Karl Urban on Dredd Sequel: It’s not off the agenda.

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
Finger crossings, as love Dredd film. And Karl Urban is the Dredd!

Karl Urban has been discussing the possibility of a sequel to Dredd, and says that despite the film’s relatively poor box office showing, there could yet be scope for a follow-up.

Made on a budget of $45 million, the film grossed just $35.6 million worldwide, meaning that a sequel had initially looked unlikely. However, according to Urban, there may yet be demand for a second film...

“Interestingly enough, I did have breakfast with Alex Garland this morning,” says Urban. “It’s not off the agenda. Clearly everyone has woken up to the fact that an audience has found this movie and loves it.”

“It’s entirely possible, and if people want to see another instalment then they should be vocal about that, because it can happen. The power of fandom can resurrect projects. In fact, that’s what happened with Star Trek. They weren’t going to do a third season until fans did a letter writing campaign and they continued that series.”

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/karl-urban-talks-dredd-sequel

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. With "only" a $10 million loss, it's not like it completely tanked I suppose. Maybe they'll hold off for a while to see if it continues to make money with international DVD sales?

I suspect that if any sequel is greenlit thought, it would probably be with a greatly reduced budget, which could potentially hamper it rather than enhance it. Still, keeping my fingers crossed because I did like the first one and I do agree that Urban really did nail Dredd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Interesting. With "only" a $10 million loss, it's not like it completely tanked I suppose. Maybe they'll hold off for a while to see if it continues to make money with international DVD sales?

I suspect that if any sequel is greenlit thought, it would probably be with a greatly reduced budget, which could potentially hamper it rather than enhance it. Still, keeping my fingers crossed because I did like the first one and I do agree that Urban really did nail Dredd.

I thought that it had done quite well on DVD sales, and I imagine they might try and avoid some of the trapping the last film fell into if they were to try it again...
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting.

Does anybody know if DVD sales have recouped the loss and turned it into a profit or not?

Is it wishful thinking on their part though? I hope its based on something real which has made them feel that a sequel may be on the cards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Interesting.

Does anybody know if DVD sales have recouped the loss and turned it into a profit or not?

Is it wishful thinking on their part though? I hope its based on something real which has made them feel that a sequel may be on the cards.

I believe that it did comparatively well when released on DVD/Blu Ray, but i doubt that it will have sold enough to put it into a profit, i doubt it'll have even broke even yet. Remember that the $45 million figure being quoted is only the production budget, that's not taking into account the advertising and other costs. Most films don't see a profit until they've doubled or tripled their production budget, which Dredd will be nowhere near doing (yet).
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame. Thought it was a decent enough film even though I was never into Dredd/2000AD.
    I think a lot of people weren't expecting much and decided to see the film by 'other' means rather than going to the cinema.

Maybe someone could answer here as I don't want to wade into the minefield of the comics section.
    Is Dredd...
    ...psychic? Just the way I read into the film seems that way?
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sequel is not going to happen - my opinion. I do think DREDD is going to come back again one day (maybe after 2020) in another attempt at a reboot. But a sequel to the current one just sounds very unlikely.

By the way, someone on DS posted this link a few days ago. It's a 27 minute Judge Dredd fan film called JUDGE MINTY. You can watch it here: LINK
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Maybe someone could answer here as I don't want to wade into the minefield of the comics section.
    Is Dredd...
    ...psychic? Just the way I read into the film seems that way?

Good thought, but after 20 years on the streets, it always based on gut feelings.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only saw it belatedly on Blu-Ray and even then I only bought it cos is was v.cheap on release... about a tenner in Asda I think. I was completely surprised at how good it is and I'd hope that the disc sales will gradually tot up to make the film profitable and thus make a sequel viable.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It doesn't quite work like that, though. The entire box office receipts don't go to the studio. They get eaten up by everyone in the supply chain. eg. distributors and cinemas. The production costs also don't include marketing costs like advertising, so there will actually be a few million more on top of the budget that the studio will have spent.

Generally they say you need to make at least twice the production cost at the box office for the studio to make a profit. In which case, Dredd tanked pretty badly. However its not impossible for films to end up turning a profit on DVD sales. It just takes a lot longer to make the money back.

