Leona Lewis Doesn't deserve to be dropped

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Leona Lewis is one of the voices of our generation. She seems to enjoy singing and is a great representation to all things British. Leona is an absolute professional, and throughout the years has handled the press very well, she has done what she set out to do...SING and Perform.

I think if she gets dropped it would be very sad indeed, as I actually believe this isn;t Leona's fault, she has some amazing song's in her catalogue, and IMO it would be a real loss to the UK music industry, as her voice is truely stunning. You may like your stars to be all confidence, flaunting the stage massive performances new relationships every week etc etc. However to me Leona should be what the music scene is about, someone who has a beautiful voice and loves to sing.

I wish her well in her career, I truly hope some label looks at her for longevity and not for this instant success todays' industry looks for.

http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-x-factor/125615-xfactor-winner-leona-lewis-on-course-to-be-dropped.html

Comments

• Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Leona's music and hope she isn't dropped, but I do hope Syco try and move her to another label and perhaps get her a joint deal or something.

I think if the singles for this era had been different, she would be selling alot more. Songs like Come Alive, Glassheart and Sugar all scream hits to me.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has been touring an awful lot... She's too talented to drop
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this happens, it'll be more down to a dispute with the label over "direction" rather than being dropped for poor sales. She's had enough success in the states to still be a bankable asset for any label so certainly have no doubts her people are probably already negotiating with another label already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't see her being dropped anytime soon; if anything this latest album will cause her label to go back to the drawing board and realize she has a great voice, she can convey emotion through a song and cause the public to buy into it however she needs the material and promotion to be able to do so.
  • kandinskikandinski Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a loss of confidence or something,but her voice has really deterioated lately.Its like she has forgotten how to use her range.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very well touring in other countries but she should do more in this country. After all it is the UK fans who voted for her in the first place!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,451
    Forum Member
    RickWhite wrote: »
    She has been touring an awful lot... She's too talented to drop

Talent really doesn't come into it. If she stops earning the record company money she'll go.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    I have no opinion on whether she should be dropped or not - I think far too many record labels don't take a long term view of their artists though.

She has two major problems. Firstly she appears almost devoid of almost any personality and secondly she has no musical direction - no one knows what "her" music is. She just covers any old song from any old songwriterr.

She has a good voice, no doubt (not my taste) but until she has an identity, she is destined to below par record sales and the occasional TV show appearances
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dropping her would basically mean Simon Cowell admitting defeat for the X Factor franchise. She is the first winner who has successfully being marketed outside the UK as the global X Factor phenomena.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talent really doesn't come into it. If she stops earning the record company money she'll go.

Exactly. Just because a few of her stalkers think she is the best thing since, er, the last best thing, if the yoof of today would rather buy Rita Ora or Jessie Ware.and she isnt making the record company money then its bye bye time. Then another record company who could maybe use her voice in a different, more "today" way would sign her.
    Forum Member
    Dropping her would basically mean Simon Cowell admitting defeat for the X Factor franchise. She is the first winner who has successfully being marketed outside the UK as the global X Factor phenomena.

Not really. She has been hugely successful throughout the world. Only a select few artists go on to achieve lifetime success.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her recent record sales suggest otherwise. She hasnt had any hit single since 2009 and her recent album has sold diabolical numbers.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. She has been hugely successful throughout the world. Only a select few artists go on to achieve lifetime success.

I wouldn't go that far. Leona has always been and will always be seen as a one hit wonder. Esp in America. The majority over there have no idea who she is. Her career is now over. She will never recover. At least divas like Mariah, Cher and Celine all managed big comebacks but the difference with them is that they always had a bigger reach, and to be fair more talent, Leona has zero appeal outside of her small minority of fans. Nothing will ever change this. Her personality doesn't exist. There is just no connection between Leona and the average music buyer. She doesn't even know what sort of artist she should be. Truth is she got very lucky with Bleeding Love. That song would have been a hit for anyone. It wasn't an exclusive hit just for Leona. She was just the girl who got the song.

I always said it would come to this and it has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but my point is, I imagine Simon Cowell would want to always associate Leona as his X Factor prodigy. I'm not sure how dropping her would still achieve that purpose. :confused:
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be the worst thing if Leona parted ways with Syco. And that's what they'll say - that she parted ways with them and they'll probably make out like it was on Leona's terms because Simon knows he bigged Leona up so much and they've used her as an example of what The X Factor can do for people for so long that, if they dropped her, the show would lose what little credibility it does have left.

