So your thread title is "2 BT Sports Channels" why? :confused:
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....because the third channel is ESPN.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 BT sports channels (plus ESPN which already exists)
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should know more by the end of this week (as BT's results are released on Friday).
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also BT Sports 1 & BT Sports 2 have been licensed for DTT. Presumably replacing Sky Sports 1 & 2 on the Freeview EPG.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/updates/042013
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Also BT Sports 1 & BT Sports 2 have been licensed for DTT. Presumably replacing Sky Sports 1 & 2 on the Freeview EPG.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/updates/042013

How do you know it is a Licence for the DTT platform, it could cover all platforms?

It just says that the Licence award is a DTPS one, a Digital Television Programme Service
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTPS licences are only issued for DTT.

If you are running a satellite/cable service you are issued a TLCS by Ofcom.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this on BT Vision forum:
    Similar message to the last one i.e We're changing the way we provide Sky Sports, upgrade to Infinity if you want to keep them.

However, the small print on the back says.."those customers that have not responded or upgraded to BT Infinity will start to lose Sky Sports 1, 2 and ESPN from 3rd June."

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1824416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looks like SS1 and 2 are being replaced with BT1 and 2 on DTT (Like I said wooo!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So looks like SS1 and 2 are being replaced with BT1 and 2 on DTT (Like I said wooo!)

Well it looks like Sky Sports may be going from DTT but I wouldn't consider this definitely means BT Sports will replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Have got Licences for them, and own two slots, BT have said customers will need infinity to still receive Sky Sports, it is looking a strong possibility. (okay from the sounds of it I don't think they will be on DTT for that long a year or 2 at most)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT
    BT Have got Licences for them, and own two slots, BT have said customers will need infinity to still receive Sky Sports, it is looking a strong possibility. (okay from the sounds of it I don't think they will be on DTT for that long a year or 2 at most)

BT have owned licences for these 2 streams for a number of years its nothing new!

While they may save a little money by using their own content I am far from convinced this fits in with their stratagey. It looks like BT are willing to loose customers by telling them they need Infinity for Sky Sports. They make more money by selling tripple play Broadband, Telephony and Subscription TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member

Has this been sent to just customers that are infinity enabled or all customers?
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it looks like Sky Sports may be going from DTT but I wouldn't consider this definitely means BT Sports will replace it.
    They are. My friend who is a manager at BT told me last night. Sky Sports 1 & 2 are leaving DTT to be replaced by BT Sport 1 & 2.

Sky Sports will be delivered via IPTV to those still wishing to have it.
  • Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/09/bt-premier-league-broadband
    and other articles dont mention Freeview or TopUp TV. Can we assume negotiations betwen BT and TUTV are continuing?
    Cheers
  • Rolland_BrownRolland_Brown Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    whats happening are top up tv carrying bt sport or what and whats the price please anyone ?
  • Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    If the answer was known I would not have posted my
    question an hour before yours!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From top up

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Negotiations with BT are on-going and we are confident that a positive outcome will be reached in the very near future. Full details have yet to be finalized.

Kind regards,
    David.
    "
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which at least admits it's to do with BT, where there last message said it was nothing to do with BT
  • duffman25duffman25 Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well I hope bt do the right thing and come to top up TV and virgin if they don't with all the money they spent they would be lucky to last longer at all.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Why would it necessarily be to do with BT?
    Top Up (or Virgin) need to offer BT the right price!

I expect things will become clearer until after the takeover of ESPN by BT is given the green light and completes. It's difficult to finalise a deal if part of the package is not yet under your control.

I would suspect the reason BT can't offer its non-Infinity broadband customers ESPN via DTT beyond 31st July at the moment is because it relies on a Top Up TV stream and there's no deal yet. Any deal between Top Up TV and BT may allow each other's subscribers access to each other's streams as per the current agreement.

Any such deal would be to BT's convenience, as it allows its non-Infinity customers to access all three channels until such time when Infinity rolls out to enough people to justify closing the DTT service, or when the current carriage agreement with Arqiva ends. Top Up TV would continue the status quo until such time came.

If a deal fails to materialise, then it may well be all over for Top Up TV. Until then, I think forum members might be getting ahead of themselves with talk of what's happening with the ESPN stream beyond July.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT could just stop offering them ESPN if Top up don't play ball, so B is in the driving seat the whole way
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=bsaoc&original_referer=http://www.bsaoc.com/
    BT says that BT Sports 1 & 2 will replace Sky Sports on Freeview EPG and ESPN will only be available online; tough for TUTV who may close

Ray good at freeview/topuptv stuff.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    BT could just stop offering them ESPN if Top up don't play ball, so B is in the driving seat the whole way
    And that's where the competition authorities would start to get interested. And that's where regulatory clearance to the deal comes in. It's not necessary as clear cut as you may think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    which at least admits it's to do with BT, where there last message said it was nothing to do with BT

Since the slots that Sky Sports is on is owned by BT in the first place you would have to completely stupid to deny any involvement with BT :D