Whilst I'd like to see another one and its not unlikely that the minds behind it might be attempting to put a new pitch together, I think its highly unlikely any studio will greenlight it. Its a shame, because I did enjoy the film and we get so few "old school" adult action films nowadays.

The only way I can see a studio willing to give it a go is if they agree to make it a PG-13/12A certificate, in order to pull in a larger audience. If that were the case, I think I'd rather they didn't bother and just left us with the one we got.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i watched it on blu ray and loved it,if there is a sequel i will go cinema to give it support
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a very versatile actor, very menacing and impressive in Riddick, funny as Bones, took me a while to put all the roles together and realise it was the same bloke.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wasnt he in second LOTR too?
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    He's a very versatile actor, very menacing and impressive in Riddick, funny as Bones, took me a while to put all the roles together and realise it was the same bloke.

Yep very good versatile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    wasnt he in second LOTR too?

Well he was actually in the 2nd and 3rd ones as Eomer.
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of movies that didn't do well theatricaly but found an audience on home video. The original Austin Powers being a great example that was soon turned into a very lucrative movie franchise with the sequels. I think it'd be worth the effort with Dredd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Karl Urban and really enjoyed Dredd so I would love it if a second movie was made.

But at the moment, it doesn't look like the finances stack up which is a shame.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's worth the effort to pursue a franchise.

They got so much of it spot on with the tone and feel, and Dredd looked as perfect as he could possibly be.

I put the box office problems down to one thing. The story was just far too basic. And that's it. Go up a tower and catch a criminal, and that was the plot of the film.

I think that with more care on the script they could do great things with a franchise.
  • spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Maybe if they hadn’t made it so hard to find a 2D version of it then it would have had more success in the cinema?

Having it as an 18 limited the audience as well, even though it was great to see an action film not watered down to a 15 or 12A.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spubbbba wrote: »
    Maybe if they hadn’t made it so hard to find a 2D version of it then it would have had more success in the cinema?

true, although i can understand the thinking - the extra revenue from 3D probably meant more to them so they held off on the 2D release. maybe if they had put both versious out at the same time it would have performed better?
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Not usually a fan of these comic book adaptations, but Dredd was one of the best and I thought Urban excelled in the role, so I would definitely look forward to a sequel.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that it was a comic book story that dropped you in the middle of an average day was inspired. Imagine a Batman film that dispensed of all back story and picked up with Batman in the middle of a case!
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    The fact that it was a comic book story that dropped you in the middle of an average day was inspired. Imagine a Batman film that dispensed of all back story and picked up with Batman in the middle of a case!

Inspired or a poor choice for attracting casual fans (which a film based on a not very well known superhero, with an 18 certificate would have to be incredibly good at to be a success.)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's worth the effort to pursue a franchise.
    My feeling also. The comics have a lot of source material. It has the potential to be a good, long-running and profitable franchise if they get the formula right. That probably means spending less money (and going 2D would help there), and lowering the rating to 15 so a bigger audience can see it.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    My feeling also. The comics have a lot of source material. It has the potential to be a good, long-running and profitable franchise if they get the formula right. That probably means spending less money (and going 2D would help there), and lowering the rating to 15 so a bigger audience can see it.

If they were to drop it to a 15 would it piss off the hardcore fans who want to see Judge Dredd skinning people alive and whatnot?

Also, no studio would bite for a 15. I think if they wanted to get financing it's PG-13 or broke now. Several PG-13s have been violent enough to warrant 15s though...
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they were to drop it to a 15 would it piss off the hardcore fans who want to see Judge Dredd skinning people alive and whatnot?
    Well it's time the fans grew up. (*)

Seriously, if it's a choice between 15 or no film, a 15 ought to be acceptable. It allows "strong violence, frequent strong language, portrayals of sexual activity, sexual nudity, drug taking". I think they could include people being skinned alive, for example, albeit without being quite as graphic as an 18. Alien is rated 15 in the UK, for example, with the chest-burster scene.
    Also, no studio would bite for a 15. I think if they wanted to get financing it's PG-13 or broke now.
    PG-13 is an American rating, and they don't have 15. If it's PG-13 in America and 15 here, that could be OK. If it's PG-13 in America and 12A here, then I do think that would be too tame. A 12A may not have "a very dark or unsettling tone" and is very limited in its sex and violence.

----
    (*) Supposedly what Stallone said, when told fans wouldn't like him removing his helmet.