Is Game of Thrones worth watching?

loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got them all recorded on my sky plus and I watched two episodes but it was a bit of hassle to get into mainly as I was watching it because I had to for the hype of it and tbh my attention was elsewhere. Also one episode wasn't recorded and I thought I'm not going to watch it on the Internet anyways. And then they started on sky1 and I recorded the first two episodes and I Wondering if I should keep them (I've still got both seasons recorded) and watch as every I look everyone loves this show so I don't want to feel like I've missed a great tv show.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch it. Its awesome I love it plus lots of sex in it if you like that sort of thing :p
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's most definitely worth watching, one of the best shows on TV atm even with the changes from the books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the show, though it's definitely something you will have to concentrate on. There is so much plot and storylines so it's not really something you can have on in the background. Though I think it's worth the effort :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This.

Just rewatched the beginning of S1 after watching all of it and reading the 1st book. There is so much in that first episode.

If you just have it on in the background while you browse t'internet etc then it's not going to make much sense tbh.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch it. Its awesome I love it plus lots of sex in it if you like that sort of thing :p

^^ This :)
    Cadiva wrote: »
    It's most definitely worth watching, one of the best shows on TV atm even with the changes from the books.

^^ That :D
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I love the show, though it's definitely something you will have to concentrate on. There is so much plot and storylines so it's not really something you can have on in the background. Though I think it's worth the effort :)

^^ and this.

Watch it...for the love of god...watch it. :D
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Yes! Excellent show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Yes. Watch it. Its one of the best television shows around at the moment.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    I've got them all recorded on my sky plus and I watched two episodes but it was a bit of hassle to get into mainly as I was watching it because I had to for the hype of it and tbh my attention was elsewhere.
    If you happen to like all this "sword and sorcery" stuff, then you'd already be watching GoT. However, if (like me) it leaves you cold, then no: it's not worth watching.

I watched the first few based on all the publicity it was getting, but it wasn't to my taste. It sounds like it isn't a "natural" for you either and it's extremey unlikely you'll suddenly have a "eureka!" moment and realise that you love all this sort of stuff but you didn't know it. So no amount of urging from the fans will help - if you just don't like it there's no point forcing yourself to watch it - it won't make you a better person, or a hit at dinner parties. It's only TV: there's plenty of other programmes you'll like better.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,219
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    If you happen to like all this "sword and sorcery" stuff, then you'd already be watching GoT. However, if (like me) it leaves you cold, then no: it's not worth watching.

I don't normally like "all this sword and sorcery stuff" and I love Game of Thrones! :p

It is very heavy going though and I don't advise trying to watch it all in one go. It usually takes me a week to recover from the shock of each episode.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The writers have done a terrific job of condensing George R. R. Martin's doorstop novels into a manageable tv-friendly form.
    Lavish production values and a cast who can recite cod medieval dialogue with a staight face make it great entertainment.
    Don't get too attached to any of the characters: death can strike from anywhere and at any time (like Casualty).:eek:
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    It's only TV: there's plenty of other programmes you'll like better.

Indeed. Some of them rather splendid, such as the ever excellent Dexter.

GOT is fantastic, compulsive, addictive TV... for those of us who appreciate the subject. But the same could be said by those who are fans, for example, of golf or tennis tournaments, which bore me senseless. Each to our own, I say.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    There were two many women getting their devil's dumplings out for my liking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I bought the boxset. Watched the first episode, and found it quite difficult to get through, and didn't bother watching any more for a few months. Then one day I picked it up again, and ended up watching the whole first season in one weekend. I love it now, it's an absolutely brilliant show.

I've also introduced a couple of other people to it, and heard nothing but good things from them. I don't think you have to be a fantasy fan to appreciate it at all, although of course, it probably helps.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rawr wrote: »
    I don't think you have to be a fantasy fan to appreciate it at all, although of course, it probably helps.

Absolutely true, there is, in actuality, very little of what I'd call "fantasy" in Game of Thrones. There is very little magic in the show, it's really a show about a feudal society with lots of power hungry families all fighting to be top dog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy Game of Thrones. It has the shock factor. The books are brilliant and for me the series does live up to the book (which is hard to do). Yes there are some changes however these have been done appropriately IMO.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

(filler)
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, absolutely. It's not a show that everybody can love and it can take a little patience getting used to the massive cast of characters. But its fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I don't normally like "all this sword and sorcery stuff" and I love Game of Thrones! :p

It is very heavy going though and I don't advise trying to watch it all in one go. It usually takes me a week to recover from the shock of each episode.

Normally I'm not a fan of swords and sorcery either, though to me GOT is not really a fantasy show at all. It's much more of a political show about the nature of power, its just occasionally they mention dragons.

My point is if you took out all the 'fantasy' elements, it really wouldn't change the plot that much. So I think there definitely is something for everyone.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with me im not fussed with the genre of a show, as long as it has a good story and good characters that keep me interested and leave me wanting more, thats all i care about.

so i rewatched the first episode late last night so there would be no distractions and i absolutely loved it, the time went so fast whereas before i found it to long and i took more notice of the storyline as well and now i cant wait to watch the next episode. plus im finding jamie lannister quite sexy:o
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    absolutely .

it takes a few episodes to get a handle on who's who , I watched the first 2 twice for that , and once you're in its brilliant .
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, takes a few episodes to get into due to the huge cast, but then I was absolutely hooked and I hate most TV:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Took me 2 attempts at getting through the first episode - but I tried again and was addicted. Fab show.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Hell Yes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like duh? Its ****ing amaze! Im literally dying for S3.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hated the first episode but from second show onwards I was hooked!