Windows 8 on a lap top

angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good afternoon. I am getting a new lappy on Monday, it comes with Windows 8. Will it be idiot proof? I love Windows 7 but not averse to the upgrade, so long as it is pretty straightforward. I'm not a total technical dinosaur but I'm not totally au fait with how it all works.

Any useful advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most obvious change is a lack of a start menu which was replaced with a touch friendly start screen. So your choice is you'll either get used to it or use some 3rd party programme that will give you the start menu as in W7.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might like to read selective sections of these articles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_8

This article lists the various utilities which revert the user interface to that of previous versions of Windows. These utilities tend to have options to make the computer boot in desktop mode instead of Metro mode, restore the Start button and its menu, and disable the Charm icons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much. The term 'steep learning curve' keeps coming up, it seems like it's just a matter of getting used to the way it works. Can't be any worse than Vista surely?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be any worse than Vista surely?!
    The user interface differences are vastly greater than with Vista. However, Win8 seems to be generally reported as being reliable, unless you run in to a hardware or software compatibility problem that gives the same types of hassle as with all previous versions of Windows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Good afternoon. I am getting a new lappy on Monday, it comes with Windows 8. Will it be idiot proof? I love Windows 7 but not averse to the upgrade, so long as it is pretty straightforward. I'm not a total technical dinosaur but I'm not totally au fait with how it all works.

Many thanks.

A great guide Ive seen used for teaching/learning Windows 8 is the Dummies Guide to Windows 8 ebook here;
    http://marketing.dell.com/Director.aspx?sid=3497&sky=AJ&pgi=10305&pgk=B6BTHTBD&eli=fFVgl7p3dEpCakhdhMTMtw%3d%3d

Also this youtube video is worth viewing;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E1UxI5I_jo
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Many thanks.

Windows 8 is irritating and best avoided. It is dumbed down to the point of despair.
  • robertcrowtherrobertcrowther Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Windows 8 is irritating and best avoided. It is dumbed down to the point of despair.

Have you even tried Windows 8?

Not that much different to Win7 and there are utils available that make Windows 8 look the same as Win7.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

I find Windows 8 better than Windows 7 - if you don't like the Metro UI part - don't use it. Download something like classic sheel and boot straight to the desktop.

I've found the OS underneath better then even Windows 7 was - it boots up quicker and even file transfers seem quicker and games/programmes install quicker.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're open minded, Windows 8 is a change but it's not that hard to pick up at all.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all your comments, I'm looking forward to getting my new laptop and getting my head around Windows 8.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can add a toolbar at bottom of screen that gives you a menu ... thanks to jimbo45 on another forum
    For those that really find a lack of start menu in W8 such a big problem -- well even WITHOUT using 3rd party tools you can make a feature that performs almost identically to Windows 7 start menu.

1) on the bottom taskbar right mouse click ==> toolbars===>create new toolbar
    2) enter %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in the select folder
    3) press the select folder button

Now in the bottom taskbar you'll see Programs with a >> sign

click on the >> and you'll see a list of your pgms in classical menu style -- what's difficult about that --you don't even have to go near the start screen / charms etc once you've booted.
    don't have (& won't get) windows 8 so presume it works!
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    just download a program called "classic shell" and it makes windows 8 look like windows 7 - almost everyone I know uses it
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ yes, that toolbar thing works.
  • advidadvid Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..just as a follow on to this enquiry from the OP...

..I use two laptops and a desktop PC (running Win7) all mainly for work and the 'more serious' side of computing :confused:
    ie. Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Photoshop ect. plus Googling when I need any info. Also a few forums that I use regularly (DS for instance)...
    I really only need an OS for opening a program as above and 'getting on with it'.... I do also have a Facebook and Twitter account but only use once a week - if that....:cry:
    Would an 'upgrade' to Win8 be of any benefit to me....if so - what does it do that I can't do or use now...?
    Forum Member
    advid wrote: »
    Would an 'upgrade' to Win8 be of any benefit to me....if so - what does it do that I can't do or use now...?

No, IMHO it wouldn't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    A great guide Ive seen used for teaching/learning Windows 8 is the Dummies Guide to Windows 8 ebook here;
    http://marketing.dell.com/Director.aspx?sid=3497&sky=AJ&pgi=10305&pgk=B6BTHTBD&eli=fFVgl7p3dEpCakhdhMTMtw%3d%3d
    I just had a skim through that - seems excellent, lots of good info. Thanks for posting the link.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you are already on w7, I don't think you'd see much of a benefit (as opposed to being on XP)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what does it do that I can't do or use now...?
    I guess the main thing is that Win8 can run Metro apps. Whether you consider that feature to be of any value is of course a matter of personal opinion.
  • advidadvid Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I guess the main thing is that Win8 can run Metro apps. Whether you consider that feature to be of any value is of course a matter of personal opinion.

...I've got enough apps on my Android phone and tablet... Can't see much use for them anywhere else.... (that's my personal opinion..)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Yeah and it looks ridiculous. It looks like a kids' toy :p Fine on a touchscreen but on a laptop or desktop the Duplo tiles look stupid.
    ...I've got enough apps on my Android phone and tablet... Can't see much use for them anywhere else.... (that's my personal opinion..)

Exactly. Apps are for phones. Programs or the full word Applications are for desktops and laptops no matter what OS they run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apps = programs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    apps = programs
    Apps = programs for phones and tablets

Programs = programs for computers
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Apps = programs for phones and tablets

Programs = programs for computers

Apps/programms/software - all the same thing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Apps/programms/software - all the same thing
    Usage varies and it can be very confusing, but in any case each type of program will only run on their respective operating systems so it's important to understand the differences. For example WinRT will run Metro apps but it can't run Windows EXE programs. Another example, iOS apps won't run on Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I've got 250+ apps accessible from portableapps menu on c drive ... can copy them to an external drive & run them on windows8 menu 'n all