It's sad to see Leona's career in this state as I'm such a big fan. The type of singer Leona is, she could have been around for years and years, still selling music 20/30 years from now but Simon doesn't care about that. He's more interested in making quick cash out of artists before their time runs out rather than investing in his artists enough and making sure that they succeed long term.

It seems no one (including Leona) knows what to do with her. They don't know which direction to go in, they don't know how to market her either. One minute she's a diva who's queen of the ballads, next she's throwing out dance songs, then covers of songs, then back to ballads/mid tempo's. And it all feels a little forced, like they're just throwing everything possible out there and hoping one of the songs becomes a hit.
    Syco either need to make Leona a priority again for the fourth album or let her go to another label who have a clear direction for her.
    Forum Member
    Yes but my point is, I imagine Simon Cowell would want to always associate Leona as his X Factor prodigy. I'm not sure how dropping her would still achieve that purpose. :confused:

Well it all comes down to what I said, not all artists have a lifetime of success and Leona has sold 20 million records so she's done ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it all comes down to what I said, not all artists have a lifetime of success and Leona has sold 20 million records so she's done ok.

so you're saying that because she has already done OK, it's OK that if she is dropped by Syco?:confused:
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    It might be good for her to be dropped, so she can sign up with a more worthy label. She is obviously talented but something isn't connecting...
    Forum Member
    so you're saying that because she has already done OK, it's OK that if she is dropped by Syco?:confused:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Artists don't have an infinite shelf life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    As a fan i don't see her getting dropped as a bad thing.
    Lets face it most Leona fans can see that Syco are clueless. There decision making regarding Leona is laughable.
    Only Clive Davis seems to know what he is doing regarding Leona. She needs to give him a ring and seek his wisdom.
    A new label and new start is what Leona needs. Also get rid of Modest and that crap PR company.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go that far. Leona has always been and will always be seen as a one hit wonder. Esp in America. The majority over there have no idea who she is. Her career is now over. She will never recover. At least divas like Mariah, Cher and Celine all managed big comebacks but the difference with them is that they always had a bigger reach, and to be fair more talent, Leona has zero appeal outside of her small minority of fans. Nothing will ever change this. Her personality doesn't exist. There is just no connection between Leona and the average music buyer. She doesn't even know what sort of artist she should be. Truth is she got very lucky with Bleeding Love. That song would have been a hit for anyone. It wasn't an exclusive hit just for Leona. She was just the girl who got the song.

I always said it would come to this and it has.

So you really think if Jesse McCartney released Bleeding Love it would be a massive worldwide hit? Don't be an idiot!

Beside the fact that he's barely known outside the US, it wasn't the song itself but it was definitely the way Leona sung it that made it a hit. People hadn't heard a big Diva ballard for a while and it was exciting for the prospect of there being a new Whitney or Mariah...the song itself is not that amazing.

Also that is simply not true she is seen as a one hit wonder. She's never had a hit as big as "Bleeding Love" but she has had other hits in the US and she still has a fanbase over there. Also the fact that she isn't enormously outgoing does not mean she lacks a personality. She is very passionate about music and animal rights. She does have opinions on many things but she's not going to shout her head off about it.
  • tpau21tpau21 Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she does get dropped and moves to another label with new management and better A&R people who know what to do with her on her album.
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please the only thing Simon gives a shit about is One Direction. And Olly Murs to a lesser extent.

I hope she is dropped because I fear Syco will get in a panic with her and we all know what happens when Syco panic...they throw out a covers album(see Westlife) and that will be the end of Leona.

Now Clive doesn't have Whitney (RIP) he may have more time to invest into Leona and may even take her on full time rather than just advice her and if anyone can turn this around for her, it's him.

She should change label, get new management, A&R people and work with new upcoming song writers & producers rather than ones she's worked with or who are churning songs out for everyone. She needs songs tailored to her as a person and her voice.

The next album really is judgement day for Leona and my god I hope to the heavens she delivers! I want epic music like Bleeding Love & Run not weak songs like Trouble & Lovebirds that could be sang by anyone. (I do like them but they're poor for her standards).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's crap.

that's harsh

she just doesnt get that she need more than an amazing voice to sell singles and albums :cool: