Which Windows Phone 8 mobile to get....

Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
Forum Member
Next month my 2 year contract on my HTC desire will come to an end. Although initially quite impressed with it and Android, I've since found the layout tedious, battery life below average, no space for internal storage (so no Facebook app etc) and mostly very very slow, especially with text messaging.

Having played around with a windows 8 phone (might have been a Nokia lumia) in a shop, I really liked the interface of the Windows 8 phone and was wondering if anyone could recommend which ones are good and which to avoid. I'm looking for a phone with a decent camera, decent battery life, ability to download apps without too much hassle (only really download Facebook, Twitter, and a few games tbh) and most importantly a phone that isn't going to grind to a halt in terms of processing within 6 months. Size wise, I'm not really one for big phones, so either something thin like galaxy s3 or smaller like my desire.

Much thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    To be fair, Android cant be blamed for the shortcomings of the Desire or the tedious nature of Sense.

As for Windows phones, aren't HTC running an ad at the moment with James Corden (bang goes that recommendation) Looks like a nice phone that one.
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I really want a Windows Phone, its just the lack of apps that puts me off.
  • mrvgargmrvgarg Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung Ativ S for a thin light phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend has got a Nokia Lumia 920 and is always banging on about how great it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lumia 920 every time!!!!
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're worried about battery life then there's only one sensible choice for WP8 - the Samsung Ativ S.
    Not only does it have a larger battery than either the Lumia 920 or HTC 8X but there's this really amazing thing you can do with the battery too: remove/swap it!

That and you get a memory card slot which neither of the other WP8 flagships have, as well as Samsung's superior reliability.
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want a Windows Phone, its just the lack of apps that puts me off.

What Apps do you feel are missing? I have a Windows 7.5 phone and I have not noticed a shoratage of usefull Apps.
  • huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Samsung's superior reliability.

Do you have any proof to back up that claim? Im sure all the S3 owners with broken screens might disagree.
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    To be honest all I use my phone for is...

Calls
    Texts
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Web browsing
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube
    Music
    Alarm
    Calculator
    FM radio

From what I've seen most Windows phones do all of these. Had a little play with a lumia 920 yesterday, although it was fun, seemed a bit bulky for my liking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Calls
    Texts
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Web browsing
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube
    Music
    Alarm
    Calculator
    FM radio

From what I've seen most Windows phones do all of these. Had a little play with a lumia 920 yesterday, although it was fun, seemed a bit bulky for my liking.

The upcomming Lumia 620 looks good and cost effective.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    Im sure all the S3 owners with broken screens might disagree.
    Physical damage has nothing to do with reliability.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WP8 has three "high-end" phones: Nokia Lumia 920, HTC 8X and Samsung Ativ S.
    Next one down is the Nokia Lumia 820 with a lower screen resolution than the 920 but similar in most other respects.
    Then after that is the HTC 8S with a number of spec items lesser than the 8X.
    Then there are a number of lesser 8 phones which you should avoid IMO.

Out of those, pick which one you like best physically. The material on the back of the 8X is nice. People who like the Galaxy S 3 shape will like the Ativ S. Nokia is rumoured to be coming out with an aluminium, thinner version of the 920 later this year so I'm waiting for that.

You should note that Nokia does have some value-adding apps that are specific to its phones like Nokia Music (free pre-made playlists of music), Nokia Drive (free satnav app with downloadable maps to use offline) and they often get exclusives on third-party apps. E.g. some of the earlier angry birds stuff on wp7 was temporarily only for Nokias.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Physical damage has nothing to do with reliability.

Yep, it has more to do with durability. But a more durable phone has the same end effect as a more reliable phone: more likely to keep working over time.
  • FiendishlyCFiendishlyC Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    My experience with Windows Phone is limited to 7.5 but be aware there is no official YouTube app (works fine in the bowser) and I believe WP8 hasn't got a proper Facebook app yet? I was a little disappointed with the build quality of my Lumia 710, creaky battery cover and and an iffy headphone jack. On the other hand Nokia have invested a lot in the platform and their exclusive apps are top notch.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKW wrote: »
    What Apps do you feel are missing? I have a Windows 7.5 phone and I have not noticed a shoratage of usefull Apps.

Instagram is a big miss in my opinion. I love the interface of 7.5. It's worth noting that there is very little difference in actual noticeable performance between the lower end handsets and the higher end handsets of Windows 8. A bigger screen and a better camera are the main advantages to buying the high end handset.

To answer the OPs question I'd go for the Samsung as it's slightly more tweak able with the battery and shares the same design as the S3.
  • beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the Nokia 620. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a little disappointed with the build quality of my Lumia 710, creaky battery cover and and an iffy headphone jack. On the other hand Nokia have invested a lot in the platform and their exclusive apps are top notch.

I would disagree. I think the 710 is very well built and my battey cover has never creaked!

For a £85 phone its very hard to better.
    Forum Member
    My experience with Windows Phone is limited to 7.5 but be aware there is no official YouTube app (works fine in the bowser) and I believe WP8 hasn't got a proper Facebook app yet? I was a little disappointed with the build quality of my Lumia 710, creaky battery cover and and an iffy headphone jack. On the other hand Nokia have invested a lot in the platform and their exclusive apps are top notch.

The lack of Facebook app may be a deal breaker, although from what I've read there are a number of alternatives to access fb. I'm still split, my head says an iPhone 5 but my heart says I know exactly what I'm getting with that and I find it a bit boring, go for a Windows phone.
  • Arenas52Arenas52 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    There is a facebook app for Windows Phone 8 and for 7.5. Facebook and Twitter are also integrated into the operating system to such an extent that I very rarely use the dedicated app anyway.
    Forum Member
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up, actually just read some more bits, mostly just people moaning about lack of silly things like being able to tag people in posts. Apparently the wp8 social network hub is pretty neat too.
    Forum Member
    Quick question, on the Nokia lumia 820, although it comes with micro SD slot, but no apps can be stored there. Will this affect the performance as it fills?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I had a Lumia 800 and liked it a lot, unfortunately I was let down by Three went the phone went wrong after 2 weeks. So I parted company with both Nokia and Three. I must admit I really like the HTC 8X its a lovely looking phone. Just for the record did you know that Huawie have just bought out there first Windows phone (see link below) and it looks a cracker!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a449456/huawei-unveils-first-windows-phone-8-device.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 920 is superb.
  • Arenas52Arenas52 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Quick question, on the Nokia lumia 820, although it comes with micro SD slot, but no apps can be stored there. Will this affect the performance as it fills?

I have the Lumia 800 with 16g of internal storage. I've got about 8 of that left and it hasn't slowed down at all. Windows is a very fluid and quick OS. My phone never stutters or lags. I don't have any experience of WP8 but I can't imagine that would be any different as it's an upgrade from the 7.5 running on my Lumia.

Just to add that my next upgrade will be to a WP8 Nokia purely for Nokia Drive. It's worth getting just for that if you drive. I have navigated my way effortlessly round Scotland without using any data as it stores maps for use offline. Comes in handy if you drive on holiday abroad as you download the maps of the country you're going to before you leave and use it offline.
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Calls
    Texts
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Web browsing
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube
    Music
    Alarm
    Calculator
    FM radio

There is no FM radio in Windows Phone 8, for now.