ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    It would be cool if they were! Maybe when DT and Billie were both filming True Love, which aired on the Beeb earlier this year, they found time to pop off and shoot some 10.5/Rose scenes. I mean, they weren't in the same episode, but you never know... :)

On another point, I don't think it's lazy or clichéd to have a multi-Doctor story for the anniversary - it has happened before, granted, but not very often in half a century. I'd be excited to see a multi-Doctor story with a few new faces to this style of story.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a anniversary you have to pay some kind of tribute to his previous incarnations.
    Would love it if they bring Captain Jack back. In the mean time we do have 9 episodes.
    One christmas special and the 8 episodes of 7.2. Looking forward to friday and the new scene/trailer :).
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    That might be the case. I would love a multi-doctor special, but i'm not holding my breath.
    Moffat is well known for doing what he wants and not bend to pressure from the fans. Which he has every right to, he is the showrunner after all ( says with gritted teeth ). However, he has swayed a little over the past year in relation to certain aspects of Doctor Who, the Daleks design for one.
    So you never know. We may see the great Ten and Eleven interact and argue a lot ( hopefully ) :p Love it when different versions of himself have different opinions on how to do things. That's why I love The Three Doctors.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I think they're doing a "Bowfinger" (great Steve Martin film). It will be a multi Doctor story, but they just haven't told the former Doctors about it.

In the plot it'll be that the sixth Doctor has been trapped on a jungle planet with a bunch of random strangers. He's caught an alien tropical disease that's made him puff up like a watermelon and he has to survive somehow through dangerous canoe journeys where the boat is sunk by CGI'd-in-later monsters and the natives steal their beds and food.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowfinger= one of the best films ever:)

I am hoping that there is SOMETHING secret planned, just so we get more doctor who on tv:) I do feel a bit bereft at the moment and wishing we had more.

I've just been thinking of another possible idea to fit in some classic actors. It could be if Doc 11 gets a bump on the head, or get slipped some mind bending dug, or poisoned or something.........
    and has hallucinations, and sees a barman who looks EXACTLY like Sylvester McCoy as he's asking for some water, telling him how he feels a bit funny. He realises he's been drugged and then runs to a pharmacy looking for something to cure himself. And the pharmacist is Tom baker.
    Matt says "haven't I seen you somewhere before?"
    Tom: "I have one of those faces" (big grin)
    Matt "anyway i need some eye drops for pink eye"?
    Tom "certainly, and would you like some jelly babies? They're on offer today"

So Matt drinks the eye drops and runs to the corner shop to find some diet Irn Bru. He asks the shop lady (filing the shelf, back to camera)where are the diet ones because it HAS to be diet it's the only one with monotoxobenzanine in it. Sophie Aldred turns round and says "sorry, none here, but you could try in the fridge next to the till"

He finds some there and downs the bottle in one. The guy at the checkout says "hey ur you gonnae pay for that pal?" and it's David Tennant, so Matt gives him a wad full of cash and runs off down the street.

He collapses, muttering that he only needs some adrenaline now to complete the cure but the world starts spinning and people are crowding round. Some one rings for an ambulance. He opens his eyes as a paramedic is shining a light into them. It's Paul McGann and he's telling Sherridan Smith that he thinks it's some kind of allergic shock, and to give him an adrenalin minijet. He administers it and Matt sits straight up and takes a huge in breath. Says "thanks for that, I feel better now. I think the side effects might take some time to go away, but it's definitely working.
    He runs away before the paramedics can stop him.

OK I've missed some people in there. How about he needs to get back to the other side of town quick and gets on a bus or underground and it's Colin baker driving or something, and Peter Davidson is a passenger.

So that's just a possible way of doing a "multi doctor" story, without it being a multi doctor story. I got a bit carried away there lol. It was just supposed to be a quick idea example, but something like that would be great.
    Forum Member
    Nice one Killer. If only they'd asked you to write the script for Dimensions in Time! (although I think a forum member also described that as most likely a Doctor hallucination too. Which would explain a lot).

Also - Bowfinger. Highly recommend it to anyone. I knew nothing about it before I saw it by chance once. Really good, lovely movie. A gem.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    What shock?

Yeah, shame ....

.... cos the 12 Doctors Golden Anniversary Clock would have been AMAZING
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the US Republicans can do it then I can: because I want a multidoctor story with at least McCoy and McGann I'm going genuinely to believe that we're getting one — irrespective of the evidence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Have nothing to go on other than gut instinct, but I'm almost certain Tennant will be back.

As for the rest, I think it is less certain, but it would be great if at least some of them did.
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    If the US Republicans can do it then I can: because I want a multidoctor story with at least McCoy and McGann I'm going genuinely to believe that we're getting one — irrespective of the evidence.

An alternative way of thinking is "If the US Republicans do it then I shouldn't.". :D

However, if Romney had campaigned on an "Eighth Doctor for telly story" platform I'd have moved there and voted for him.

Well, actually, no I wouldn't. Some things aren't worth it.

Having said that - Peter Jackson hired the seventh Doctor and also owns his costume. Peter Jackson wants to direct a Doctor Who. Peter Jackson lives quite near to where Colin Baker is right now. And wasn't it (Jackson's) Weta Workshop who designed and made the eighth Doctor's sonic screwdriver that he showed off at that convention?

