"American Dad!" to move to TBS

Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
Forum Member
Stan Smith and co. are to move to basic cable:
American Dad will join fellow network expatriate Cougar Town on TBS in the fall of 2014, exploring the cable outlet’s ostensibly looser standards for cartoon violence while speaking in exotic, previously taboo swears

http://www.avclub.com/articles/american-dad-will-jump-to-tbs-ensuring-continued-p,100209/

As long as it keeps up the current high quality, then
I don't mind a shift in US channel for it. :cool:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it means less episodes per season
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    it means less episodes per season

True, but hopefully they'll be able to concentrate their
    writing talent with fewer episodes.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was moving from BBC3 with the thread title, Less episodes may make it cheaper for BBC3 to get first run rights instead of second run rights like they do now :)
  • Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Did fox allow this to move
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Did fox allow this to move

FOX own AD; they were probably behind the decision
    to move it from FOX to TBS in the first place.

On the subject of animated comedies, is anyone
    else annoyed that "Bob's Burgers" STILL isn't
    available in Region 2 DVD? :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    An interesting decision, but it doesn't mean now that ratings expectations will be lower, so it may last longer on TBS, than it would have on Fox...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    FOX own AD; they were probably behind the decision
    to move it from FOX to TBS in the first place.

Fox will likely be very pleased that TBS wanted to air new episodes considering that they'll be making more money from the show by selling it to another channel to air as opposed to them making it and airing it on their own Fox channel which would make them less money (they only see the advert revenue when they air it on Fox, and with the ratings dropping in recent years they probably won't have been seeing much money from that). Fox also still distributes the DVD's because it's a 20th Century Fox production, so it's really win-win for them. Plus, as has been mentioned, it's likely that the show will run for many more years now that's its moved to a channel with lower ratings expectations.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    American Dad will join fellow network expatriate Cougar Town on TBS in the fall of 2014, exploring the cable outlet’s ostensibly looser standards for cartoon violence while speaking in exotic, previously taboo swears
    I know that sentence is technically correct, but it makes it sound like the two shows were on the same network.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Residents fan, i am crying out for a dvd release of Bob's Burgers. I have emailed fox and still waiting for a reply

I don't like American Dad but respect how successful and popular it is so i am not gonna slag it off. However with this and Cleveland show now out the way, I would like Fox to focus more on Bob's Burgers and new non seth mcfarlane related animated shows. This could even be great news for FOX helping bring back Futurama now Comedy Central have cancelled it.
    Forum Member
    Residents fan, i am crying out for a dvd release of Bob's Burgers. I have emailed fox and still waiting for a reply

I don't like American Dad but respect how successful and popular it is so i am not gonna slag it off. However with this and Cleveland show now out the way, I would like Fox to focus more on Bob's Burgers and new non seth mcfarlane related animated shows. This could even be great news for FOX helping bring back Futurama now Comedy Central have cancelled it.

If they didn't want to keep/fight for American Dad, a show that does acceptably well, why would they resurrect a show that's failed twice?

Also, I appear to be the only person in the world that doesn't get Bob's Burgers and was somewhat offended by the autism joke in the pilot (don't know why, there was nothing overtly offensive about it, just grated me for some reason.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they didn't want to keep/fight for American Dad, a show that does acceptably well, why would they resurrect a show that's failed twice?

Also, I appear to be the only person in the world that doesn't get Bob's Burgers and was somewhat offended by the autism joke in the pilot (don't know why, there was nothing overtly offensive about it, just grated me for some reason.)

Futurama never failed and has always been a ratings success. FOX never liked the show and it is confusing why Comedy Central have dumped it. It was just a guess anyway. I don't think FOX would take interest in Futurama again.
    Forum Member
    Futurama never failed and has always been a ratings success. FOX never liked the show and it is confusing why Comedy Central have dumped it. It was just a guess anyway. I don't think FOX would take interest in Futurama again.

It's been dropped twice. Personally, that's enough of a reason to call it a failure.

But even if it was doing well for Comedy Central, cast fees increase every episode. 140 episodes is a lot, and it might simply have become too expensive for them (like The Simpsons was for Fox a few seasons ago. This is the reason why Friends ended, because NBC couldn't afford to pay each main cast member $1m+ per episode...)
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turner Broadcasting really are trying to make TBS a ‘big player’ the work of basic cable aren’t they?
    First they sign Conan O’Brien following his departure from The Tonight Show in a high profile big money deal, then they snap up from expensive syndication rights to some of the most successful sitcoms on television (like The Big Bang Theory), then they bring back Couger Town following its departure from ABC, and now they sign up American Dad. Plus countless other rumours of discussions of them bring back the likes of Happy Endings.

Anyone else think Turner Broadcasting want to have their own ‘Comedy Central’ in the form of TBS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Turner Broadcasting really are trying to make TBS a ‘big player’ the work of basic cable aren’t they?
    First they sign Conan O’Brien following his departure from The Tonight Show in a high profile big money deal, then they snap up from expensive syndication rights to some of the most successful sitcoms on television (like The Big Bang Theory), then they bring back Couger Town following its departure from ABC, and now they sign up American Dad. Plus countless other rumours of discussions of them bring back the likes of Happy Endings.

Anyone else think Turner Broadcasting want to have their own ‘Comedy Central’ in the form of TBS?

