Chris Evans controversy: Blown out of proportion

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    MikeBr posted: Chris said when introducing this that lots of nice people work at Radio 2 and that one of the best was David Jacobs who was an absolute legend.

Oh dear, I wonder what Murray Mint made of that! His hero Chris Evans praising David Jacobs as a legend and playing (in my mind) a delightful upbeat tuneful song by Maurice Chevalier, which no doubt Mint would describe as “****py” music.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atkins wrote: »
    I bet you wouldn't admit that in public.
    Er - this is public! Anyway, I even went to see them live - admittedly they were supporting Coldplay but I didn't hide the fact!
  • slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How small a minority?
    How many potential listeners between the age of say 60 and 110?

We don't know. I would suggest that it's a relatively small number.
    Then there are all the under 60s that would listen.
    It would pull listeners away from Classic FM, 5Live and 4 - maybe 3 as well..
    The existing pop fans of course still have radios 1, 1extra, 6 all the local stations and the commercials that play, broadly speaking Radio 2 pop from the last three decades - so I hardly think they will be disenfranchised.

Well, R1 and 1xtra don't particularly cater to more mature listeners, and I think people are entitled to expect that the BBC will provide a mainstream, popular radio station free of commercials, featuring the nation's most talented broadcasters. it's the least I expect for my licence fee.
    Anyway, if John Wright's suggestion of a daily Light programme for a couple of hours materialised, those pop listeners, who have it all their own way at the moment, would only lose a couple of hours each day - they could easily re-tune.
    Seems a fair and equitable arrangement to me.

Not to me, I must say - a minority interest programme in the middle of the daytime schedule of what has become a highly popular radio station .. no. That would be an awful way to treat the regular R2 listeners. I'm afraid we (ok, you and John) need to accept that time moves on, and accept that the past is gone.
  • John WJohn W Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slimjim wrote: »
    accept that time moves on, and accept that the past is gone.

The past? These artistes are recording/performing TODAY!

Katherine Jenkins, Stacey Kent, Claire Martin, Clare Teal, Madeleine Peyroux, Diana Krall, Michael Buble, Michael Feinstein, Russell watson, Michael Ball....
  • johnpettersjohnpetters Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=slimjim;38306925
    Not to me, I must say - a minority interest programme in the middle of the daytime schedule of what has become a highly popular radio station .. no. That would be an awful way to treat the regular R2 listeners. I'm afraid we (ok, you and John) need to accept that time moves on, and accept that the past is gone.[/QUOTE]

Slimjim, can't you see how unreasonable that position is?

What you are saying is because Radio 2 has deliberately chosen to blanket broadcast essentially the same music from early morning until the evening aimed at the lower end of the demographic, it is acceptable, in order not to upset the current listeners for an hour, to deny the other people, who equally pay their licence fees, any share of the pot.

That is the same logic as saying one race of people deserve freedom, riches and all that comes with it, whilst another is inferior and only deserves the crumbs that fall from the king's table.

Maybe an extreme analogy, I realise, but in essence true.

We are supposed to live in a class free, equal society where the interests of minorities are respected. Oddly it is people of the generation who fought Hitler to establish such freedoms who are amongst those most affected by the BBC's discrimination.

Isn't the status quo a dreadful way of treating the many older listeners.

I also don't think this would be a minority programme, if it was set up correctly.

As for the past - as John W points out, all those artistes and many, many more are active now, recording new CDs, touring etc. Its just that the media chooses to ignore them.

A prime time radio show could well make these genres mainstream again.

It happened in the 1950s with traditional jazz - a music that was already 30 years old. It happened with the Blues in the 60s.

Pop music does not always change into something new. Often very old forms of music can become the latest craze.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never understand why people have a thing about "the past". Blocking out everything in the past means you are going to be missing some good stuff. It's great to listen to music happening now but, seriously, it is so very narrow minded to think in this way.

