Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonbaby wrote: »
    Alex Curran has always struck me as a freeloader. She basically just sponges off her hubby for a living, ive heard other stuff about her as well. But I don';t want to be sued so I'll sssssh;)

yes, me too.....
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    Coughcandy wrote: »
    I have met far too many to run through here, but generally I have found, the more A list and settled they are, the nicer they are. Those worthy of a mention are ... The much missed Freddie Mercury ...

Wow! Tell us more about meeting Freddie... He hardly ever did screen interviews so it's difficult to know what the guy was really like. Apparently, very, very shy....
  • muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    yes, me too.....

Tee hee.... :D

Don't think Alex is as innocent as she makes out...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Have only really met a few celebs although I've seen or said hello to quite a lot more. Most were perfectly friendly but the ones that stick out as being really great are:
    Mark Wingett (DC Carver in the Bill) who was fantastic and made me feel that I was the most important person in the world.
    Graham Murty (Reading FC captain) who helped coach my daughter's football team when he was only supposed to be presenting an award at the end of the match.
    Andrew Marr - very funny and clever man.
    Lynda Bellingham and Julia Hills (2.4 children) were lovely when I met them after a show they did recently.
    The lad who plays Seamus in Harry Potter was really sweet to my 11 year old daughter and waited patiently while I took a photo of the two of them.

My OH said Anton Rodgers used to regularly pop in for a chat where he works and when he (Rodgers not my OH) died everyone was genuinely upset as he was such a great guy.

But for me the best one was the late Diana Dors who was wonderful and would often take me shopping as she didn't have a daughter to shop with!!
  • soapmaniasoapmania Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I've not met many "famous" people (well I say famous because I was only a little kid at the time. lol) but the rudest I have ever encountered was Mathew Marsden (one hit wonder & played Chris in Corrie, Sally had an affair with him??) Think the year was about 1997??

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OD9RGCJfCzk

I was at this concert outside Manchester Apollo (Mizz Magazine road show I think) there was a concert on that night & he happened to be one of the supporting acts...baring in mind my mum loved this guy!! & anyway I got to meet him.

I asked him if he could sign his autograph with my mum's name... he said "no I don't do personal autographs" C'mon now this was for my mum!!.. He was so rude & arrogant.. my mum was heart broken when I told her what an absolute ass he'd been to her daughter when I was just trying to do something nice for my mum.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was cycling through Hyde Park on my way to work last week on a cold wet morning and I had to break to allow a jogger to cross the path. It was none other than....Madonna! She gave me a nice smile and a cheery "good morning". Considering what most people say about her here it was a pleasent surprise.
  • Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    I was cycling through Hyde Park on my way to work last week on a cold wet morning and I had to break to allow a jogger to cross the path. It was none other than....Madonna! She gave me a nice smile and a cheery "good morning". Considering what most people say about her here it was a pleasent surprise.

Maybe she was happy you didn't instantly whip out an autograph book or a camera? It's probably really rare for her to encounter "normal" people who don't try and shout at her for a signature or photo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    yorkieUK wrote: »

Oh that's lovely :) Nice for anybody to do that actually- often one would expect a grunt at best :D
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imogen M wrote: »
    I've heard many tales of William Shanter and what a git he is. So much so that I really don't want to meet him if I ever got the chance. He's an absolutely awful convention guest by most accounts, to the point where people call any bad convention experiences with a guest a "Shanter experience" on one convention forum I lurk on.

Having met Shatner, well I use meeting in it's loosest sense, I can confirm that he is indeed a rude and arrogant arsehole.

I can quite understand why the original Trek cast despised him, and those who are still alive, still loathe him. Only Nimoy will talk to him.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Alex Curran has always struck me as a freeloader. She basically just sponges off her hubby for a living, ive heard other stuff about her as well. But I don';t want to be sued so I'll sssssh;)

Like, for example, how she's probably dreaming of a white Christmas? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    I can confirm your right...we cant stand her!!!:mad:
    anyway my list
    NICE
    Boris Becker
    Esther Rantzen
    Coleen Rooney(lovely girl)
    Rebecca Loos
    Depeche Mode
    Suggs(so down to earth)
    Chris Fountain
    Bob Mortimer(unlike vic)
    NOT NICE
    Alex Curran(though Stevie Gerrard is very nice)
    Ringo Starr..yes its all true hes an absolute berk.

I can imagine he is..I saw him interviewed a few times and he always comes across as a giant knob very wrapped up in his own world...I bet he's one of those surrounded by arse lickers living in fantasy land....
  • moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats right;)
  • sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I met Brian May, and he is an absolute gentleman. He's a very intelligent, charming man, a very deep thinker.

The Beverley Sisters sang at my wedding. My grandfather used to be their doctor, so my dad has known them for years.

I met Bobby Davro once - he was very nice and chatty.

Amy Winehouse, but not since she was a small girl. I used to teach her at Sunday School, and she was troubled even then, although she didn't wear her hair in a birds' nest, wasn't covered in tattoos and didn't have problems with substance abuse at the time...

