The Digital Spy Apprentice - Series 2 - Task Announcement Thread!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Hey, guys.

I'm back, haha. Thanks for not firing me, Anactoria! Commiserations to Justin for being fired - and it's okay, it's all in the past now and we can move on!! :) I do still feel that this originality thing was totally blown out of proportion because the main 'links' seemed to be the concept (which has never actually been done before in video game form - and if anything; having the release coincide with THG would be more beneficial.) and the food & drink thing - which I wouldn't say was necessarily a link because it's kind of a fundamental factor for a survival game.

Anyway - this is totally not like, a flame post or trying to make me look bitter (I'm sure it will anyway)... Its just I asked both Tyjet & Peter last night on msn (from looking at chatlogs) and they didn't really give proper reasons as to why it was this massive issue - with Tyjet stating the food and drink thing and Peter saying that the copy/paste quotation in the pitch was a problem despite being used to show that there were people out there who would be interested in the game. If you could clarify that'd be awesomesauce - and, I totally respect your decision in the end because its yours to make not mine, or anybody elses.

Also - I would like to apologize for lashing out. I don't really have an excuse but I have had the most stressful week EVER. (Losing a memory stick with 30+ pages of coursework on with the final deadline being in the following few days). I've literally had about 3-4 hours sleep every night this week (except for Friday night) and i'm still absolutely exhausted so when everyone was turning on me and scapegoating me I was really angry; so, apologies for that! I'll come back bigger and better next week! And, shockingly, for the first time in a while, i'll be around all of next weekend. :)

The originality thing wasn't a question of whether this would go down well with the public (though the fact that a Hunger Games game is allegedly in production probably wouldn't help that), or even one of whether this would work well as a game. I'm sure that a game where you have to outlive your opponents both through out-and-out warfare and through more strategic means (making alliances, collecting food) would work well - in fact, we all agreed that Viveza would win were we to base the task solely on realism.

However, what we wanted to see wasn't just a game that could realistically succeed, but also one that was clever and creative and made us sit up and take notice. And on that front, I think the whole team failed. In the past, I've thought 'ooh, a Hunger Games game would be fun' plenty of times. Your quoting from Gamefaqs only demonstrated that plenty of other people have thought this too. The concept might be workable, but it is not a new one.

Had we asked you to turn a popular franchise into a game, this would have been a great reworking, but what we wanted was something that demonstrated real thinking. So many people have come up with a videogame version of THG - and I know that the team worked to differentiate Elysium on the plot elements, but gameplay-wise, it still looked like a THG ripoff. If we ask for originality in a concept and we get something that anyone could (and has) thought of, then we're going to count that as a failure, even if it's a workable failure. We want you guys to show that you have more to offer, creatively speaking, than some user on Gamefaqs.

There, I'm done.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anactoria wrote: »
    The originality thing wasn't a question of whether this would go down well with the public (though the fact that a Hunger Games game is allegedly in production probably wouldn't help that), or even one of whether this would work well as a game. I'm sure that a game where you have to outlive your opponents both through out-and-out warfare and through more strategic means (making alliances, collecting food) would work well - in fact, we all agreed that Viveza would win were we to base the task solely on realism.

However, what we wanted to see wasn't just a game that could realistically succeed, but also one that was clever and creative and made us sit up and take notice. And on that front, I think the whole team failed. In the past, I've thought 'ooh, a Hunger Games game would be fun' plenty of times. Your quoting from Gamefaqs only demonstrated that plenty of other people have thought this too. The concept might be workable, but it is not a new one.

Had we asked you to turn a popular franchise into a game, this would have been a great reworking, but what we wanted was something that demonstrated real thinking. So many people have come up with a videogame version of THG - and I know that the team worked to differentiate Elysium on the plot elements, but gameplay-wise, it still looked like a THG ripoff. If we ask for originality in a concept and we get something that anyone could (and has) thought of, then we're going to count that as a failure, even if it's a workable failure. We want you guys to show that you have more to offer, creatively speaking, than some user on Gamefaqs.

There, I'm done.

Thank you for taking the time to explain in more detail. :)
    Forum Member
    This is just a quick note to say that as Saturday seems to work best for most people, we'll go with Saturday at 4PM as the provisional start for the next task. If anyone has any issues, please let me know.
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just a quick note to say that as Saturday seems to work best for most people, we'll go with Saturday at 4PM as the provisional start for the next task. If anyone has any issues, please let me know.

Hey thanks that suits great for me. :D
    Forum Member
    Hey everyone - there's been a slight delay with getting the task up, but I promise it will be posted as soon as possible!
    Forum Member
    Okay, I'm going to post the task in a few minutes, but before that, I thought it might be fun to play around with the teams a little...
    Forum Member
    Carlisle, you will be moving from Viveza to Reflections...
    Forum Member
    And Louise and Jess, you will be moving from Reflections to Viveza.
  • I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving Reflections for the first time :cry:

but hello Viveza! :D
    Forum Member
    This means that the teams for this task are as follows:

Reflections:
    Gav016 (Gav)
    xKatieLx (Katie)
    Carlisle156 (Carlisle/David)

Viveza:
    Satanel (Zak)
    Narutofan100 (Naruto)
    Strictly_Irish (Louise)
    I've Got Class (Jess)
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally get to work with Katie, the only one left in the process I haven't yet worked with! :)

Hey Gav & Katie and good to be back on Reflections. :D
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great! :)
  • NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to Team Viveza , Lousie and Jess!
    Forum Member
    For the first time, I'm also going to choose the PMs for this task.

