What is there to get excited by Playstation 4?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
I'm a current PS3 owner and made the effort to get a 60GB PS3 because I want my PS3 to play all Playstation games. Rather than simply being wowed by graphics I like to have the biggest choice possible in games, with the PS3 already being pretty impressive and development times for the most modern, most complicated games being so great now the PS3 doesn't feel like its coming to the end of its life, it feels as if it could easily last 10-12 years. Only this year we will have GTA 5 for it which promising to be very impressive and immersive in graphics, what do we need a new console for?
The PS3's library of games isn't as comprehensive as PS2 for precisely the reason that PS3 games are much more graphics intensive and complicated in nature, the PS4 coming along can only reduce the choice in available games by shutting down the PS3 far too early.

The PS4, so is it worth it?

Having to buy a new console just to get a few new games they probably could have developed for the PS3 instead if it weren't for the "market" such as the new Uncharted and Final Fantasy, the PS4 just means the end of what is already a highly developed console for what is only an incremental bit of progress in gaming development, the PS3 was much more of a chasm leap from the PS2 in terms of technology as was the PS2 from the PS1.

Goodbye to your old games, not only is Sony planning to offer ZERO support for your PS3 library but it's also planning to be hostile to second hand games with the rumour that PS4 games might be tied to the Sony Entertainment Network online. Unsurprisingly the only access you'll get to PS2 and PS1 games will be that way too.

There's nothing that jumps out and "wows" you in terms of PS4's new features, a few of them sound nice enough but could have easily been applied to/added to the PS3. Streaming games to Vita, recording your last few minutes in gameplay, the eye movement in the controller with camera and microphone, these aren't quantum type leaps like the last time such as the Blu-Ray drive over DVD, the ability to use Wi-Fi for the first time and network gaming in the box, the PS4 is a victim I feel of the PS3 actually being so good, so good that the improvement over the PS2 was massive, it felt exciting to get a PS3 but I'm stopping there.

The PS4 will probably pack less features than that first PS3 60GB with the PS2 backwards compatibility, it'll probably have no SD card reader, it's rumoured not to be playing Audio CD's yet it has the same Blu-Ray drive, it's all about the graphics which I feel are already impressive on the PS3, the PS3 even offers 3D in games already and support for 3D Blu-Rays! The only thing the PS4 will do is bring it on par with PC gaming as it's improved, but big flippin' deal the key thing to making games fun is ideas and content. Nintendo isn't the front runner of graphics and their consoles are underpowered yet some of their games are indeed the most fun, surely Playstation must realise this too? If you keep changing consoles every 5 minutes and closing each library off, then you're not build up a lot of content are you?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not actually all about graphics at all.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Bill, bear in mind that we've not actually seen that much about the ps4.

I watched that ps4 show a couple of months back and the contents of that show are really all we know about the console. That was the teaser trailer for it. You've not seen the finished product and all its capabilities.

There is at least half a year before it comes out and even when that happens, more features will come after.

Mr Clinton, good things come to those that wait.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    Have to say that right now im not that excited about the PS4 & don't currently plan to rush out to buy one.

Main reason been that right now its all been about specs/features & as i've said before 95% of the features don't interest me & several are a bit of a turn off to me.

Having said all that though, For me its all about the games & more importantly the gameplay.
    When games start turning up which I'm interested in then providing they don't force the use of features I have no interest in using (Motion/touch controls for example), I'll start to look at getting a PS4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy (almost) every console at Launch and am usually i'm slightly disappointed for about a year until great games start to arrive

But PS4 is starting to look like it will have a launch line up that might impress me for once

Killzone Shadow Fall
    Infamous Second Son
    Fifa 14
    and i'm sure more they'll announce at E3

I just hope that Christmas morning i'll be setting up a PS4 and not waiting till easter
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guess the extra resources will allow the makers to make better games - I hope they use the extra power to improve AI and gameplay rather than better graphics.

And you know how you can continue to play your PS3 games if you buy a PS4? Yes, that's right on your PS3. They won't ban you from using it once you have bought a PS4.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing that jumps out and "wows" you in terms of PS4's new features, a few of them sound nice enough but could have easily been applied to/added to the PS3.

