Do I need an HD cable?

I got a new Samsung UE32EH5000 HD TV yesterday. Previously I had an 11 year old low definition set.

I subscribe to Sky but not their HD service.

With the free HD channels I'm not noticing any difference in picture quality from the non HD channels.

Supposedly Satellite Freeview is built in to the TV but I haven't come across it in the TV menu. So, do I need a HD cable running from my Sky box to the TV to get the HD picture? Or does the fact I'm getting a picture on the free HD channels mean that that is as good as the picture is going to get?

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you will need an HDMI cable, to get the picture in HD.
  • asmasm Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    To get HD you will need to use an HDMI cable. If you are using scart or composite video it will not be HD.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the HD picture from the Sky box needs a HDMI cable connection between your Sky+HD box and the TV. This is an alternative connection to the SCART cable you are probably using right now.

Once you have your HDMI cable installed then you'll need to switch to a different AV channel to watch Sky. One thing about HDMI; it doesn't switch over the TV automatically like you might have been used to with SCART. So remember to disconnect the SCART cable which is now redundant and then press the AV or source button on your remote to select the input where the HDMI cable is attached.

Your TV having Freesat built in is something entirely different. Freesat uses a different TV tuner. The TV needs another connection, but this time it's a wire from the satellite dish to the TV. It has to be a direct connection. You can't split one of the existing satellite feeds going to the Sky box. I would suggest though, that if you are watching via Sky then this extra connection is probably redundant because there's very little if anything extra via Freesat that you aren't already getting via Sky.

Ebay and online retailers sell low cost HDMI cables. As long as the spec' states something along the lines of HDMI 1.4, or High Speed (either with or without Ethernet) then you'll be fine. Expect to pay no more that £5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers. I'll get the cable then.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Whatever you do don't pay too much for one......A cheap one works the same as an expensive one...A cheap supermarket branded one is good enough if you can't wait and order one from Amazon for a couple of quid.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just repeat the advice you have already received. When you connect your new HDMI cable, disconnect the scart lead and throw it in the bin - or it will take precedence over the HDMI cable and you still won't see HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't pay too much for one......A cheap one works the same as an expensive one...A cheap supermarket branded one is good enough if you can't wait and order one from Amazon for a couple of quid.

^ This

you can get a HDMI cable from poundland will give the same picture quality as a £50 one from Currys
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as well a unplugging the scart cord, once the hdmi is in place and you are viewing the sky picture through it, make sure the Sky box is configured to output HD pictures - eg 1080i mode. If your using it on scart now, chances are the box is only sending out 576SD pictures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    as well a unplugging the scart cord, once the hdmi is in place and you are viewing the sky picture through it, make sure the Sky box is configured to output HD pictures - eg 1080i mode. If your using it on scart now, chances are the box is only sending out 576SD pictures.

Thanks. I hadn't done that configuring but it turned out it was already at 1080i. Where it says Scart Control should I have that at off? And what about Scart Video Output? Does it matter now about that?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I hadn't done that configuring but it turned out it was already at 1080i. Where it says Scart Control should I have that at off? And what about Scart Video Output? Does it matter now about that?

Whatever setting you have the scart will output 576i. The setting only affects hdmi. If you aren't using the scart any scart video output settings won't make any difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    To see any difference between SD and HD depends largely on the distance at which you are viewing the TV, even with the correct cables and set up. See the thread I started on this subject at Digital Entertainment Services/Satellite/Freesat+ Recorders/HD v SD
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    MJD314 wrote: »
    To see any difference between SD and HD depends largely on the distance at which you are viewing the TV, even with the correct cables and set up. See the thread I started on this subject at Digital Entertainment Services/Satellite/Freesat+ Recorders/HD v SD

Even at SD viewing distances you still get a better picture from HD, as it uses more bandwidth - just that you can't see the HD detail (which is what HD is).
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to point out, the OP's telly does not have a Freesat tuner.
    It has a Freeview HD tuner, and to watch that they will need to connect it to a terrestrial aerial.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I am very disappointed by the advice given to the OP, I thought there were people here who knew their onions.
    Anyway, OP you need this HDMI cable and you need to replace your power lead.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Have to say I am very disappointed by the advice given to the OP, I thought there were people here who knew their onions.

Am glad you are here to point the op in the right direction :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Am glad you are here to point the op in the right direction :)
    Well, it's usually chrisjr that points them in the right direction, but I guess he is on holiday.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Has no one thought that he will already have an HDMI lead?, assuming he has a Sky HD box? - one comes with it.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    :D Are those honestly genuine items, or just a spoof for the benefit of techies?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    :D Are those honestly genuine items, or just a spoof for the benefit of techies?
    Why don't you buy one and let us know!
    There was some guy who posted in GD last year who claimed to have a PhD and was involved in making some of the russ andrews products. Certainly these items have been referred to before by the knowledgeable posters who frequent this forum.
  • cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to this, I replaced my scart with a HDMI lead and picture quality on the none-HD channels was also significantly better.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyber_dav wrote: »
    Further to this, I replaced my scart with a HDMI lead and picture quality on the none-HD channels was also significantly better.

Good stuff.

Those £2k HDMI cables are worth every penny. Just make sure you also spend at least £1k on a remote control as that will improve the picture even more ;)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good stuff.

Those £2k HDMI cables are worth every penny. Just make sure you also spend at least £1k on a remote control as that will improve the picture even more ;)
    And don't forget a wooden panel to sit your kit on to vastly improve the sound quality.

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=4056

Bet you can get the same effect from a couple of quid off cut at B&Q :D
  • cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good stuff.

LOL! I'll take your word for that, mine cost me a fiver from Amazon!
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just make sure you also spend at least £1k on a remote control as that will improve the picture even more ;)
    I can't be bothered correcting this. Just want to say that if it was a dig at proper system control and those who see the value of it then you're so so very wrong, and I'm not referring to the silly comment about picture quality.