Radio's Reaction to Robin Gibbs Death

wilts_ianwilts_ian Posts: 644
Forum Member
✭✭
Heart currently playing the Bee Gee's hits after the midnight news.

I guess the breaking of this news late in the day won't be picked up until Breakfast by most of the stations.

Comments

• HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heat were on the bell and played Bee Gees at 23:45!
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smooth has just played 4 bee gees songs in a row- Real hasn't yet
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »

Surely an ironic coincidence as it's automated bar the live overnight simulcast?
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smooth Breakfast. - Simon paying tribute to Robin Gibb with a special Golden Hour.
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Chris Evans made any mention of it yet?

Have listened for the last half an hour or so and he's not said anything.

I know the format of his show demands that the world is a place of milk and honey where everyone lives forever, but a brief acknowledgement of Robin's death and a song or three of his would be appreciated.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of Bee Gees tracks this morning on Gold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Essex have done two or three nice little pieces,and played Bee Gees songs after the news bulletins so far since 9am.
  • Nard DogNard Dog Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone here him on Steve Wright a few months ago?

he was so up and convinced he was well, it was an unnerving listen based on his looks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted on the Radio Jackie Facebook group.
    In memory of Robin Gibb's sad passing you can request your favorite Bee Gee song on Alistair Wright's show at 11:30 this morning and/or cast your vote on Mick Brown's Bee Gee Top 10 all day, with the number one playing out just before 7pm. Call 0208 288 1078 or email studio@radiojackie.com
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria Derbyshire hosted a discussion about Robin Gibb on her programme this morning on 5 Live and said he had a wonderful unique voice - then proceeded to play snippets of the Bee Gees big hits from the 70s, all of which feature Barry Gibb as lead vocalist. There wasn't a single play of their 60s hits on which Robin was the lead vocalist...
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luca wrote: »
    I know the format of his show demands that the world is a place of milk and honey where everyone lives forever, but a brief acknowledgement of Robin's death and a song or three of his would be appreciated.

Just in case anyone wanted to use this to slag off Evans, he did this after the eight o'clock news,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member

And so did David Heane on Real he played You win again. at 23:40 ish?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jakey4ever wrote: »
    And so did David Heane on Real he played You win again. at 23:40 ish?

Now that's a tune!
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Victoria Derbyshire hosted a discussion about Robin Gibb on her programme this morning on 5 Live and said he had a wonderful unique voice - then proceeded to play snippets of the Bee Gees big hits from the 70s, all of which feature Barry Gibb as lead vocalist. There wasn't a single play of their 60s hits on which Robin was the lead vocalist...

Exactly the same on Nolan's show last night - Sony Award winner, my arse! :rolleyes:

His team obviously got hold of the Saturday Night Fever CD and played tracks from that, with "Staying Alive" getting an extended play, in particluar. At one time the BBC would've sacked somebody for being so inept and insensitive.

Only when I tuned into BBC London 94.9 did the excellent Mel, producer of Jo Good's show, play older tracks with Robin Gibb singing lead - even if Jo Good herself, as usual, knew nothing about Robin Gibb, not even that he'd been a twin. How that woman claims to have been in "Showbusiness" for decades is a mystery. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Only when I tuned into BBC London 94.9 did the excellent Mel, producer of Jo Good's show, play older tracks with Robin Gibb singing lead - even if Jo Good herself, as usual, knew nothing about Robin Gibb, not even that he'd been a twin. How that woman claims to have been in "Showbusiness" for decades is a mystery. :confused:

I've seen Jo Good in an episode of Only Fools and Horses from the early 80s.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen Jo Good in an episode of Only Fools and Horses from the early 80s.

Was she any good?
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didnt she used to be in Crossroads? That would explain a lot!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Was she any good?

It was a very small part where Del tried to chat her up, so wasn't exactly a major role!
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    Back on topic, Radio 2 have played many great Bee Gees songs today, a very fitting tribute.

I see Mike Read popped up on Sky News today and Paul Gambaccini on Daybreak this morning.
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone wanted to use this to slag off Evans, he did this after the eight o'clock news,

I didn't hear him actually mention Robin Gibb had died.

I heard him play some Bee Gees records.

Mentioning death on that show is like stamping out the fire with webbed feet in The Silver Chair.
  • ToshibaToshiba Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not only that, Evans mentioned Robin Gibb at the start of his show and when the whinging poster was supposedly listening. Except clearly they had their fingers in their ears, ignoring Evans's replies to numerous emails and text messages asking for Bee Gees records by saying there would be a few played after 8am, because it was an inconvenient truth in the land of milk and honey.

The thing is, it's only days since Evans was mentioning the death of Donna Summer, so the whinging poster's comments really couldn't have been more poorly timed.
  • ToshibaToshiba Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mentioning death on that show is like stamping out the fire with webbed feet in The Silver Chair.

Only in your opinion, which is irrelevant due to you not running or presenting a radio show. Radio 2 and Chris Evans clearly have a different opinion, illustrated by Evans mentioning the DEATHS of both Robin Gibb and Donna Summer in the last few days...
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't hear him actually mention Robin Gibb had died.

I heard him play some Bee Gees records.

Given he did so straight after a news bulletin in which the top story was that Robin Gibb had died, and he linked two of them with a clip of Robin speaking, I think it would have been blatantly obvious to all listeners why he was playing them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Join heart this week end as they celebrate a week end of disco in memory.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Join heart this week end as they celebrate a week end of disco in memory.

Thanks for that. Will enjoy it. I was travelling some distance to a funeral on Monday and actually it was strangely comforting hearing all these familiar Bee Gees tracks.