While I sighed when I saw the thread title, I found your post reasonable enough, up until the point where you said this - ^^^^^

Sorry but you don't seem to understand computers enough to know the difference between what is possible with a PS3(256MB ram, tricky custom-built architecture), and what you'll be able to get out of the PS4 (8gb ram, known architecture, streamlined OS).

While graphical detail capabilities in certain respects will not see the same sort of advances we saw going into the current gen, the possibilities for things like particle physics or increasing the possibilities in open-world games are really exciting to me.

I'd be willing to bet there'll be a ps4 edition of GTA5 at some point, but what I most looking forward to is the smaller games, and ps4 looks like being a great home for indie gaming.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Its not just about graphics though its about performance and things happening on screen

Games get prettier and prettier every year but its still limited in the amount of things that can happen on screen

Take dead rising for instance all those zombies crowded around you imagine ps2 trying to handle that with ps2 graphics it would most likely start to freeze up and get abit choppy

In this gen dead rising does it and handles it pretty well but in the next gen dead rising 3 or 4 whichever could probly put 3 times the amount of zombies onscreen and you would not see a single framerate chop

Things that happen in the backgrounds in epic games during those setpiece moments will be alot more doable next gen aswell

So yea its all thoses moving things which the console will be able to handle with ease while running smooth and looking super fine is what the next gen is going for IMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm excited to see what Quantic Dream do with the new tech, really love their style of game.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I sighed when I saw the thread title, I found your post reasonable enough, up until the point where you said this - ^^^^^

Sorry but you don't seem to understand computers enough to know the difference between what is possible with a PS3(256MB ram, tricky custom-built architecture), and what you'll be able to get out of the PS4 (8gb ram, known architecture, streamlined OS).

While graphical detail capabilities in certain respects will not see the same sort of advances we saw going into the current gen, the possibilities for things like particle physics or increasing the possibilities in open-world games are really exciting to me.

I'd be willing to bet there'll be a ps4 edition of GTA5 at some point, but what I most looking forward to is the smaller games, and ps4 looks like being a great home for indie gaming.

Yeah I think the point is a lot of this stuff wouldn't have been possible on the PS3. Ignoring the fact that its much more powerful, it will also support loads of new welcomed features.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see a more considered article on here Bill, however I nil concur with most of it. The PS4 will offer a hefty evolve in all facets of console leisure. Improved graphics are a given, remote play and Gaikai cloud gaming, plus immeasurable advancements in media and OS features.

The physics element mentioned by NB is a huge, yet subtle additional positive. Characters will look and move with far more fluency and the advanced lighting effects will also provide considerably more realistic environments. Put simply, it'll be a significant leap from PS3. Particularly when devs get a full on feel for the new tech, and fully utilise that mammoth 8GB of GDDR5.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    That new hardware smell.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see a more considered article on here Bill, however I nil concur with most of it. The PS4 will offer a hefty evolve in all facets of console leisure. Improved graphics are a given, remote play and Gaikai cloud gaming, plus immeasurable advancements in media and OS features.

The physics element mentioned by NB is a huge, yet subtle additional positive. Characters will look and move with far more fluency and the advanced lighting effects will also provide considerably more realistic environments. Put simply, it'll be a significant leap from PS3. Particularly when devs get a full on feel for the new tech, and fully utilise that mammoth 8GB of GDDR5.

And dont forget its not just off the shelf hardware! That hardware is not just for graphics, its for anything the dev wants to use it for!
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still own a 60g Ps3 from new. I'm hoping it lasts until the 500gb Ps3 is under £150.
    I'll buy one of those when the inevitable happens.
    Still have 2 ps2's.
    Backward compatability isn't an issue for me.
    The games announced so far mean I can wait till next Feb or March to buy a Ps4. As they are the usual FPS and war games.:yawn:
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still own a 60g Ps3 from new. I'm hoping it lasts until the 500gb Ps3 is under £150.
    I'll buy one of those when the inevitable happens.
    Still have 2 ps2's.
    Backward compatability isn't an issue for me.
    The games announced so far mean I can wait till next Feb or March to buy a Ps4. As they are the usual FPS and war games.:yawn:

I also have a 60GB PS3 from new. No need to get a 500GB PS3 though, just get the cheapest slim and pop in a 500GB HDD or larger.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I also have a 60GB PS3 from new. No need to get a 500GB PS3 though, just get the cheapest slim and pop in a 500GB HDD or larger.