Imagine never listening to Elvis, Buddy Holly, Ray Charles, Roy Orbison or even Mozart again. These people laid music down for us to enjoy FOREVER!

Open your mind. The present is good but so is the past and there is nothing wrong with listening to all those wonderful artists you enjoy who have now left this earth.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,872
    Forum Member
    EileenM wrote: »
    Oh dear, I wonder what Murray Mint made of that! His hero Chris Evans praising David Jacobs as a legend and playing (in my mind) a delightful upbeat tuneful song by Maurice Chevalier, which no doubt Mint would describe as “****py” music.

There was more this morning. David has recorded a Hello it's Friday insert and the Maurice Chevalier track was played again just after 9 o'clock as listeners had enjoyed it so much yesterday. Chris suggested that if David wishes to he could come up with a track every Thursday to be played on the show, said that would be "fantastic" and that David "knows music inside out."

Perhaps some more Radio 2 presenters on Scott's hit list might like to suggest tracks which would fit into the breakfast show to widen its musical base, and to rightly draw attention to the talented evening and weekend broadcasters on Radio 2.

Chris has also played Michael Buble this week who John W mentioned earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    There was more this morning. David has recorded a Hello it's Friday insert and the Maurice Chevalier track was played again just after 9 o'clock as listeners had enjoyed it so much yesterday. Chris suggested that if David wishes to he could come up with a track every Thursday to be played on the show, said that would be "fantastic" and that David "knows music inside out."

Perhaps some more Radio 2 presenters on Scott's hit list might like to suggest tracks which would fit into the breakfast show to widen its musical base, and to rightly draw attention to the talented evening and weekend broadcasters on Radio 2.

Chris has also played Michael Buble this week who John W mentioned earlier.
    Mike, you are quite right.
    Where I differ slightly with John Wright is that I believe all music should be played in mainstream shows. If you are to have the Breakfast format, why limit the music to 60s onwards? Yes the Evans show could be used to promote Russell Davies or Desmond as well.

On a local basis in Norfolk, Paul Barnes sometimes goes on to the daytime shows to promote specials which I'm sure attracts listeners otherwise unaware of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    I can never understand why people have a thing about "the past". Blocking out everything in the past means you are going to be missing some good stuff. It's great to listen to music happening now but, seriously, it is so very narrow minded to think in this way.

Imagine never listening to Elvis, Buddy Holly, Ray Charles, Roy Orbison or even Mozart again. These people laid music down for us to enjoy FOREVER!

Open your mind. The present is good but so is the past and there is nothing wrong with listening to all those wonderful artists you enjoy who have now left this earth.

Spot on Yorkie - I would of course include Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, Duke Ellington and many more....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member

Well said, Yorkie.
    Forum Member
    MikeBr said: There was more this morning. David has recorded a Hello it's Friday insert and the Maurice Chevalier track was played again just after 9 o'clock as listeners had enjoyed it so much yesterday. Chris suggested that if David wishes to he could come up with a track every Thursday to be played on the show, said that would be "fantastic" and that David "knows music inside out."

Yes, MikeBr, I was very pleased Chris played it again, in fact I emailed the show yesterday to thank them. (I saw Maurice Chevalier at the Palladium in the late 1960s and he was terrific). Any input from David Jacobs would be very welcome, as would anything to draw listeners to DesC and the Sunday evening shows. I liked the jokes about Jacobs Crackers!
    Well done, Chris.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the David Jacobs thing and CE... I think it's a bit like having Moira Stuart reading the news... a way of trying to attract the interest of a few more of the older age groups (TOG types)! ;) I doubt that CE has any genuine interest in David Jacobs tbh!

I read in The Guardian that Chris Evans lost 110,000 listeners in his last three months of his teatime show and Jonathan Ross has also lost quite a few listeners! I wonder what has happened to them! ;) Maybe some people don't like the fact that Jonathan's show is now recorded... or maybe they went off him after he was 'banned' for several months after his misdemeanor!!
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,872
    Forum Member
    Re the David Jacobs thing and CE... I think it's a bit like having Moira Stuart reading the news... a way of trying to attract the interest of a few more of the older age groups (TOG types)! ;) I doubt that CE has any genuine interest in David Jacobs tbh!

