LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sealed-in batteries are the future of high-end phones, like it or not. Look at the One X, Lumia 920, HTC 8X, iPhone 5, Xperia T. It's only really Samsung holding out... for now.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Since I've seen this I've been looking at my iPhone like it's a piece of shit :D

It's a shame they aren't selling it in white, I like white phones.

FYI a white Nexus 4 was seen on a leaked Carphone Warehouse inventory (could be fake, but I don't think so), so if the colour makes all the difference then it might be worth holding out for it. But then again, how much longer will you be able to put up with that iPhone? :p
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No expandable SD slot though..... big mistake.

Amen. I've been waiting for this, hoping it would tick all my boxes to be my next phone. But alas, this isn't it.

For me, one of the biggest lures of the Android platform is upgradable memory. And this doesn't have it. And it doesn't even have a large amount of built in memory to compensate. Damn.

And it's a bit too big. And it's an LG. Double damn.

I guess my quest for the perfect phone to replace my ye olde 3GS continues.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason i will use it for is as a memory stick thats always on my person. So i can carry any data to/from work and home.

Steam installs are massive now a days :D.

I carry USB3 drive about with me for this purpose, I don't think I would code with SD card speeds as even good ones are about 10 times slower than USB drives.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    FYI a white Nexus 4 was seen on a leaked Carphone Warehouse inventory (could be fake, but I don't think so), so if the colour makes all the difference then it might be worth holding out for it. But then again, how much longer will you be able to put up with that iPhone? :p

I'm gonna wait a bit anyway until mid-December so hopefully it'll be out by then :)

If not, the black version is very nice anyway.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I've been used to a 16gb limit for a while now. Whilst I'd love more space it certainly stops me from filling my phone up with music that I never listen to. My choices are much more focused these days :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I've been used to a 16gb limit for a while now. Whilst I'd love more space it certainly stops me from filling my phone up with music that I never listen to. My choices are much more focused these days :p

I have 32GB on my iPhone but its mostly full of stuff I don't use, personally I think 8GB would probably do me.

My one problem is my music, ATM I use iTunes match and stream music, I will need to look for another similar service or just drag and drop the stuff i listen too as i need it.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    mtj wrote: »
    Sealed-in batteries are the future of high-end phones, like it or not. Look at the One X, Lumia 920, HTC 8X, iPhone 5, Xperia T. It's only really Samsung holding out... for now.

others too ;)

However does perhaps explain why HTC profits are tumbling while Samsung soar. Any way lets not go there again :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same...I'm used to my Galaxy Nexus, and since I have Google Music, I don't really use all the space up with the apps/games that I have. Even if I add the occasional movie or two there's still space to spare, so I think the 16GB Nexus 4 will suit me fine.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If only I had that willpower. My 32gb 3GS is perpetually crammed to capacity. Better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it. :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    My one problem is my music, ATM I use iTunes match and stream music, I will need to look for another similar service or just drag and drop the stuff i listen too as i need it.

As if on cue...
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobile-phone/3407758/google-brings-play-music-uk/
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16GB is sufficient for me. On my iPhone I have 2GB free and if I cleared some music out that I don't listen to, I'm sure that'll free me up a gig or two.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »

So that's like iTunes Match... but free. Nice!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    So that's like iTunes Match... but free. Nice!

Google Music is excellent. Play your collection from any browser on any computer or device.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice, the free Transformers movie from the Nexus 7 is now streamable on youtube using the same google login.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Stupid how excited I am about all of this. Can't afford to get both at the same time I have a HTC Wildfire so a couple years old now but I think I'd prefer a tablet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is ideal and free! I can't find a reason not to get this lol...

Also CEX will give me £172 for my ancient iPhone 4 according to their site which is ideal.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 4 looks very interesting, but weren't the rumors that there would be 3 new Nexus phones? Are we expecting another 2, or is this it until after Christmas?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 4 looks very interesting, but weren't the rumors that there would be 3 new Nexus phones? Are we expecting another 2, or is this it until after Christmas?

See my video.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See my video.

Did I miss something in the video?

I got the impression this will be this years Nexus Phone hence why it's just called the Nexus 4 to go with the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See my video.

So the three "new" devices are one existing tablet, one new tablet and a new phone? Sorry, I didn't watch all 15 minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google Music is excellent. Play your collection from any browser on any computer or device.
    How does it work?

Does it do that thing where it scans your hard drive, finds music, sees if it can recognise it and if there is a match in Google Music, allow you to stream it?

I don't fancy uploading 20k tracks even with a decent upload speed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    How does it work?

Does it do that thing where it scans your hard drive, finds music, sees if it can recognise it and if there is a match in Google Music, allow you to stream it?

I don't fancy uploading 20k tracks even with a decent upload speed!

the new version will scan and match, but the current one I just left their software running in the background uploading. No big deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    16GB is sufficient for me. On my iPhone I have 2GB free and if I cleared some music out that I don't listen to, I'm sure that'll free me up a gig or two.

And if you use Google Music you can save even more space. Have all your music saved online listenable from anywhere, and just set the stuff you really like as 'make available offline', music used to take up 50% plus of my memory, now it only takes 20% max thanks to the streaming. I think this is what Google want you to do in an ideal world anyway hence the tiny 8GB Nexus 4 :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    And if you use Google Music you can save even more space. Have all your music saved online listenable from anywhere, and just set the stuff you really like as 'make available offline', music used to take up 50% plus of my memory, now it only takes 20% max thanks to the streaming. I think this is what Google want you to do in an ideal world anyway hence the tiny 8GB Nexus 4 :p

This s why I hardly use any room now with iTunes Match, I no longer need anywhere near 32GB,