Mrs Brown's Boys S3 Discussion

Comments

• Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zayna99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the dragonfly connection is? Mrs Brown has a dragonfly mug, there are cushions, wall plaques, a brooch, all with dragonflies on. I am wondering if there is a connection with the books that Brendan has written.

It's in one of the books that Brendan wrote about the Brown(e)s.
    Earlier in the final book, The Granny, Dermot Browne explains death to his son, Cormac, by means of a parable. He tells the child that death is like a grub, rising through the water of a pond to become a dragonfly. All the grubs in the pond wonder what lies beyond the surface. Eventually, one brave grub volunteers to climb a blade of grass to see what is there, and then to come back to tell the rest of them. He climbs until he feels the sun upon his back and then, a wondrous thing happens, he turns into a magnificent dragonfly, decked out in yellow, green and blue. He cannot go back to tell the others so, instead, he flaps his four wings and flies away into the sunshine with a big smile on his face. "So you see, Cormac," says Dermot, "that's what 'died' is. Your mammy has become a dragonfly." (The Granny p.140)

http://presbuteros.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/dragonflies-and-death.html

Something that must mean a great deal to him for the motif to be used so much.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in one of the books that Brendan wrote about the Brown(e)s.

http://presbuteros.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/dragonflies-and-death.html

Something that must mean a great deal to him for the motif to be used so much.

Brendan said in an interview that dragonflies remind him of his grandmother, so he must have been very close to her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    It's OK to watch but we had the Boxset of the first series and if you watch 2 or 3 episodes in row in gets predictable and less funny.
    Once a week in series is not so bad but I would not make an effort to watch it
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Brendan freely admits to "stealing" jokes from all over the place.....he's not even trying to claim they are original.

So the format is dated to the tune of thirty years, the jokes are stolen, the acting is bad and the tone is crass?

I really don't understand what the appeal is at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindbear wrote: »
    So the format is dated to the tune of thirty years, the jokes are stolen, the acting is bad and the tone is crass?

But you still watch it? :D
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The format is only really dated by Agnes and Winnie (every one else is happilly up to date with the times and even Agnes could recognise an Iphone 4s..;)

Some jokes are from others, some jokes you can see coming a mile off, Its how there delivered thats the key

If the tone is crass, then what the hell catagory would the likes of,The Inbetweeners,Fresh meat, friday night dinner, Trollied..(All of which I love too) fall into?

For me, this show, amongst all the audible and visual gags, left in outtakes, and at times, soppy sentimentality, has a heart and is not ashamed to show it. And I cant wait for the last episode tonight.

Oh and believe it or not some peoples homes are a bit antiquated, at least Agness is set to have a new kitchen..:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The complete antithesis of "modern" sitcoms in other words (which nobody watch because they are so unfunny)..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I always loved going to see this in the Pavillion... it works better as a stage show, its kind of lost the appeal on tv
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always loved going to see this in the Pavillion... it works better as a stage show, its kind of lost the appeal on tv
    I'm not so sure. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is because I think it feels almost panto/stage like rather than a television show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is Brandon and Jennifer who plays Cathy.
    Do you know how old is Rory Cowan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is Brandon and Jennifer who plays Cathy.
    Do you know how old is Rory Cowan

Brendan is 57, Jennifer is 47, and Rory Cowan is 52.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan is 57, Jennifer is 47, and Rory Cowan is 52.

Rory looks old for 52....he could easily pass for 60+.

Jennifer on the other hand looks great for 47.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Trevor is older than Cathy then didn't realise that so it's Mark, Rory, Trevor, Cathy and Dermot and she said last week the first four all l arrived within four years.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Dermot is meant to be older than Cathy :confused:

Bizarre casting on this programme, what with Betty looking half the age of Mark and Dermot's wife being too attractive for him as well, maybe on the stage show version they all wore lots of make up or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Dermot is meant to be older than Cathy :confused:

Bizarre casting on this programme, what with Betty looking half the age of Mark and Dermot's wife being too attractive for him as well.

Dermot is the youngest he is 33
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Dermot is the youngest he is 33

So then why did Cathy say "I bet you were glad when I came along after three boys"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    So then why did Cathy say "I bet you were glad when I came along after three boys?"?

Mark, Rory, Trevor, Cathy, Dermot I just said that four posts back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I don't like the new kitchen.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That 'I have a huge penis' line made me LOL.

It was the way he said it.
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Mark, Rory, Trevor, Cathy, Dermot I just said that four posts back.

Oh right, I don't Trevor, is he an offscreen character?

EDIT: I see he's just turned up, he still looks younger than Cathy though :D
  • glaschelleglaschelle Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Hollywood who plays Dino is 33!! I don't know if it's because he was in Take the High Road for years, but I thought he was much older! He looks more like 43!
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This series has been great in general but it was an awful episode to finish on. Almost like it was trying too hard to be funny rather than letting it come naturally which the other episodes managed so effortlessly. Still, every great series has a dud along the line and I'm sure others loved it - it just wasn't for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That 'I have a huge penis' line made me LOL.

It was the way he said it.

And his "I bet you'd like to see more of us" :D:)
  • 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was hilarious! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the new kitchen.

It didn't last long anyway :D