Multi Doctor story theory ahoy! Evidence be damned!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they don't do a multi-Doctor story it'll be a huge disappointment. I'd rather have a ropey episode with all the Doctors in than a brilliant episode without them
    Forum Member
    sohoguy wrote: »
    If they don't do a multi-Doctor story it'll be a huge disappointment. I'd rather have a ropey episode with all the Doctors in than a brilliant episode without them

If they do one with all the Doctors in then it might not be ropey, but it'll probably be freaky. and illegal. ;):o
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »

Having said that - Peter Jackson hired the seventh Doctor and also owns his costume. Peter Jackson wants to direct a Doctor Who. Peter Jackson lives quite near to where Colin Baker is right now. And wasn't it (Jackson's) Weta Workshop who designed and made the eighth Doctor's sonic screwdriver that he showed off at that convention?

Multi Doctor story theory ahoy! Evidence be damned!

Yeah if 4126km counts as near?

I like killerbuzcuts idea with William Russell and a few others thrown in too. Actually an episode that hinges around the companion seeking help from a stranger, who is unexpectedly believing of the odd, only for the doctor to recognise Ian at the end.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping for one more along the lines of Trial of a Time Lord, where the 12th Doctor has to try himself, judged by his previous incarnations, in order to gain a new round of regenerations or face the end.
    Forum Member
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    I was hoping for one more along the lines of Trial of a Time Lord, where the 12th Doctor has to try himself, judged by his previous incarnations, in order to gain a new round of regenerations or face the end.

Something along the lines of the Press Complaints Commission as chaired by the editor of the Daily Mail?
    Forum Member
    Yeah if 4126km counts as near?

I like killerbuzcuts idea with William Russell and a few others thrown in too. Actually an episode that hinges around the companion seeking help from a stranger, who is unexpectedly believing of the odd, only for the doctor to recognise Ian at the end.

ooh. Not exactly next door, is it? I think I'll invest in a globe soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I think someone made the point earlier but really this is a last chance saloon occasion to see previous incumbents of the role reprise it. Tom'll be almost 80 at air date, Colin 70 and Sylvester 70, Peter Davison's now I think early 60's so realistically, how many of them will be around and in a fit state to reprise their roles in say another 10 years time. I'm sure we'd all love that but the practicalities of time just mean it's not feasible.

The show owes them that final thank you from the fans old generation and new and I have no doubt whatsoever that we'll get it. I even started thinking about how you could do it and explain the age thing and change of appearance. Forgive the blanks which I haven't filled in yet but...and I know you might say this is somewhat similar to the Five Doctors but, slowly someone is tampering with the universe, altering reality and in the process seeking to wipe out the Doctor and other facets.

To that end, the Doctor in each of his incarnations has been humanised completely (one heart, no regeneration energy) with memories and most intelligence erased and these aging men are now being looked after in a secure country estate by [insert companions here - Jamie, Jo Grant, take your pick] trying to get these aging men to keep remembering what little they remember before it's too late. The story would explain that Doctors 1 - 3, since they'd become human had died oer the years due to old age, photos above the fireplace as a wink to them and references in dialogue throughout could be sufficient. I'd even go as far as one of the companions in the house pretending to be Sarah Jane and writing to Doctor 4 regularly as they couldn't bear to tell him the truth, as the one person he asked for daily was Sarah Jane. That might be the epic emotional moment or perhaps if he found out the truth.

Doctor 11, find out something is wrong when he receives a call to earth from UNIT and visits the house. He travels across his own time stream to meet up with 8, 9 and 10 before the effects spread too far forward in time.

The country home would be at the centre of the story whereby Doctors 4 - 7 would have to defend the house from invaders, alien or otherwise [again insert your own scenario] whilst 8 - 11 go off to solve the problem.

The whole thing could be as cheesy or as dark as you wanted but the basis would be that you could explain the aging, show how much more fragile each actor had become in real life, but how wonderfully talented they still were and yet still tell a compelling and beautifully emotive story without requiring physically demanding acting.

I think the last scene would have to be a row of TARDISes lined up, each doctor picking up their old clothes, scarves, hats, celery sticks, colourful jackets, umbrellas, etc from their respective wardrobes, walking off to their TARDIS companionless and just before they disappear you see them as we last saw them, teeth and curls, blonde locks etc showing the aging process reversing with smiles on their faces.

That's where I'm thinking, feel free to shoot it right to pieces, it's just an opinion!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just go get my gun.............
    Just kidding:p
    Really- that's a brilliant idea. I heard an audio story on the radio about Tom Bakers doctor turning up in around present day and going to an old house where the stuffed animals were coming to life at night and he had to be around to sort of hypnotise them. Others were trying to break into the house. It turned out they were tiny wasp like aliens inside them- anyway there could be that kind of scenario going on, and it would all link up in some timey wimey way (fully explained of course), like it did in that audio story. In that case the doc was seeing the wasps in reverse order, which is why they seemed to know more about him than he did about them all the time, and the story gradually got explained.

Almost forgot, the story started with Harry Sullivan (now retired) turning up, having answered an advert.