What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Me Before You was a warm and funny read but certainly overhyped (a 'modern classic' as some Amazon reviewers are dubbing it it is not).

Anyone read The Slap? I know it was massive last summer, my sister read it and she said it was full of unlikeable characters having sex, and no outcome as the slap didn't have a great impact on any of them.

It got such massive hype though, 'novel of the millenium' and suchlike! I'm not too keen on stories with surplus mostly unrelated characters, The Best Of Times only had a few different families but it took me ages because I hated the constant cliffhangers and switches.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Me Before You was a warm and funny read but certainly overhyped (a 'modern classic' as some Amazon reviewers are dubbing it it is not).

Anyone read The Slap? I know it was massive last summer, my sister read it and she said it was full of unlikeable characters having sex, and no outcome as the slap didn't have a great impact on any of them.
    It got such massive hype though, 'novel of the millenium' and suchlike! I'm not too keen on stories with surplus mostly unrelated characters, The Best Of Times only had a few different families but it took me ages because I hated the constant cliffhangers and switches.

Your sister is a wise woman. That is precisely what it was.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Just about half way through
    Massacre in Cumbria - Clare Leigh
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    My lover's Lover - Maggie O'Farrell
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Mark Billingham's "Scaredy Cat". Better than Sleepyhead, the 1st in Inspector Thorne books .. but still not fully won over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Craig Brown's "One to One". A 101 meetings between the great and the good .. its like being a fly on the wall on famous and some unlikely encounters .. A wide range of public figures from Hitler, Churchill, the Marx Brothers, Tchaikovsky, Proust, Hemmingway, Madonna, Chaplin, Monroe, Nixon, Rasputin .. great book great anecdotes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished "the Wind in the Willows" .. seen the film, cartoon, stage version .. but still a very satisfying read for children and adults alike.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,620
    Forum Member
    Stephen King's The Stand (on Audible). Enjoying it so far - love the depth of his characters.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Help... review here.
    I absolutely loved it!

http://teainteacher.blogspot.co.uk/

I loved it too
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished Tokyo by Mo Hayder,took a while to get going,but all in all,quite disturbing.A good read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished 'The Post-Birthday World' by Lionel Shriver.

It's a Sliding Doors kind of story. An American woman develops a yearly ritual with her husband of taking their snooker player friend Ramsey out to dinner on his birthday. One year her husband can't make it, and she has a situation where she could kiss him. The book splits then, into the world where she did kiss him and the world where she didn't.

I found it really absorbing. Plus as a snooker enthusiast I enjoyed the novelty of reading snooker player fiction! I started racing through it when I was three quarters of the way through, and now I'm sorry I rushed. I would thoroughly recommend it!
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Help... review here.
    I absolutely loved it!

http://teainteacher.blogspot.co.uk/

Oo I'm a third of the way through this and loving it.

Found this article very interesting though, in the light of the book's plot.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the Storm by Diane Chamberlain, an easy read after the Mirage Men being heavy going.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished The Child Thief by Brom. Bit was one of the most engrossing books I've read for a long time and the artwork is outstanding.

I'm about to start Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin, I've heard good things about it.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin Fashanu: The Biography - Jim Read
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read "The Help" last year. Adored it. Haven't watched the film yet though.

Currently reading "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picout. It is good, but I find a little drawn out. :I think I am getting bored of it as I have "Gillespie and I" by Jane Harries lined up to read next which I have been really looking forward to reading
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sidetracked by Henning Mankell

Having real trouble picking up anything other than Scandanavian crime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Broken Harbour" by Tana French. I adore her stuff and this one is currently keeping me well hooked. I do like the way a peripheral character from her previous novel becomes the main focus of the current one, and how you don't always get a complete solution to the mystery...somehow makes it more authentic as the police really don't solve everything! Always satisfying though.
  • Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson (on ibook) - loving it, though writing a little simplistic
    Interview with a Vampire - Ann Rice (on kindle) - liking it, though her writing requires concentration
    A Song of Fire & Ice Book 4 - G RR Martin (audio book) - liking it, too little Jaime and too much Cercei, so far... (plus some of the events taking place have me constantly thinking I might have missed a couple of chapters at the end of book 3, some things are not quite making sense)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trespass by Rose Tremain - very good so far.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    "Broken Harbour" by Tana French. I adore her stuff and this one is currently keeping me well hooked. I do like the way a peripheral character from her previous novel becomes the main focus of the current one, and how you don't always get a complete solution to the mystery...somehow makes it more authentic as the police really don't solve everything! Always satisfying though.

Is this her new book? I have not heard about it but I have loved ehr other books! Off to visit Amazon :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Is this her new book? I have not heard about it but I have loved ehr other books! Off to visit Amazon :D

Lol yep its her new one. :)
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been suffering from Readers Block!

After a lot of stopping and starting, I finally finished City Of Veils by Zoe Ferraris - a crime thriller set in Saudi Arabia. It didn't help that the author got bogged down in explaining the minutiae of life in a country she clearly detests. I'd have liked less of her views and more dedication to character and plot development.

Reading something lighter now: The Secret To Happy Ever After by Lucy Dillon.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished "How to be a Woman" by Caitlin Moran and have bunged a few more books on the Kindle.

Got ..

Quantum Thief
    Domain of the Dead
    The Amanda Knox Story: Murder in Perugia
    Bossypants
    TimeRiders: City of Shadows
    SkyJack: The Hunt for D.B. Cooper

and the other two books in the Millenium trilogy. So probably enough to keep me going until this time next year :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Halfway through re-reading part 2 of Storm of Swords by GRR Martin.