Top 100 Mega Drive games

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://retro-sanctuary.com/TOP%20100%20Megadrive%20GAMES%20page%201.html.
Came across this list . I agree with most of it. I would have included Marcos Magic Football and Jewel Master though.
What do you think any games you would include or take out?

Comments

• Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that a top 100 as in the order or just a best 100 games list?

If the former I stopped reading when it had Golden Axe at 100.... that's a top 10 game for me...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Is that a top 100 as in the order or just a best 100 games list?

If the former I stopped reading when it had Golden Axe at 100.... that's a top 10 game for me...
    Yeah I thought GA there was a bit odd I guess its just the guys preference.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Columns was a great game in it's own right with it's own tactics and playstyle."

Superfluous apostrophes kill me
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mega Drive had loads of great platformers. Sonic 3 was an amazing game, as was Earthworm Jim and Worms.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Comix Zone really deserved to be up in the tens, rather than place 43. A great game design as well as technically impressive.

Still, it's a nice list and I think I'll be going down the cellar this evening to dig out more than a few games.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would definitely nudge both Golden Axe and Bonanza Bros into the top 25. Used to love Wiz & Liz too.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    I think Comix Zone really deserved to be up in the tens, rather than place 43. A great game design as well as technically impressive.

Still, it's a nice list and I think I'll be going down the cellar this evening to dig out more than a few games.

Eek, you've just reminded me that I never finished that. Couldn't stop his girlfriend from drowning:o

Golden axe, played the sequel to that to absolute death and knew every funny glitch in the game. One time, we bounced death adder into the air and right off the screen using one of Tyris's magic attacks.

He never did come down and we had to switch the game off after that:o
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonic 2 would be my number one. Didn't see Flashback (unless I missed it) that would be in my top ten for sure.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Sensible Soccer
    Road Rash
    Rolo To The Rescue
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a very good list, no Desert Strike.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a very good list, no Desert Strike.
    Yes there is.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    "Columns was a great game in it's own right with it's own tactics and playstyle."

Superfluous apostrophes kill me

Superfluous is my favourite word !:D

I hope that list wasnt in order !
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shining force was my all time fav, on this list it's at 54 so that's not too bad. I rated it higher than Shining Force 2 which was number 8.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with road rash also sonic 2 and 3 were fantasic games. The gaming world misses Sega consoles.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sensible soccer? The graphics may have been simple, but the gameplay was great.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    No sensible soccer? The graphics may have been simple, but the gameplay was great.

Can't believe it wasn't on the list either, superb game!
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that list reminds me how fantastic the megadrive actually was ... WOW!!! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    It was Jungle Strike on the list not Desert Strike. I remember quite a few of these.

Is it just me but as consoles get more sophisticated control wise that gameplay suffers on the average games?
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    Forgive if I'm mistaken, but I failed to see an entry for Sonic 2 on that list. Surely some mistake?
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    that list reminds me how fantastic the megadrive actually was ... WOW!!! :cool:

It was a stonking machine. And the simple hardware meant that it was very easy to get good results from.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love playing SNES and Megadrive games, pure gameplay.

Today's games are far too short and have far too many cut scenes which I am not a huge fan off.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Today's games are far too short

A MASSIVE Majority of Mega Drive games can be completed in under Three Hours, those Rose Tinted Glasses are sure amazing. :p It was only really RPGS that stayed around longer.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Tatsujin (Truxton), Super Monaco GP and Gynoug are disgraceful omissions.

Also Strider is top 10 material, phenomenal conversion, not 51!!. Overall it's a very poor list.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would LOVE for Microsoft to buy Sega.......or purchase the rights to the gaming catalogue and licenses for new games.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_video_game_franchises

Imagine a new Golden Axe, Toejam, Shinobi, Streets of Rage....Comix Zone, Wonderboy

Super Monaco GP with great AI, and multiplayer

Headhunter, Shenmue, Yakuza with the new power of the future console, could be epic

Shogun: Total War 2........would be fabulous too

Panzer Dragoon would LOOK amazing
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I would LOVE for Microsoft to buy Sega.......or purchase the rights to the gaming catalogue and licenses for new games.......

That's TERRIBLE, even though it was once considered, I'm glad it didn't, SEGA have recently been on an upwards trend, they treat PC gamers right, and are doing very good with their choices recently, especially with the fall of THQ, SEGA has picked up some big name licences to have under their control now.

True enough it would be nice if they did more regarding their other IP's that haven't seen the light of day in decades!