TNA Wrestling on Challenge TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New thread for a new channel.

Sorry if a bit previous but thought we might as well make the change ASAP. :cool:

Previous Thread: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1339167

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    lets keep this thread alive and at the top.

I'm really looking forward to this; nowi don't really need a sky subscription. Its quite promising!
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    Challenge? Random, that's a channel for game shows, TNA isn't a game show? unless they're changing their scheduling...
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Considering Russo's booking, being on Challenge alongside Roy Walker might by apt.

"It's good but it's not right!"
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuthStar wrote: »
    Challenge? Random, that's a channel for game shows, TNA isn't a game show? unless they're changing their scheduling...

They're changing- and going on freeview- on February 1st.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you have to assume that challenge will re-brand to a degree because TNA will stick out like a sore thumb on a channel devoted to gameshow repeats.

That said, the fact that they've secured a slot on freeview is massive. Obviously you can't compare ratings with the wwe, since they're behind a paywall but I think the true comparison will be if casual fans desert wwe for TNA purely for the fact it's on freeview.

Obviously this could all change when TNA's contract actually expires. Haven't yet seen any indication that this move equates to a new deal.
  • daniel2015daniel2015 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you have to assume that challenge will re-brand to a degree because TNA will stick out like a sore thumb on a channel devoted to gameshow repeats.

That said, the fact that they've secured a slot on freeview is massive. Obviously you can't compare ratings with the wwe, since they're behind a paywall but I think the true comparison will be if casual fans desert wwe for TNA purely for the fact it's on freeview.

Obviously this could all change when TNA's contract actually expires. Haven't yet seen any indication that this move equates to a new deal.

On the tna uk facebook it says that challenge has the ppvs and xplosen

Surely if sky where going to drop tna at some point they would not bother with this programming.

And surely with there been extra programming it must be a new deal??
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys,

Would you like the Bravo thread locked of just left to drift off into the distance?

Mike
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quizmike wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Would you like the Bravo thread locked of just left to drift off into the distance?

Mike

lock it off with link to here.
    thanks
  • Jerry BelvedereJerry Belvedere Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Brilliant. Now we can also decide to not watch oiled up men in pants and tights, taking part in homo-erotic fake 'fights' instead of not watching repeated game shows from 20 years ago.

Feb 1st = the day I remove channel 20 from my channel list.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,702
    Forum Member
    I have maintained all along that Challenge would be a good fit for TNA.

Under the Virgin ownership Challenge trialed some live sports including poker and darts as well as adding monster trucks, Robot Wars and even a motoring show.

As a channel showing just gameshows/quizshows Challenge has reached the end of its life. They can't secure any more content that will rate, the big quiz/gameshows that have aired on the main 5 channels are just not available to buy. A couple of years back they tried to get a whole raft of shows to freshen up the channel and all they could get was Golden Balls (this was confirmed on the Challenge forum by the program buyer).

Add into that the very valuable Freeview slot and the fact Sky would not want to give up a show that can rate 100,000 per week to a rival Challenge was the only fit.

It may seem like a strange choice at the moment, however Sky have said they are investing in Challenge and that is seen by the TNA deal, not only for Impact but the PPVs and Xplosion.

I also expect the rest of the channel to have more of a general entertainment maybe even built around TNA.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant. Now we can also decide to not watch oiled up men in pants and tights, taking part in homo-erotic fake 'fights' instead of not watching repeated game shows from 20 years ago.

Feb 1st = the day I remove channel 20 from my channel list.

In other words, you're not going to watch a programme that doesn't appeal to you.

Makes sense.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it makes sense, said all along TNA would not appear on Sky branded channels. Although with Sky3 being rebranded, I do have to question why it wasn't put on this rather than Challenge. I can only assume the rebranded Sky3 will continue to be repeats and Challenge will be revamped in actually showing new content. Either way a good move considering the freeview element.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woo hoo we have lift off ... so glad I created this thread now.

Hopefully Dixie will give us a 5 minute long highlight package at the start of the first iMpact of 2011 in the UK so we know whats going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matty125 wrote: »

Hopefully Dixie will give us a 5 minute long highlight package at the start of the first iMpact of 2011 in the UK so we know whats going on.

No need Matty, as Challenge is going to show ALL the episodes we have missed before the new ones, so I would presume that we would get an impact a night before the normal weekly iMPACT shows.
    Forum Member
    I noticed they seemed to have removed the fact that Tuesdays were the show date for Impacts??
  • KeyboardWarriorKeyboardWarrior Posts: 38
    Forum Member

Don't know if you may have missed it in the other thread but they are going to show all the Impacts that didn't air over here. Fantastic stuff.

Edit, beaten to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh then thats good to hear but you will have to let me know because I may forget Hopefully they put them in the right order. . And does that mean Genesis too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great new for us TNA fans.I think Sky may be turning Challenge into a action sports channel rather than quiz shows,as they have Gladiators UK and US,ninja warrior and now TNA.We might even see WWE this week(long shot):p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh then thats good to hear but you will have to let me know because I may forget Hopefully they put them in the right order. . And does that mean Genesis too?

According to Sky, they are playing Genesis too.
  • KeyserSozeKeyserSoze Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a shame it's not going to a channel that will be in HD, as would have been nice to have that for the first time, but on the other side of the coin, having it on a Freeview channel is a bonus, and should open up a new potential audience who don't subscribe to pay channels.

Wonder how long we have to wait until Sky announce the timings and schedules as to when this all takes effect from. Wouldn't imagine it would be too long after the 1st Feb, as everything seems to be happening then!

If the Sunday PPVs air here on a Wednesday, and iMPACT! on a Saturday, just like they used to on Bravo historically, then I'd be happy with that!

PS .. and Rest in Peace to the "TNA on Bravo" thread, you've served us well dear friend :)
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    They're changing- and going on freeview- on February 1st.

Oh cool, I'm glad they've found a place on televsion, Glad Xplosion/PPV are airing on the same channel aswell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    If PPVs were live, or the day after, I'd cry with happiness.
    Forum Member
    If PPVs were live, or the day after, I'd cry with happiness.

The PPVs have been confirmed for Wednesdays.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    The PPVs have been confirmed for Wednesdays.

and Wednesday's used to be boring, woohoo :D
This discussion has been closed.