Having heard the show for the last couple of days I don't. On what is this doubt based?
    I read in The Guardian that Chris Evans lost 110,000 listeners in his last three months of his teatime show and Jonathan Ross has also lost quite a few listeners! I wonder what has happened to them! ;)

The supposed "lost" listeners may not even exist as discussed in this thread:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1212071
    Forum Member
    MrsRobinson said: Re the David Jacobs thing and CE... I think it's a bit like having Moira Stuart reading the news... a way of trying to attract the interest of a few more of the older age groups (TOG types)! ;) I doubt that CE has any genuine interest in David Jacobs tbh!

I feel more than happy to assume that he does actually have quite a bit of respect for David Jacobs and his past experience as DJ, actor, presenter etc. and altogether good egg. David may have a calming influence on him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I like Chris Evans on days where he

a) doesn't babble all over the records
    b) doesn't yell and shout in such a manic way
    c) doesn't call everyone "worm catchers"

because he's probably lovely!
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EileenM wrote: »
    MrsRobinson said: Re the David Jacobs thing and CE... I think it's a bit like having Moira Stuart reading the news... a way of trying to attract the interest of a few more of the older age groups (TOG types)! ;) I doubt that CE has any genuine interest in David Jacobs tbh!

I feel more than happy to assume that he does actually have quite a bit of respect for David Jacobs and his past experience as DJ, actor, presenter etc. and altogether good egg. David may have a calming influence on him.

I get the impression from bits I've heard on-air from other broadcasters at Radio 2 that he is well respected at the station. That doesn’t surprise me whenever I've seen him interviewed he comes across as a very nice gentleman.

As regards him appearing on Chris’ show – David has a lifetime of experience broadcasting - maybe he realises things evolve and is happy to support ‘the new guard’ just the way he was probably supported by others in the past. That's just a guess though.
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    What's there to not 'get'? It's a simple, family-friendly format that's designed to get people up and about with a smile or two. It's hardly difficult to listen to and neither is it cliquish or smutty like Chris' predesessor was.

If anything, it might start to sound repetitive fairly quickly but one of Chris' strengths has always been to recognise this before it's too late. I'm enjoying it.

That's probably it. I don't want family friendly stuff. I am happily childfree. The glorious thing about Wogan was that he was cliquish and smutty - and we adults loved him for it. There's nothing that caters for my tastes now.

I am basically unsociable in the morning, and Wogan woke us up gently. I still say that Chris isn't doing anything different to a handful of other stations doing tedious phone ins and audience participation stunts. I was bored by the second day.

Yes, I still like him as a person, but I would rather listen to him alone than a load of boring chavs desperate to be heard on the radio who really should have better things to do at that time of day. The regular features are boring too. If I want sport I will listen to 5 Live. It's also painful to have to listen to the same features every morning if your schedule means you only tune in for part of the show.
    Forum Member
    I have not got my radio turned up too high, but I've decided to listen to Jamie Theakston and Harriet Scott :)
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I get the impression from bits I've heard on-air from other broadcasters at Radio 2 that he is well respected at the station. That doesn’t surprise me whenever I've seen him interviewed he comes across as a very nice gentleman.

As regards him appearing on Chris’ show – David has a lifetime of experience broadcasting - maybe he realises things evolve and is happy to support ‘the new guard’ just the way he was probably supported by others in the past. That's just a guess though.
    I also like David Jacobs (and I also like Brian Matthews) and have listened to both guys for many years, but I had never ever heard Chris Evans mention David Jacobs whilst doing his other programme, which is why I think he's only mentioning him now to get on the side of the TOGS!!!!
    Forum Member
    I like the one he's replaced, now I like Jamie Theakston and Harriet Scott, and I like Johnny Vaughan and Lisa Snowdon. :) They're all grand!
  • John WJohn W Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also like David Jacobs (and I also like Brian Matthews) and have listened to both guys for many years, but I had never ever heard Chris Evans mention David Jacobs whilst doing his other programme, which is why I think he's only mentioning him now to get on the side of the TOGS!!!!

