LG Nexus 4 officially announced

1106107108109110112»

Comments

• tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Come on Google 4.3 cant be far away now!
    If you are confident enough to unlock your bootloader and install the TWRP* recovery, you can have the leaked 4.3 stock installed on your Nexus 4.

Although to be fair, having done so myself, there isn't too much difference between 4.2.2 and 4.3. The data constantly cutting itself off from one mast bug hasn't been fixed.

* - I say TWRP as from when I tried it, Clockworkmod cannot currently get root to stick on 4.3.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although to be fair, having done so myself, there isn't too much difference between 4.2.2 and 4.3. The data constantly cutting itself off from one mast bug hasn't been fixed.

I matters to those wanting the latest thing. And once they have 4.3, as soon as 4.4 gets a mention, a few will then start telling everyone how bad HTC are.
    Strange how it all works.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reality, the wait for new versions of Android matters less and less. Really, the only front-facing changes between 4.2.2 and 4.3 is the new gallery and camera software - pretty much everything else is background or under-the-hood. Bug fixes and improvements seem to be batted out through Play Services these days, which can happen at any time rather than waiting for a new Android release to be scheduled; and with a lot of the "integrated" parts of Android (such as the keyboard) being not-so-integrated any more, allowing asynchronous updates too, it hardly matters at all.

That said, we're all still excited to see what Key Lime Pie eventually brings :)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are confident enough to unlock your bootloader and install the TWRP* recovery, you can have the leaked 4.3 stock installed on your Nexus 4.

* - I say TWRP as from when I tried it, Clockworkmod cannot currently get root to stick on 4.3.

oddly my N4 is the only Android phone i have owned that i have not fannied about with :)
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oddly my N4 is the only Android phone i have owned that i have not fannied about with :)

But that is the only reason to get a Nexus. Only joking it is a great phone stock or not. For me I unlocked the bootloader and flashed CM10.1 the night I got it. Paranoid Android is my favourite now and offers much than the Nexus 4 build of Android.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Likewise. I just wanted a great Android phone that works without all the manufacturer "enhancements". I'll choose my own add-ons thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    But that is the only reason to get a Nexus. Only joking it is a great phone stock or not. For me I unlocked the bootloader and flashed CM10.1 the night I got it. Paranoid Android is my favourite now and offers much than the Nexus 4 build of Android.

With the other 4 or 5 android phones i have had i have to flash them to get working like the Nexus 4. When i unlocked the bootloader on my Xperia S i just relocked it and gave it up as a bad job, what a heap that needed a reboot every day where as my N4 goes weeks between reboots.

I have been tempted don't get me wrong :D but ill wait until the official support drys up :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likewise. I just wanted a great Android phone that works without all the manufacturer "enhancements". I'll choose my own add-ons thanks!

Not half, it seems to me that it is all the manufacturer customisation that knacker the job up and destabilize Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the other 4 or 5 android phones i have had i have to flash them to get working like the Nexus 4.
    The vast majority of ROMs screw up your phone.
    Loads praise the latest ROM, maybe without ever using, until you read through the hundreds of comments and see small niggles like..........

No SMS, no working microphone, no Wifi.

Strangely, I've never had any problem with a phone 'as is'.

'Working like the Nexus 4'. Now what does that mean. I dread to think.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else find that TV Catchup is jittery with the Nexus 4 when on 3G but not on Wifi? Seems to happen even when on full 3G signal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Loads praise the latest ROM, maybe without ever using, until you read through the hundreds of comments and see small niggles like..........

The Nexus 4 is the nearest android phone i have had that comes close to the stability and reliability of iOS, my handset has been impeccable.

Not too sure if your latest ROM comment is with regard to the build of 4.3 that is floating about? If so then you will also know it was a test build lifted from a phone bought on Craigs List.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 4 is the nearest android phone i have had that comes close to the stability and reliability of iOS, my handset has been impeccable.
    All mine have been impeccable too. There was more badly written apps in the early days but developers are improving.

DIY ROMS are the main problem and best left alone by the majority. They are there at hand to ensure your phone is never declared obsolete.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

I agree that the vast majority of ROMs screw your phone up - manufacturers ROMs that is. When you consider how much better most phones run with modified stock ROMs it puts Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG to shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Placebo. The battery life improvement claim is usually negligible or a dramatic let down.

The other thing is generalisation. Specific issues are a good reason to change yet no one ever seems to give proper reasons. A bit like rooting, the pros and cons are usually avoided for simple generalisation.

I always liked both HTC's GUI and Samsungs. There are sufficiently similar to be a negligible change from stock.
    And why has a tiny bit of GUI personality given way to conformity?