Teenage boy -stretch marks.

KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My son who is 15 has developed stretch marks across his back just below the rib area.It started off with just one 2cm line last year, and now he has maybe 10 which are purple.:(

He is very athletic, has never had a spare inch of fat on him in his life, and they have developed in a really odd area. its not as if his back has suddenly got muscly and I could understand why the skin might stretch!:confused:

I am just bemused as to why he has them. If and when I have to take him to the docs for anything important I will ask about them, but anyone got any bright ideas??:)

Comments

• ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    It's normally just a side-effect of growing and they'll tone down, but if you're worried about it best to get a GP to look at them...
  • caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, he's obviously just grown a lot rather quickly - stretchmarks are more common in teenagers than you might think.

They will eventually fade to thin silvery lines which are barely noticeable, but if he's self-conscious about them meantime Bio Oil and Palmers Cocoa Butter range for stretch marks are supposed to be very good.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 9,689
    Forum Member
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    My son who is 15 has developed stretch marks across his back just below the rib area.It started off with just one 2cm line last year, and now he has maybe 10 which are purple.:(

He is very athletic, has never had a spare inch of fat on him in his life, and they have developed in a really odd area. its not as if his back has suddenly got muscly and I could understand why the skin might stretch!:confused:

I am just bemused as to why he has them. If and when I have to take him to the docs for anything important I will ask about them, but anyone got any bright ideas??:)

He is growing, that's all! Now is the time to make sure he moisturisers on a regular basis, stretch can only be removed by laser and then not even guarantee of removal but with oil and or cream they will fade as another poster has mentioned. He could also look at increasing his omega 3 intake in his diet!

:)
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I know all about stretch marks, I have plenty!:eek: But at least I know why I have mine! Being overweight and following pregnancies! deep joy!

My son is a smidgen over 6ft 1, and yes has grown a fair bit in the last year or so, but its just the odd location of the stretch marks that has me bewildered!:confused:

My son isnt bothered about them, as he's not the one who sees them! :)
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I know all about stretch marks, I have plenty!:eek: But at least I know why I have mine! Being overweight and following pregnancies! deep joy!

My son is a smidgen over 6ft 1, and yes has grown a fair bit in the last year or so, but its just the odd location of the stretch marks that has me bewildered!:confused:

I *think* that part of the body is a relatively common place for boys/men to get stretch marks!:) especially guys who work out.
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, weird. But some lads grow a lot at that age - I was about 5'4 at the start of year 10 and by the time I was 16 (beginning of year 11) I was about 6' :o

It'll sort itself out.
    ohmygosh wrote: »
    I *think* that part of the body is a relatively common place for boys/men to get stretch marks!:) especially guys who work out.

Yes, provided he's physically fit and healthy - which he seems to be - I wouldn't worry much.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just nature, I don't know why we all want to be 'perfect'? Not directed at you op.
  • JosiepopJosiepop Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's normal, get him some bio oil, it will help them fade out through time.
    My 16 yr old has stretch marks on his thighs and upper arms
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    It's just nature, I don't know why we all want to be 'perfect'? Not directed at you op.

We are attracted to physical perfection, it would suggest that the person is healthy, all the better for reproducing with!

Unfortunately THATS just nature too!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't waste your money on Palmer's or Bio Oil. I've tried both and they've done nothing for my stretch marks. :cry:
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My teenage son got big stretch marks up the small of his back. It was just due to his growth spurt.

I would recommend Bio Oil. Its a bit on the pricey side but it really faded my son's marks and you wouldn't know they were there if you just casually looked at him now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son was exactly the same - thin as a rake, not an ounce of spare flesh on him - but stretch marks in the same place as your son. He just seemed to have a major growth spurt!

They dont bother him and I agree with the poster who said the oils etc dont work. They will fade in time.

My daughter had them too - also on her boobs!!!!!

If you dont make a 'thing' about them then he wont be bothered either.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies!:)

Its good to know that other people have experienced the same thing.

Boychild isnt that bothered by them, he's too interested in working on his pecs!:rolleyes::D
    Forum Member
    Let him (though we weren't shown the gym until end of year 9 at school, even though my voice was still high then :S) - provided he doesn't overdo it whilst he's growing he won't harm himself and the better fitness will always be good for him!

Weirdly, I probably grew quicker than him at that age and never seemed to get them :confused:
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    Let him (though we weren't shown the gym until end of year 9 at school, even though my voice was still high then :S) - provided he doesn't overdo it whilst he's growing he won't harm himself and the better fitness will always be good for him!

Weirdly, I probably grew quicker than him at that age and never seemed to get them :confused:

I believe it to do with an array of factors including genes! U just got lucky mate:p:D
  • hobnob_monsterhobnob_monster Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had stretch marks on my back for a short period when I was growing up. Nothing to worry about - they'll fade completely in time. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    birdsong wrote: »
    My teenage son got big stretch marks up the small of his back. It was just due to his growth spurt.

I would recommend Bio Oil. Its a bit on the pricey side but it really faded my son's marks and you wouldn't know they were there if you just casually looked at him now.

it works wonders, i had them on my legs and ar*e :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is common but for some reason not talked about in the growing process, there has been a fair few people caught out wondering if this is normal or not. I think it should be put into the leaflets along with hair in strange places, voice dropping and finding a new friend to play with.
  • GoodMikeyGoodMikey Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like my stretch marks, sign of manliness!
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    This is common but for some reason not talked about in the growing process, there has been a fair few people caught out wondering if this is normal or not. I think it should be put into the leaflets along with hair in strange places, voice dropping and finding a new friend to play with.

Excellent point. I had no idea youngsters could get stretch marks in this way and we ended up going to the doctors because my son was worried about them.

Stretch marks were the last thing he needed at the time and I wish there had been information about them as you say so he at least knew they were common to youngsters his age.