I'm pretty sure Evans has mentioned his respect for D Jacobs during his time on Drivetime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John W wrote: »
    The past? These artistes are recording/performing TODAY!

Katherine Jenkins, Stacey Kent, Claire Martin, Clare Teal, Madeleine Peyroux, Diana Krall, Michael Buble, Michael Feinstein, Russell watson, Michael Ball....

Don't forget James Last.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slimjim, can't you see how unreasonable that position is?

Can't you see how reasonable it is, John?
    What you are saying is because Radio 2 has deliberately chosen to blanket broadcast essentially the same music from early morning until the evening aimed at the lower end of the demographic, it is acceptable, in order not to upset the current listeners for an hour, to deny the other people, who equally pay their licence fees, any share of the pot.

Not at all. I would support a minority station for the old folks to listen to the Light Programme. The point is that these other folk
    That is the same logic as saying one race of people deserve freedom, riches and all that comes with it, whilst another is inferior and only deserves the crumbs that fall from the king's table.

Your analogy fails miserably. For example, I like jazz and progressive rock music, among other genres. But I don't feel that I'm an persecuted minority, merely because the BBC has to represents the interests of the listeners as a whole. The point is that a daytime programme dedicated to old showtunes, light jazz and American songbook standards has no place on a mainstream radio station during the daytime, when people expect to turn on their radio at work or at home and hear music that won't alienate them. Yes, not everyone will be alienated by those old tunes, but those who would want to listen are, I'm quite sure, a small minority - to the point where such a move would be disproportionate, and in opposition to the interests of the R2 listeners in general to an unacceptable degree.
    We are supposed to live in a class free, equal society where the interests of minorities are respected. Oddly it is people of the generation who fought Hitler to establish such freedoms who are amongst those most affected by the BBC's discrimination.

Please. You invite derision. That you're forced to grasp for a ludicrous image like this only betrays the extreme feebleness of your case.
    Pop music does not always change into something new. Often very old forms of music can become the latest craze.

Dream on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When you can show that someone has suggested "blocking out everything in the past", you'll have made a relevant point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you see how reasonable it is, John?
    No because it is UNREASONABLE by any yardstick.

Not at all. I would support a minority station for the old folks to listen to the Light Programme. The point is that these other folk
    Your second sentence doesn't make sense.
    Yes I think a better solution will be another station - but we don't have that.

Your analogy fails miserably. For example, I like jazz and progressive rock music, among other genres. But I don't feel that I'm an persecuted minority, merely because the BBC has to represents the interests of the listeners as a whole. The point is that a daytime programme dedicated to old showtunes, light jazz and American songbook standards has no place on a mainstream radio station during the daytime, when people expect to turn on their radio at work or at home and hear music that won't alienate them. Yes, not everyone will be alienated by those old tunes, but those who would want to listen are, I'm quite sure, a small minority - to the point where such a move would be disproportionate, and in opposition to the interests of the R2 listeners in general to an unacceptable degree.
    Again you are putting the interests of one set of listeners above the other. You are making a value judgement. One set of listeners is worth entertaining, the others can go and hang.
    It is not fair, it is not just and it is not following the station's remit.
    You have provided no reason why a variety Radio 2 with lots of different programmes wouldn't work - or are you saying that Joe Public are so musically narrow minded that if you feed them anything other than pop radio, they will automatically reject it?

You talk about people expecting to tune into music during the day that won't alienate them. What about me? What about John Wright or Howard or Eileen or any other poster on here who does not want to be force fed with pop.
    I'm sorry, but you seem to be taking a very self centred view point over this.