They are not picking up Happy endings, they already confirmed
    But i know what you mean as a whole
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »

I think it was doing fairly well before their aggressive expansion strategy.

And Big Bang Theory reruns do incredibly well for them, and they use them to beef up their first run content.

Interesting to note that aside from Conan and a few Tyler Perry bits and bobs, no show commissioned by TBS themselves has been successful. (I think no TBS commissioned show except Conan and Tyler Perry has even got a second series, but don't quote me on that.).
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP American Dad:(

It'll probably get axed if it's moving to a new channel.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Big Bang Theory reruns do incredibly well for them, and they use them to beef up their first run content.

Interesting to note that aside from Conan and a few Tyler Perry bits and bobs, no show commissioned by TBS themselves has been successful. (I think no TBS commissioned show except Conan and Tyler Perry has even got a second series, but don't quote me on that.).

Both Men at Work and Sullivan and Sons got a second season renewal and both do pretty well. I imagine they'll order a new animated series to be a companion show for American Dad.

TBS also acquired the off syndication rights to 2 Broke Girls so they are expanding their off network slate as well.
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Both Men at Work and Sullivan and Sons got a second season renewal and both do pretty well. I imagine they'll order a new animated series to be a companion show for American Dad.

TBS also acquired the off syndication rights to 2 Broke Girls so they are expanding their off network slate as well.

They're doing better than I thought, but I haven't really heard of either of those shows.

And of course they'd buy 2 Broke Girls, it's produced by corporate sibling Warner Bros.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I’d disagree slightly.

Five years ago TBS wasn’t anything more than a basic cable channel that aired re-runs of old sitcoms, most of them 10+ years old. And its very ‘average’ ratings reflected that. It had no real ‘image’ and a lot of people didn’t even know what channel number it was on their cable or satellite service.

Then someone, somewhere, in Turner Broadcasting decided they wanted TBS to become a major player in the basic cable world, and spend a lot of money on signing Conan O’Brien and broadcasting ‘Conan’, a new nightly late night talk show to go head to head with Comedy Central’s The Daily Show and promised ‘network sized’ audiences in the younger demographics. Then they spent a load more money on securing the syndication rights to The Big Bang Theory, fighting off a lot of competition to get them. And now they are putting more money than ever before in original programming, whether it be new programmes (The Wedding Band) or ‘saving’ popular programmes recently dropped by the big name networks, like Cougher Town and American Dad.

Has it worked? Has TBS become a basic comedy network rival for Comedy Central? No, not yet.

Conan hasn’t deliverer the ratings TBS promised (although it’s been successful enough for continual renewals), and I agree some original programming hasn’t been too successful. But there’s been some success, The Big Bang Theory reruns perform very well and Men at Work and Sullivan and Sons have got second seasons. But it’s good to see some real commitment by Turner to make TBS what they want it to be, and if they continue to work hard maybe they will achieve it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're doing better than I thought, but I haven't really heard of either of those shows.

And of course they'd buy 2 Broke Girls, it's produced by corporate sibling Warner Bros.

2BG I imagine had some interest some from the likes of FX and USA. Given that Rizzoli and Isles on sister network TNT has secured a syndication deal. It would be the best interest of TBS to produce more original comedy, I think a single camera comedy to pair with Cougar Town should be ideal, they got a new multicamera comedy from Bill Lawrence coming in 2014
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

Unfortunately, that's not true. The ratings for Fox dropped to cancellation levels which is why it was originally cancelled, it had nothing to do with them "not liking the show" (when the creator of The Simpsons came to them with an idea for another show i'm sure the Fox execs will have been jumping for joy), and now the ratings on Comedy Central have dropped considerably since the re-launch and that is why they have now cancelled it again. A new episode a couple of weeks ago got a miserable 0.4 rating in the Adults 18-49 demographic, which is really poor for a show that is likely to be fairly expensive now.

To be brutally honest though, the last two seasons of Futurama have been extremely hit and miss and it's nowhere near as good as it used to be,so it's probably for the best that it's ending (last season was particularly poor). It was still a hell of a lot better than new episodes of The Simpsons, but you could tell that they were beginning to struggle for ideas.

There's no way that Fox would bring it back to their main channel though after it failed for them AND another channel, there's just no incentive for them to resurrect it again.
    unknown17 wrote: »
    RIP American Dad:(

It'll probably get axed if it's moving to a new channel.

On the contrary, as i've said before, this move will actually be good for the prospects of the show. On Fox it probably would have had maybe one more season in it before they axed it like they did with The Cleveland Show, whereas now it's moving to TBS who will have considerably lower ratings expectations, it'll likely run for many more years than it would have on Fox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is American Dad moving to TBS I wonder if The Flintstones will go to FOX, I think they were working on it for a while, would be a good series for TBS to commission.
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Is American Dad moving to TBS I wonder if The Flintstones will go to FOX, I think they were working on it for a while, would be a good series for TBS to commission.

Fox definitely wanted it, but it got postponed because MacFarlane was too busy. Though with Cleveland likely cancelled he may have found time (although he's an exec on Dads, has 1001 Ways to Die In The West coming out, and possibly Ted 2 if Universal get their way)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke, thanks explaining Futurama to me. I can see why it was cancelled then.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Futurama failed the first time because Fox player around with it in the schedules. Dunno why it failed this time.

So if TBS didn't buy AD would it have been axed?

PJ