Suppose I could. I was slightly put off changing another hard drive after doing so in my 60gb.
    The blue screws were about as hard as soft cheese and I ended up breaking 2 of the slot holes on the caddy pulling them out with pliers.
    Nearly chucked it against a wall. Thanfully it has been ok with just 3 screws in place.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's nothing that jumps out and "wows" you in terms of PS4's new features, a few of them sound nice enough but could have easily been applied to/added to the PS3. Streaming games to Vita, recording your last few minutes in gameplay, the eye movement in the controller with camera and microphone, these aren't quantum type leaps like the last time such as the Blu-Ray drive over DVD, the ability to use Wi-Fi for the first time and network gaming in the box,

Blu-ray was nothing more than a laser upgrade to the DVD player giving higher resolution images and storage capacity as a result. When you consider the PS4 can render a video to youtube etc. whilst you are still playing your game and consider that you'd currently have to sit and wait for it to happen on a PS3. That's a pretty big leap in my opinion, and that's only one facet of what the PS4 can do.

Wifi and bluray were already developed technologies which were shoehorned into the PS3. From what we've seen so far of the PS4 (which isn't a great deal) it should be pretty spectacular.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just bought my first ps3 a few weeks ago, it has a large library of games for me to get through so i will stick with it for a few years. My policy on a new console is that i won't buy it until they release the slimmer model a few years down the line, i don't want a system the size of a george foreman grill sitting on my desk. This business of them releasing slimmer model's down the line is nothing more then a money making exercise to persuade people to purchase the same hardware a second time, no doubt the first model of PS4 will be just as oversized and bulky as the first PS3, so i''ll wait for the slimmer model thank you very much, with the added bonus of a good library of games to choose from...
  • TellyAddickTellyAddick Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I just bought my first ps3 a few weeks ago, it has a large library of games for me to get through so i will stick with it for a few years. My policy on a new console is that i won't buy it until they release the slimmer model a few years down the line, i don't want a system the size of a george foreman grill sitting on my desk. This business of them releasing slimmer model's down the line is nothing more then a money making exercise to persuade people to purchase the same hardware a second time, no doubt the first model of PS4 will be just as oversized and bulky as the first PS3, so i''ll wait for the slimmer model thank you very much, with the added bonus of a good library of games to choose from...

I think that's more due to the fact that the chips and the parts they put in the consoles get smaller over time as the technology advances, not only that they become cheaper to make hence them making the consoles smaller, also by making the consoles smaller they were able to add things like more usb slots and bigger hdd'

look at it this way if the ps4 comes with backwards compatability on day one release and then they bring out a new Slimmer PS4 in a few years time without backwards compatability which one are you going to get?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Not much at the moment IMHO. None of the games from the conference stood out to me. I expect better things from E3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think they shot their wod too early.

Hype has gone. Now would have been an ideal time.
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just want one i think that's enough but to me it does look like an impressive piece of kit
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's more due to the fact that the chips and the parts they put in the consoles get smaller over time as the technology advances, not only that they become cheaper to make hence them making the consoles smaller, also by making the consoles smaller they were able to add things like more usb slots and bigger hdd'

look at it this way if the ps4 comes with backwards compatability on day one release and then they bring out a new Slimmer PS4 in a few years time without backwards compatability which one are you going to get?

have you seen how small a micro atx computer is these days, if PS4 is another oversized monster like the first PS3 there will be no excuses, as for backwards compatibility, we already know that the PS4 won't be backwards compatible, that was confirmed months ago...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you seen how small a micro atx computer is these days, if PS4 is another oversized monster like the first PS3 there will be no excuses, as for backwards compatibility, we already know that the PS4 won't be backwards compatible, that was confirmed months ago...
    microATX boards are the same size now as they were when they were first introduced.

It has to be to conform to the standards and thus be a microATX board :P

Pedantics aside (I do know what you mean), they still have the trouble of fitting a 10cm by 7cm hard drive and a 17cm by 14cm Blu-ray drive into one box - and Sony also go for internal power supplies unlike MS.

So even if they crammed all the stuff onto a microATX sized board it'd be pointless.

They also have the heat issue to deal with.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't give a monkeys if I had to build an extension to the house to fit it in.

It looks amazing and the size of it doesn't bother me !