My theory on whether 'celebs' are nice or not is that there are times when it's ok to go up to them and expect them to be all nice and charming, eg when they are 'on duty', and there are times when they should be left alone to be normal people, eg when they are out with their families or whatever. I'm sure there's nothing worse than being badgered by people asking for autographs when you're trying to have a meal with your husband/wife and kids. And yes, they are famous and in the public eye, but if they are famous for *something* rather than just famous for being famous or celebrities because they've been on Big Brother, then they should be afforded a certain amount of respect. A true musician/artist/scientist/whatever probably does what they do because it's what they have a passion for, not for the fame that comes with it. The ones that are snippy when cornered in public have a reason for being snippy.
  • Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having met Shatner, well I use meeting in it's loosest sense, I can confirm that he is indeed a rude and arrogant arsehole.

I can quite understand why the original Trek cast despised him, and those who are still alive, still loathe him. Only Nimoy will talk to him.

Based on what I have seen and heard, Leonard Nimoy comes across as a kind and intelligent gentleman.

George Takei is also lovely with fans. I met him last year and he's a delight - very charming and funny! :)

It's a real shame about Shanter. He's got one of the worst reputations I've seen for being a total git but his behavior toward his fans seems so unnecessary and almost cruel. There are so many actors who would kill to be so fondly remembered years after their career peaked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoughCandy, I am sooo ridiculously, majorly jealous of you meeting Freddie Mercury!!!

He is my No 1 hero of all time!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I met Dannii Minogue years and years ago and found her pretty nice. Mind you, I was a small child dressed up as a toaster so she maybe felt she had to be friendly.
  • will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met Alice Barry (Lilian from "Shameless") in a bar in Blackpool earlier this year! Very nice woman.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh come on! Give us a clue! :)
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amanda Burton was on the one show the other day and she seemed a right stuck up mardy moo..;)

Brilliant put-down, moonbaby. I like it! :p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sazuburns wrote: »
    I met Brian May, and he is an absolute gentleman. He's a very intelligent, charming man, a very deep thinker.

The Beverley Sisters sang at my wedding. My grandfather used to be their doctor, so my dad has known them for years.

I met Bobby Davro once - he was very nice and chatty.

Amy Winehouse, but not since she was a small girl. I used to teach her at Sunday School, and she was troubled even then, although she didn't wear her hair in a birds' nest, wasn't covered in tattoos and didn't have problems with substance abuse at the time...

My theory on whether 'celebs' are nice or not is that there are times when it's ok to go up to them and expect them to be all nice and charming, eg when they are 'on duty', and there are times when they should be left alone to be normal people, eg when they are out with their families or whatever. I'm sure there's nothing worse than being badgered by people asking for autographs when you're trying to have a meal with your husband/wife and kids. And yes, they are famous and in the public eye, but if they are famous for *something* rather than just famous for being famous or celebrities because they've been on Big Brother, then they should be afforded a certain amount of respect. A true musician/artist/scientist/whatever probably does what they do because it's what they have a passion for, not for the fame that comes with it. The ones that are snippy when cornered in public have a reason for being snippy.

Does this mean that former BB housemates etc should not be treated with respect? I'm sure they don't all spend their entire lives walking the street thinking to themselves 'who's looking at me' :confused:.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Oh come on! Give us a clue! :)

Wasn't that a clue enough, or are you being sarky? :D
  • sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Does this mean that former BB housemates etc should not be treated with respect? I'm sure they don't all spend their entire lives walking the street thinking to themselves 'who's looking at me' :confused:.

Why the heck would they enter the BB house in the first place for any other reason than so that people can look at them? The are a typical example of narcissistic people who want to be famous for nothing other than being famous, so yes, I would say they spend a great deal of their time thinking 'who's looking at me'.

I'm not saying they don't deserve respect, but talentless people who shout "look at me! Look at me!" can't really complain when people do.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not nice: I met Ronnie Corbett a while ago, IMHO the rudest person i have ever met, let alone celebrity. Arrogant with an unhealthy dose of small man syndrome.

Nice: I had the good fortune of having a drink with David Anders (Heroes, Alias), brilliant guy, down to earth and had all the time in the world for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sazuburns wrote: »
    Why the heck would they enter the BB house in the first place for any other reason than so that people can look at them? The are a typical example of narcissistic people who want to be famous for nothing other than being famous, so yes, I would say they spend a great deal of their time thinking 'who's looking at me'.

I'm not saying they don't deserve respect, but talentless people who shout "look at me! Look at me!" can't really complain when people do.

There have been well over a hundred housemates now. I would certainly not tar them all with the same brush. Some have quietly got back on with their lives. Still, they were once in the BB housemate so they don't deserve privacy now.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda Burton was on the one show the other day and she seemed a right stuck up mardy moo.Alex Curran has always struck me as a freeloader. She basically just sponges off her hubby for a living, ive heard other stuff about her as well. But I don';t want to be sued so I'll sssssh;)

Alex Curran is a model, and, she writes a column for the Mirror, so I can't really see how she sponges off her Husband.