Katie, you will be PMing for Reflections, and Jess, you will be PM for Viveza.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Reflections for life! Nice to be working with Katie still, and nice to be back with Carlisle! :)
    Forum Member
    Now, for the task announcement:

As you know, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee is coming up fairly soon, and there's a lot of excitement surrounding it. For this task, you are going to take on the role of a small promotional company. Your company is competing to be hired by the Palace to put together a week of activities and events to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. You should aim to gain maximum publicity for the Jubilee, and you will have a large (but not unlimited) budget to do this.

For this task, you will have to do the following:

- Come up with a theme/overarching concept for your week of events, and write a pitch briefly explaining why this would be ideal
    - Figure out a detailed schedule of events. You should have at least one event on each day, culminating with a large party on the final day. Most of these events can be either private or public; however, the last event on the list should be one that members of the public can buy tickets for. This schedule should be the centrepiece of your final plan, so be as creative and detailed as possible.
    - Who are you going to get involved with your promotional campaign? You can have up to three celebrity sponsors; figure out who you'd like, and explain why you've chosen them.
    - Compose a script for a TV commercial advertising the last event on your list.
    - Come up with three items of merchandise that members of the public can purchase to commemorate the events. You don't have to design these; just tell us what they are and how much they will retail for.
    - Write an evaluation, looking at how successful your week would be at promoting the Diamond Jubilee, and at any potential weaknesses in your campaign

The deadline for this task is 6PM Monday. The outcome of the task will be determined by a public vote.

For this task, cheekypeter is unfortunately unavailable, so Tyjet will be following both teams. Good luck!
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    Reflections for life! Nice to be working with Katie still, and nice to be back with Carlisle! :)

Agreed nice to be working with you Gav and it's great to finally work with Carlisle. Also thanks, Ana for making me PM. :D
  • ShellmanShellman Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now, for the task announcement:

As you know, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee is coming up fairly soon, and there's a lot of excitement surrounding it. For this task, you are going to take on the role of a small promotional company. Your company is competing to be hired by the Palace to put together a week of activities and events to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. You should aim to gain maximum publicity for the Jubilee, and you will have a large (but not unlimited) budget to do this.

For this task, you will have to do the following:

- Come up with a theme/overarching concept for your week of events, and write a pitch briefly explaining why this would be ideal
    - Figure out a detailed schedule of events. You should have at least one event on each day, culminating with a large party on the final day. Most of these events can be either private or public; however, the last event on the list should be one that members of the public can buy tickets for. This schedule should be the centrepiece of your final plan, so be as creative and detailed as possible.
    - Who are you going to get involved with your promotional campaign? You can have up to three celebrity sponsors; figure out who you'd like, and explain why you've chosen them.
    - Compose a script for a TV commercial advertising the last event on your list.
    - Come up with three items of merchandise that members of the public can purchase to commemorate the events. You don't have to design these; just tell us what they are and how much they will retail for.
    - Write an evaluation, looking at how successful your week would be at promoting the Diamond Jubilee, and at any potential weaknesses in your campaign

The deadline for this task is 6PM Monday. The outcome of the task will be determined by a public vote.

For this task, cheekypeter is unfortunately unavailable, so Tyjet will be following both teams. Good luck!

Yay, Public Vote!:p
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd time Jess Vs Katie as PM's :D
  • annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This task looks exciting, am looking forward to seeing what the teams come up with :)
    Forum Member
    Shellman wrote: »
    Yay, Public Vote!:p
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    2nd time Jess Vs Katie as PM's :D
    annie24601 wrote: »
    This task looks exciting, am looking forward to seeing what the teams come up with :)

Thanks for the viewer interest!
    Forum Member
    This is just a quick reminder that the deadline for this task is 6PM today, and both teams should have everything posted by then. After 6PM, viewers will be free to vote for their chosen team by PMing me.

Also, I'm not sure yet when the boardroom for this task will take place - ideally late afternoon tomorrow, but it may have to be Wednesday (before the real show), depending on RL commitments.
    Forum Member
    Both teams have now finished posting what they've produced, and viewers should feel free to ask questions of the teams, as well as sending me their votes via PM. (If you want to give reasons for your vote, I would appreciate that, but it isn't necessary.)

Good luck to both teams!
    Forum Member
    The boardroom for the latest task will take place at 5PM tomorrow. Thanks so much to the viewers for all the votes so far, and to anyone who hasn't voted, please do! Voting will close just before the boardroom begins tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    Thanks again to those who've voted so far! If anyone hasn't voted and would like to, now is your chance.