A bird has flew down my chimney and is stuck behind the fire. Any ideas what to do?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who would i be best calling. I tried taking the fire apart but dont want to mess with it to much.

thanks

Comments

• sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Light the fire
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sgt.cryer wrote: »
    Light the fire

I was going to say that! :eek:

Sorry OP, I have no serious answer.

As for who you gonna call.........ghostbusters??!

*sorry, I'm getting my coat as we speak*
  • Cairy LuntCairy Lunt Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the fook did it manage to do that?

In asnwer to your question i dont know. Sorry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Council or gas supplier?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RSPCA advice line? They should be able to tell you what to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am loathed to give a serious answer but contact the RSPB?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until the noises stop and then try to ignore the smell ??

Sorry, jen, can you get my coat while you're there please.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It ain't going to go back up the chimney, that's for sure, so at some point you're going to have to move the fire. Also, be prepared for a very sooty and terrified bird in your living room!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bird in the hand is worth 10 in the fire?

I just made that up. Its crap isn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what type of fire is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drut wrote: »
    what type of fire is it?

probably a hot one
  • sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cairy Lunt wrote: »
    probably a hot one

At least you've got dinner sorted
  • colbocolbo Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    susie4964 wrote: »
    It ain't going to go back up the chimney, that's for sure, so at some point you're going to have to move the fire. Also, be prepared for a very sooty and terrified bird in your living room!

My dad had to do that once. In hindsight it would have made sense to lock the cat in the other room...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once had a bird come down my chimney.I had to move the gas fire to let it out. It then flew round the room crapping everywhere and landed on the top of the curtain rail.
    I opened a window and left the room for half an hour. When I went back it had gone out the window.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably a hot one

I'm drinking coffee here. :D:D
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor thing:( You'll have to unscrew the front of the fire and see what happens?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    This happened in our house about ten years ago. The bird was stuck there for a few days, and we fed it with seed and breadcrumbs and stuff like that (pushed under the gap at the bottom of the fire). It was a quiet little thing actually, apart from the occasional flutter you'd never have known it was there.

We called out an engineer and he had to take the fire apart to let the bird out (it promptly flew out of the patio window, apparently unscathed by the experience).

You're going to have to get it out at some point, alive or dead - it's not exactly going to be able to fly back up the chimney - so there's little point in putting it off. Call whoever services your fire and get them to sort it out; they no doubt get callouts for this sort of thing all of the time.

Get a grille put on your chimney so it doesn't happen again.

It could be worse. In days of yore, I'm told, birds would fall down the chimney onto an open fire, catch fire, and then fly around the room - you can imagine the chaos this caused. :D
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the fook did it manage to do that?
    Came down the chimney, presumably. Since they often nest in chimneys, I'd guess it would be a jackdaw. I used to live in an old house where jackdaws nested, and it wasn't all that unusual for a young bird to tumble down into the fireplace in spring or early summer. I once had one that came down into my bedroom fireplace and started fluttering clumsily (and sootily) around the room at about five in the morning.

I assume you're talking about a gas fire, Rampage?

Only options:
    1. Let the bird die.
    2. Contact someone to remove the fire.
    Incidentally, it's useful to have an old towel you can throw over the bird.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colbo wrote: »
    My dad had to do that once. In hindsight it would have made sense to lock the cat in the other room...

Yeah, but it did solve the problem of feeding the cat.:D
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's gas, TRANSCO will get it out for you, or at least they did for me about 10 years ago. However, you then need a gas engineer to put the fire back in.
  • colbocolbo Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    susie4964 wrote: »
    Yeah, but it did solve the problem of feeding the cat.:D

The bird did survive, but it was doubly petrified! Also we had additional sooty paw prints all over the furniture too!
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id have thought only the front needs moving.. no need to mess with the pipes, just the housing
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be inclined to ring the fire brigade and ask their advice. They are practical people and have dealt with most things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh Gas fire.

I just rang the Gas company who said it aint no problem of theres and to ring a Gas fire fitter to come out and take the fire apart. £80 quid one said :eek: , Im just going to ring the fire brigade see what thay say. I aint heard it for about 20 mins, before that i could hear it flapping about and sqweaking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have a roast bird.. for tea.. with 2 veg..